Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    He should be ahead of Reina and Valdes anyway. Valdes is absolutely balls and this is coming from a Barcelona fan. Reina nothing special for a season or two. Also as you said Casillas barely recovered so perfect time for De Gea.
    I think De Gea will start against Finland and they will probably start Valdes for the match against France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Not really, we already played them this season.
    I'd say a ~75% chance of a CL semi though, would have been a dull draw yes but assuming we got to the semis would have been worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't Vincent del Bosque regard de Gea as a 3rd choice keeper? He should be 1st choice. But just putting him behind Reina is an insult to him. Putting any keeper behind Reina is an insult. Reina's awful. It should have been Diego Lopez instead of Reina selected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    I'd say a ~75% chance of a CL semi though, would have been a dull draw yes but assuming we got to the semis would have been worth it.
    They're a better team than they get credit for, I wouldn't be confident playing them again. They deserved at least a draw here (which they didn't get) and beat us in Lisbon and that was even before their big name signings. Plus Burak Yilmaz is on fire up front this year in Europe.

I'd always rather face the biggest teams, you gotta beat them at some point to win the damn thing anyway. Like 1998/99 we beat Internazionale, Juventus and Bayern Munchen, who were the best other teams in Europe that season; so there was no doubt we deserved to win it. If you get easy draws and the big teams get knocked out and you win it that way there's always a question mark over it. I don't want to be Porto or Liverpool, if we're going to win the EC at all I want to win it as the legitimate best team in Europe that season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    They're a better team than they get credit for, I wouldn't be confident playing them again. They deserved at least a draw here (which they didn't get) and beat us in Lisbon and that was even before their big name signings. Plus Burak Yilmaz is on fire up front this year in Europe.

I'd always rather face the biggest teams, you gotta beat them at some point to win the damn thing anyway. Like 1998/99 we beat Internazionale, Juventus and Bayern Munchen, who were the best other teams in Europe that season; so there was no doubt we deserved to win it. If you get easy draws and the big teams get knocked out and you win it that way there's always a question mark over it. I don't want to be Porto or Liverpool, if we're going to win the EC at all I want to win it as the legitimate best team in Europe that season.
    In fairness the side we sent over there was nowhere near good enough to get anything, Carrick CB from what I remember, Powell playing, and that diamond we experimented with when we were forcing ourselves to play down the middle so we'd have a more varied attack later in the season (ie now). We'd be considerable favourites against them, we're a stronger team than earlier in the season. Can defend as well as attack, who'd have thought it...

I agree with the sentiment but I think if we ran through Madrid, Galatasary then two of Barca/Bayern/Juve/Dortmund there'd be no questions asked.

Time to forget though. Always get a bit worried playing teams around managerial changes, never know what to expect. Southampton's 2nd half was probably the best i've seen against us all season. Hope to see RVP return to his best, think we can afford to get Kagawa, Welbeck, Rooney and RVP all out. Maybe rest Rio with the international games in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    In fairness the side we sent over there was nowhere near good enough to get anything, Carrick CB from what I remember, Powell playing, and that diamond we experimented with when we were forcing ourselves to play down the middle so we'd have a more varied attack later in the season (ie now). We'd be considerable favourites against them, we're a stronger team than earlier in the season. Can defend as well as attack, who'd have thought it...

I agree with the sentiment but I think if we ran through Madrid, Galatasary then two of Barca/Bayern/Juve/Dortmund there'd be no questions asked.

Time to forget though. Always get a bit worried playing teams around managerial changes, never know what to expect. Southampton's 2nd half was probably the best i've seen against us all season. Hope to see RVP return to his best, think we can afford to get Kagawa, Welbeck, Rooney and RVP all out. Maybe rest Rio with the international games in mind.
    I think the narrow diamond is our best formation but yeah we did send a weakened team over there. Despite that we played far better with the kids in Istanbul than the first team did at Old Trafford. Based on the way the 2 games went the scorelines should've been flipped around but it worked out in the end.

A lot of teams in relegation battles seem to have used sacking a manager as a means to get the players to rally around and fight harder for survival. Remember West Ham beat us 1-0 at their place a few years ago during a manager change. I think we'll have too much for Reading at home but I hate playing 2nd in the title race, if City win and close the gap to 9 before we play it does put a slight bit of pressure back on.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2289219

Matchday thread for the Reading game!

ReputationRep:
    Quite hopeful Everton will do us a favour. No Yaya Toure for Man City and I believe they've lost 1-0 in their last two visits to Goodison. Not holding my breath though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Quite hopeful Everton will do us a favour. No Yaya Toure for Man City and I believe they've lost 1-0 in their last two visits to Goodison. Not holding my breath though.
    It's going well so far - 1-0 Everton! Let's hope they don't concede.

ReputationRep:
    Everton have been all over City so far. Yaya has migraine

ReputationRep:
    Everton down to 10 now, hopefully they can hold on.

ReputationRep:
    Think City will get at least a point. Hopefully not...

ReputationRep:
    Naismith has been absolutely useless for everton.... Not even working that hard for the team or making a difference.... Should have kept Mirallas on

ReputationRep:
    Jelavic

ReputationRep:
    come onnnnnnn u everton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is red. Can't wait to claim our trophy back at the ethiad LOL

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Well Everton won 2-0, now for us to beat Reading.

ReputationRep:
    Chance for 15 points ahead, fantastic.

Best thing is City don't even look that good, they were poor today despite getting practically everything in their favour, up until that penalty call. So what are the chances of us beating them by more? ;D would be so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    Manchester is red. Can't wait to claim our trophy back at the ethiad LOL

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    It's at Old Trafford mate

ReputationRep:
    We can win the league at Sunderland if we win against reading and man city win their next game.. Winning the league where we lost it.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.