Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I only ever have one resolution and this year I've decided I want to learn to knit I've heard amazing things as its a good form of relaxation, can beat anxiety/stress, money saving as crafts can be good presents etc.

However I have NO idea where to start, what equipment I need or where I can learn!!

Any knitters out there who know?

ReputationRep:
    You need two knitting needles, some wool, and someone's friendly grandmother.

ReputationRep:
    try crochet-ing first you can make cute blankets from it
    It's something easier to start with My mom taught me how to do it

ReputationRep:
    there are ridiculous amounts of resources on the internet, or you could find a bool at a library.

Once you learn the basic knit and purl stitches you'll be away.
    infact you only need the knit stitch for the simplest fabric patterns like scarves.

there's a blog called techknitting which is really good if you start right back when the blog started and work your way forward.

happy knitting
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used

That book taught me to crochet and to knit, and I've never found a better book for the beginner.

However, there's lots of sites devoted to knitting on the interent, which include you-tube tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of learning how to knit too actually I used to do dress making and I'd buy magazines which I found helpful, the same publishers do ones for knitting so it might be worth looking into them. You can get them from Asda and WH Smith.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ask someone who knows how to knit to teach you, like a grandparent

ReputationRep:
    Youtube taught me how to knit.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of clubs and societies out there that do knitting classes or sessions. I'm a member of one. Very good for anxiety and relaxing.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt to knit from my nan and learnt to crochet on youtube.

Literally just buy a set of needles and a ball of wool and youtube away. You will find many have a 'knit along with me' video and a link to the pattern so you can use the pattern as a stand alone when you become more confident

Its a great hobby though. Its stress reducing and you can make all sorts of random cute oddities. I make jumpers and scarves/hats/gloves for myself and others. Plus I made a tea cosy for my new tea pot (I'm that cool) and I am currently addicted to Amigurumi - GOGGLE IMAGE IT OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to learn how to knit and I've been considering it a lot lately. Love the idea of knitting my own socks, hats, scarves, gloves, jumpers and dresses!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    So I only ever have one resolution and this year I've decided I want to learn to knit I've heard amazing things as its a good form of relaxation, can beat anxiety/stress, money saving as crafts can be good presents etc.

However I have NO idea where to start, what equipment I need or where I can learn!!

hiya
    Me too,I want to learn how to knit so I can make booties and cute little jumpers for my future babies.

My mother learned when she was 7 using blades of grass and she taught my sister when she was 5.I am shamefully in my 20's and still can't knit.

I was advised to start with number 4 knitting needles and slightly thick thread.There are 4/5 steps (depending on your knitting method).It's easier when you are removing your knit at step 4 to complete your stitch.

Enjoy and good luck

ReputationRep:
    I've invested in a cath kidston learn to knit stuff for £12 which includes a book and a project scarf- fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)

If you go into a shop which sells wool and the people SHOULD know how to knit, they can help you. Ask about a knit stitch - start off with this one. Thicker wool is better for scarves and they're a lot easier. I chose thin wool for my first project - AWFUL idea. The internet is great but for me personally it's easier to see someone do it infront of me. Practice helps and you WILL mess up. My friend and I added in so many stitches without even realising we done it and dropped stitches! It's really crazy what you can do without even realising it.
    Don't get a cath kidston thing, they're over priced.
    Wool can be quite expensive but charity shops sell them as do some markets, check around the stalls! Good luck, it's really therapeutic!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.