Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Same, wanted them true purely for a British representative......

Exactly- it was just a stupid decision. That referee should be struck off the lift for UEFA, i'm still hurting inside about that game.
    Too much of a double standards in the whole thing really, not just that incident.

Punishment not given for something that usually is = consistency issues, turns up in news, discussed for a long time with regards to how refs make decisions.

Punishment given for something that is hardly ever given = just a one off, no issue with consistency, not allowed to be brought up any time it happens in another game.

Reality is they are exactly the same,outliers in usual decision making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Too much of a double standards in the whole thing really, not just that incident.

Punishment not given for something that usually is = consistency issues, turns up in news, discussed for a long time with regards to how refs make decisions.

Punishment given for something that is hardly ever given = just a one off, no issue with consistency, not allowed to be brought up any time it happens in another game.

Reality is they are exactly the same,outliers in usual decision making.
    If players can be given retrospective punishment, why can't referees? The most annoying thing about it was that Arbeloa did exactly the same thing to Evra in 1st half and got no punishment, so he couldn't even show consistency to his own rules.

And agree on the decision not being talked about if it is hardly given. For some reason European refs hate British sides, we were cheated in the Bernebaeu as well, Varane should have been sent off for his foul on Evra. God these decisions **** me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidbazzy)
    Surely Martinez's tackle today on Arteta i think it was, was worse than Nani's? Still can't get over Nani's red card.... ludicrous decision by that stupid flippin ref! Winning the double this year would be amazing though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2lqmVjx_uTE

^the above from the Porto - Malaga game is worse still...apparently the bloke wasn't even booked for it!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it is.

The important fact is though, as determined by both Webbs post match comments, the FA ruling, and the general facts, the action was not violent conduct.
    So you admit it was a foul but don't think it was violent conduct? What do you think it was a mistimed challenge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    So you admit it was a foul but don't think it was violent conduct? What do you think it was a mistimed challenge?
    Unsporting behaviour, yellow card offence.

Similar to off the ball professional fouls

Not enough force and not enough intent to injure for it to be considered violent tbh

ReputationRep:

Not enough force and not enough intent to injure for it to be considered violent tbh
    Intent to injure doesn't come into it. "Violent conduct occurs when a
    player is guilty of aggression towards an opponent even if not challenging for the ball"

ReputationRep:

Lets be honest in a european tie away from home it would have been a red card offence. Remember when nasri got sent off for doing the pussiest of headbutts to bassong? Not enough intent to injure but an off the ball incident nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lets be honest in a european tie away from home it would have been a red card offence. Remember when nasri got sent off for doing the pussiest of headbutts to bassong? Not enough intent to injure but an off the ball incident nonetheless.
    And the John Terry one on Sanchez (admittedly more dangerous but same concept.)

ReputationRep:
    And the John Terry one on Sanchez (admittedly more dangerous but same concept.)
    Yeah, that what was I was implying by european tie away from home.

ReputationRep:
    Intent to injure doesn't come into it. "Violent conduct occurs when a
    player is guilty of aggression towards an opponent even if not challenging for the ball"
    Definition of violence = "Using or involving physical force intended to hurt..."

It order for the conduct to be violent it has to abide by what the word violent actually means.

Terrys was similar but a knee to the back of the leg shows more aggression than tripping someone up.

The actual definition for violent conduct used is

Aplayer is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.
    Clearly not brutality, and to say tripping someone is excessive use of force then you must think professional fouls, and other incidents, that happen off the ball are too . If that is true we would see atleast one or two red cards every single game

Now shall we look at what they write about unsporting behaviour?

Unsporting behaviour(Law12,C1)
    This includes a multitude of offences, contrary to the spirit of the Law. It includes examples of deliberately tripping, pushing, charging or impeding; indeed, the committing of any of the penal offences, time wasting (not time consuming) kicking the ball away or into goal after
    play has been stopped, etc

ReputationRep:
    Rooney, Welbeck, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Smalling and Ferdinand in England squad

ReputationRep:
    Tbh based on form I can't see how his name couldn't have been in the hat. The only really credible challenge at present I can think of would be Cahill.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose those football reasons have now gone away :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Tbh based on form I can't see how his name couldn't have been in the hat. The only really credible challenge at present I can think of would be Cahill.
    Really?

He's atrocious. Dawson deserves a call up on merit. Would probably have Lescott and Smalling(despite the lack of game time) over Cahill too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Really?

He's atrocious. Dawson deserves a call up on merit. Would probably have Lescott and Smalling(despite the lack of game time) over Cahill too.
    I mean that was big part of it. The only one who is getting any real game time of any quality is Cahill. I guess Dawson too, hadn't really thought about him.

ReputationRep:
    We should get Zaha in the England squad asap and in theory we could have 8 out of 10 of the outfield positions of Englands players as United players, and not bad ones too ;D

**** it, just buy Luke Shaw and have 9.

ReputationRep:
    Well deserved, been the standout English CB this season, particularly over the last couple of months. Just highlights what an atrocious bit of managing Hodgson leaving him out in the first place was. Annoying timing with our Saturday-Monday turnaround just after though, I imagine it'll be Vidic in one and Rio in the other.

Kind of hope the ridiculous consistent overlooking of Carrick continues, be nice if he got a bit of a rest while Scott Parker runs around being 'gritty' and 'determined'.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see that some sense has been knocked into Hodgson.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I watch Dembele play I wish he moved to us last summer instead of Spurs. Every aspect of him game is at least solid, and he has a great physical presence and is exceptionally skillful on the ball. Would complement Carrick very well I think, both underrated in their own way but both deceptively effective.

Not that Carrick and Cleverley are a bad partnership by any stretch, but I do think our squad is still short of a midfield option and for me Dembele would have been a perfect fit.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I really dislike Sir Alex Ferguson as a man utd fan. His decisions on not buying strong and robust midfielder are very bad . I mean look at dembele, how can you not sighn him up? he better than cleverley and anderson put together and most importantly is consistant in showing his qualities (unlike cleverly and anderson).
    I mean Sir Alex is so picky, his philosophy is buying is Quality=Price of money. So the greater quality=greater price of player is. That has mainly worked out for him over the years, but HIS perception of a quality players varies. And I really do not know how a club like man utd have missed out on Dembele, he showed his quality in one of the last games of the season last year against man utd-and still he showed not interest-it's like why? I don't understand, are they slow to pick out quality players in their scouting system? Its like FFS.

Just imagine: Dembele---Carrick
    -------- Kagawa--------

Best midfield contender of Europe potentially. Dembele with is his huge presence and carrick with his passing, leaving Kagawa to do what he wants.

Sometimes I want a younger manager like giggs to replace Sir Alex for the good of the club, I just find Sir alex is being very slow in everything (no disrespect to him), it is a fact of life-everyone gets old-he is not superman.
    I think it will eventually effect Man Utd as a football club. I hope he is the first to recognise that and not someone telling him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.