Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there really a "special relationship" between the UK and USA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there really is, to be honest. Most White Americans are of German and Irish ancestry, not British. Also the Hispanic population is way bigger than the British population.

Furthermore, the US political system is based on the European Republic system, not the British system.

Basically, I don't think that the Americans feel they have much kinship with the British. They like our culture in a very stereotypical, old fashioned way, as represented by Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

However, I think that Americans identify culturally with Ireland and Continental Europe far more than they identify with the UK.

For example, the US government's currently policy is to pretty much support Argentina over the Falkland Islands dispute, and Obama ever referred to the islands as "Las Malvinas".

It is becoming clear that even Raegan, undeniably a pro-British president, was unhappy with the UK re-taking the Falkland Islands from Argentina.

These days there are so many Hispanics in the US and so many other groups that have no real affinity for the British, I find it hard to believe that the US would support us if Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands again.

I mean, would Hispanic Americans really be happy about the US government supporting the UK against Argentina, a fellow Hispanic nation? I doubt it somehow.

ReputationRep:
    The "special relationship" is more to do with achieving shared goals in global economics and foreign policy rather than ethnic or cultural ties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    I don't think there really is, to be honest. Most White Americans are of German and Irish ancestry, not British. Also the Hispanic population is way bigger than the British population.
    No actually. Most Americans claim German and Irish ancestry, but consider the fact that up to 1980 British-Americans were by far the largest ethnic group, and every decade the number of people claiming British ancestry markedly falls and there is a corresponding number of people claiming to be 'just' American, then it's plain to see that British people are more likely to intergrate and become simply American due to the similarity in cultures, while those from mixed heritages are more likely to claim to be from the more 'exotic' or differianted culture rather than British. But whether they claim it or not, the fact is that a plurality if not a majority of Americans have British heritage.

But anyway, that's irrelevant. Whatever the ancestry of the average American, those in charge clearly don't think anything special of Britain so we should respond in kind.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_people

Click on each link. Scroll down to 'significant populations'.

Compare with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...c_distribution

What you've said is not true. Certainly, the Irish have made the biggest impact in ratio to the small size of the island's population, but they don't, by any means, account for all or even most of white Americans along with Germans.

Note that many have interbred so that while they tend to have a mixed white European ancestry, it isn't pure and I don't believe you are anyone who can represent the views on white Americans, such as what they identify with. Chances are they don't identify with Europe unless they've had a recent immigrant ancestor.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people in the South who have English ancestry say their ancestry is 'American'

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with race. It's about common geopolitical goals. Furthermore, the average American knows that the UK is an important ally, but most have never even heard of the "special relationship." The term is common in UK media but largely unheard of in the US, even in the morel liberal publications.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Obama say France was his closest Ally?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    There is no special relationship anymore, they reject their ancestry and true history but that doesn't matter, America will be on its tod soon, wishing we were still BFF's. All the while the ever looming shadows of Russia and China get closer and closer...not to mention the middle-east. It's best the UK stays out of this kerfuffle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callan)
    Didn't Obama say France was his closest Ally?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    And Australia. But that's just cause he likes Men At Work.

ReputationRep:
    Politically speaking, the "special relationship" is a sham for the UK. They just follow the US around like some lost little boy.

Trust me, I should know, I'm the President.

ReputationRep:
    Militarily, yes.

The US is in a steady decline, Britain should look for stronger relations elsewhere - yes I'm looking at you Australia and Canada....

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have a lot to do with race, it's more of a political thing.

(Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Militarily, yes.

The US is in a steady decline, Britain should look for stronger relations elsewhere - yes I'm looking at you Australia and Canada....

And just what have they got in terms of military? They've only got resources, nothing militarily compared with the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    It doesn't have a lot to do with race, it's more of a political thing.

And just what have they got in terms of military? They've only got resources, nothing militarily compared with the US.
    The Australian and Canadian Armed Forces are pretty damn good, whilst they're not as strong in numbers as the US they are still very competent.

ReputationRep:
    Far less so than previously. Still a good ally to have but one that would be far more useful if we didn't guarantee our support.

In terms of the military it very good to have cooperation, in terms of deploying power across the globe the US is on a different level to the competition. With the US's military spending, cooperating in procuring essential military supplies could be useful, and certainly the NATO standardisation is very helpful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Australian and Canadian Armed Forces are pretty damn good, whilst they're not as strong in numbers as the US they are still very competent.
    Given the choice between getting in a war with America in coalition with Canada and Australia and getting in a war with Canada and Australia with America onside I know which I'm going to choose...

The sheer amount America spends on its military is mind blowing.

ReputationRep:
    There's is no relationship. Think of presidents of all the countries as managers. There is always someone higher up and there is someone/group at the top.

You will never find out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is.

They whistle..we come.

ReputationRep:
    No, what a complete joke. America was responsible or the breakup of the British empire after ww2.

the only special relationship America has is with Israel.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Adileh)
    No, what a complete joke. America was responsible or the breakup of the British empire after ww2.

the only special relationship America has is with Israel.
    The empire would have broken up regardless. America merely put more pressure on the UK over empire.

We trade with them loads, work together on military development, intelligent gathering. We trade with them and have mutual goals on a number of issues as well as a similar world view. Maybe the special relationship of say Reagan and Thatcher is long gone but there is a lot to our relations with America. Far more than the we do what they say. Britain acts just as much out of self interest as America will do.

ReputationRep:
    Militarily, yes.

And the UK military is not in decline because? Furthermore the US is still ridiculously powerful. Their military makes the rest of the world's militaries look like a cheap joke. And the Australian and Canadian armies are not serious. All those countries have going for them is that they are a) huge b) full of resources and c) Western. Their populations are pretty small and they don't have much military tradition.

Your sig is pure gold btw!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.