Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Change surname when married? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    Firstly, BE A MAN.

Second, every time I see someone with a double barrel surname I want to shoot them. So unnecessary, and they only do it because they have this misguided idea it makes them "more special" in some way :facepalm2:

Ultimately, I would say I'd be alright with my wife keeping her name, but our kids would have to have my name. Only my name, no double barrel bullls***.
    I just don't like my surname, and if I like her name then I don't see how it makes me less of a man in accepting it.

Second twas a Friends reference.

ReputationRep:
    People I know getting married currently (eg females in their 20s and 30s) have always changed their names, but I imagine it's declining slightly in popularity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemogirl)
    is it weird that i would find that such a turn on if my future husband said it to me :eek:
    youre such a girly girl :cool:

(Original post by Lucy Pevensie)
      In Britain today, is it still common for the woman to change her surname to the husbands surname after marriage, or is this practice considered sexist?
      From the recent weddings I have been to, yes it is pretty common... my future wife wants to hyphenate her name which is going to be a right bugger... her last name is very long and my last name is also fairly long (not as long though but long enough)... just do as you feel is right

ReputationRep:
      It's still very common as far as I've seen, although I personally know two women who didn't. My sociology teacher kept her name and my Gender & Women's tutor combined her surname with her husband's.

ReputationRep:
      Firstly, BE A MAN.

Second, every time I see someone with a double barrel surname I want to shoot them. So unnecessary, and they only do it because they have this misguided idea it makes them "more special" in some way :facepalm2:

Ultimately, I would say I'd be alright with my wife keeping her name, but our kids would have to have my name. Only my name, no double barrel bullls***.
      Wow, someone negged me at '31-12-2012 23:58'. Is that really the best thing you have to be doing with your life 2minutes before the New Year?

Double or tripled barrelled only works if you are wealthy and I take it you are not thus you intense dislike of Double and/or tripled barrelled surnames? I personally don't mind Double or tripled barrelled surnames but then again I have grown up around people that have such names so it does not bother me.

ReputationRep:
        Can I ask, is it weird for a male to change their surname to that of the woman they are marrying?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CasualSoul)
        I wouldn't mind too much tbh as long as he wasn't like 'muhaha you're mine now'
        well you kinda are, unless you plan to cheat on him

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tehFrance)
        Double or tripled barrelled only works if you are wealthy and I take it you are not thus you intense dislike of Double and/or tripled barrelled surnames? I personally don't mind Double or tripled barrelled surnames but then again I have grown up around people that have such names so it does not bother me.
        Double barrelled makes me want to shoot them, triple barrelled makes me want to shoot myself :facepalm2:

No, wealth never really crossed my mind. Though now that you mention it, most of the people I know with double-barrel surnames are pretentious middle class people, and seems like they only do it because they think it adds some air of prestige or whatever. I guess that's the real reason for my indignation at barrelled surnames.

Though I guess when you come from a very wealthy/highly reputed family, its even more reason you wouldnt want your name lost. Especially if husband & wife both come from "great" families, it can confer extra benefits for you and your kids to carry both names. For example, if I was a Rothschild woman and got married, then I would have a double barrel surname.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SirRamAlot)
        well you kinda are, unless you plan to cheat on him
        True lol but if they said it in a scary way like MUHAHAH YOUR MINE NOW!! after being super kind so you would marry them and then they turn evil :cool:lol

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What time of year is the worst for students?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.