Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prisoners and the vote Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think that Prisoners should or should not get the vote?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you?

Personally, I can see the point in giving it to them. They are locked up by a regime that they then have no say in the running off.

However, those in prison for life I wouldn't give the vote. Those in for months/a few years then sure I see no problem with them voting to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am doing a ESU debate on the issue so just picking a few brains :P

ReputationRep:
    They have been removed from society becuase they can be trusted to participate in it.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I think those whose sentences end in the term of the Government for which they would be voting should be permitted to vote. There is no fair alternative to this.

ReputationRep:
    What about people on remand who have not yet been tried? Shouldn't they be allowed to vote?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would love to see people that don't meet a certain IQ be denied the right to vote; but then that would be equivalent to the government choosing the electorate and not how it should be, the other way round.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    They are in prison because they have broke the law. Most law breakers have taken someones rights away in the process of breaking the law. If they miss out on the elections that is there problem as they should not have broken the law. I personally see it as a consequence of there actions.

ReputationRep:
    No, they shouldn't have the right to vote. The right to vote is a right of a good, law-abiding citizen; they haven't, therefore they shouldn't have the right while they're incarcerated.

Giving them the right gives them a right they shouldn't be entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    Voting should be a universal right. The state should have absolutely no way of stopping somebody from voting (by for example placing them in prison for a crime they didn't commit).

ReputationRep:
    they should have the right to vote, they are in prison for punishment as well as rehabilitation, the term in the contract would be a termed isolation from the society, no other human rights should be violated. The government is the government of all people, it is the government of inmates as well, a truly democracy leaves no one out. Prisoners may have forfeited their right of total freedom for a period of time, but in no way should their voting right be taken away, there's no reason to.

ReputationRep:
    Against my instinct that only people who understand politics and the issues should be given the vote - I think we have to give it to everyone, including prisoners. They may be affected only negligibly by whoever wins, but since we're trying to be a democracy I think we should avoid being hypocritical about human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Voting should be a universal right. The state should have absolutely no way of stopping somebody from voting (by for example placing them in prison for a crime they didn't commit).
    Maybe we should ban prisons as there might be people sent to them who are innocent :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Against my instinct that only people who understand politics and the issues should be given the vote - I think we have to give it to everyone, including prisoners. They may be affected only negligibly by whoever wins, but since we're trying to be a democracy I think we should avoid being hypocritical about human rights.
    How is the west being hypocritical regarding human rights by denying prisoners the vote. I think you are so over the top that your statement is preposterous

I also think that we need to re-define the criteria for human rights.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really think of a reason why they shouldn't, if you argue that prinsoners lose certain rights or privilages then you have to justify specifically why these should be removed. For example, you can argue that imprisoning people e.g. removing their freedom is justified because these people have shown themselves to be a danger to society and imprisoning them until they are reformed (if possible) will protect society. Following from this, you would have to demonstrate why specifically allowing prisoners to vote would be similarly dangerous to society, and personally I can't think of a reason why it would be.

ReputationRep:
    They should have the right to vote. They are governed by policies decided on by the electorate. Do you want them to be rehabilitated into society or ostracised from it completely?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    What about people on remand who have not yet been tried? Shouldn't they be allowed to vote?
    Yes. They're innocent until proven guilty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Yes. They're innocent until proven guilty.
    No they should not, it is simply not viable to set up polling booths at prisons, remand or not.

If you are on remand then you have missed your chance to vote, tough luck.

Personally I believe that once you have been imprisoned you should never be able to vote again
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Islander)
    No they should not, it is simply not viable to set up polling booths at prisons, remand or not.

If you are on remand then you have missed your chance to vote, tought luck.

Please use your head.
    Does that include those who are actually innocent?

I have used my head. You are innocent until proven guilty and should be treated that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Does that include those who are actually innocent?

I have used my head. You are innocent until proven guilty and should be treated that way.
    if you are in prison on remand innocent or not, you have lost your chance, get over it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.