Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im currently in the midst of writing my proposal, its a practice fantasy one for my university.

however i was just wondering if i wanted to study two things , for example gender differences as well as cultural differences on perception of attractiveness.
    can i state in the methods section , that im using lab experiment and then state i will use the same paradigm in 4 different countries ? is that realistic ?
    im not sure whether to keep it simple with just doing gender differences or too do a cross-cultural study?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically you wouldn't be able to easily get data from other countries!! However, since it is just a fantasy, you could look at whether gender differences are stable across cultures. You would need to look at the literature and find a known gender difference established in a study done like in USA or UK then you could propose to see if its exists across cultures? If it has to be something that you could actually study then maybe this is not something you could do for an undergrad study.

ReputationRep:
    Well there certainly are some studies which are conducted across several countries, such as Other Race Effect ones in Cognitive Psychology so as long as you could use a scenario where you would be working with other people in theory then that would be fine.

Any research proposal would be based on previous research so you'd have to find some evidence of already existing differences in different countries/cultures etc. as is the case with the ORE.

ReputationRep:
    I meant in terms of for an undergraduate assignment, you'll hardly have funding to go to another country to get data, not that it is impossible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.