What decent jobs do not require a degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of not doing a degree.
    Is Plumbing/electrician a good career?

ReputationRep:
    1 Define 'required'.
    2 Define 'good'.

Personally, though there are careers which do not technically require a university degree, you'd be the exception instead of the rule. However you could turn very wealthy by starting your own company. Otherwise stuff like oil platforms could make a decent amount of money, but it's pretty difficult to have a real career.

Plumber / electrician normally doesn't lead to a career, but you staying in the same position for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    It's often very lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely beed to be qualified by doing a degree or an apprenticeship where u get the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Plumbing is good, so long as you know what your doing and answer your phone! However, you will be stuck doing the same position for a long time (as already mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    i always thought a good career that didn't need a degree was joining the police

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed11e)
    However, you will be stuck doing the same position for a long time (as already mentioned)
    yep. On your back looking up at the U-bend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    i always thought a good career that didn't need a degree was joining the police
    They want a degree now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    They want a degree now
    http://policerecruitment.homeoffice....ble/index.html

Plenty of them. Not got a job? Go create one. You don't need a formal education system to hold your hand all the time. Just take the plunge and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Plenty of them. Not got a job? Go create one. You don't need a formal education system to hold your hand all the time. Just take the plunge and go for it.
    Easier said than done?

(Original post by Little Wing)
    Easier said than done?
    Nobody said it would be easy. It's bound to pay dividends in the end. Of course, it does depend on things like personal talent, but if you are capable of thinking about these things AND getting a degree I don't see why it can't be done.

Granted, it isn't for everybody. Look at some of the dribbling morons holding degrees and prancing around without working a day in their lives. It wouldn't suit them, but if you have the drive and the desire to succeed you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Off of the top of my head-
    Skilled trade jobs
    Accountant
    Armed Forces
    Police
    Fire service

Although a degree would certain help career progression in all of those, I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Oil baron. Sierra Leonian warlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    They want a degree now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    That's only for the Met Police. And they'll probably open up recruitment to everyone in a few years, but for now they're just running a fast track grad scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Air traffic controllers are well-paid (60k) and I dont think you need a degree for that

ReputationRep:
    You can probably get into most jobs with enough of the right experience. Work your way up. Do internships and work experience. Volunteer. Network. A degree may teach you lots of specific knowledge, but in the most part, recruiters are looking for transferable skills. These don't necessarily have to come from a degree. If you only had a degree and no work experience or internships to speak of, you wouldn't get very far at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    yep. On your back looking up at the U-bend.
    Lol, that or with your head down a manhole :P

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.