Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't he voted best young player of the year by some award too?

SAF trying to mould him into a true CM just hasn't worked.

I'd say sell him, but given a still think we lack depth and competition in midfield now, I'm not sure I'd be happy having one less given only in my dreams will we sign two CMs

ReputationRep:
    7 wins in the next 9 games and we set records for most wins and highest points in a season, Fa cup comes first but something to aim for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Just shows how ridiculous that record is
    Mourinho factor. Just went on a stupid run near the end of the season. ****ing anelka stopped us from being unbeaten so arsenal fans use anelka's goal as a reason to justify their squad being better than ours at the time. :facepalm2:

Last year at madrid was even more ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    When we do win the 20th PL title (even if SAF is preaching caution), what should be done to commerate the achievement?

A friend on another forum suggested that like Juventus, who apparently have two stars on their shirts to represent titles won (my friend said it was for twenty league titles?) and maybe that woulldn't be a bad way to symbolise our unique achievement but there should be some recognition on the shirts for that. Or we get to keep the twentieth PL league title in our cabinet rather than a replica, like UEFA do once a side wins the EC for a fifth time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    When we do win the 20th PL title (even if SAF is preaching caution), what should be done to commerate the achievement?

A friend on another forum suggested that like Juventus, who apparently have two stars on their shirts to represent titles won (my friend said it was for twenty league titles?) and maybe that woulldn't be a bad way to symbolise our unique achievement but there should be some recognition on the shirts for that. Or we get to keep the twentieth PL league title in our cabinet rather than a replica, like UEFA do once a side wins the EC for a fifth time?
    Yeah should get the stars on it tbh.
    Juve have 28 league titles(they have it this season) so have 2 gold stars.

ReputationRep:
    Just what, exactly, needs to happen for us to get presented the trophy at the Emirates? If we win it for sure with a win at the villa game, is it presented in the Arsenal game (guard of honour?)? If a win against Arsenal seals it, is it presented after the game?

Can you imagine Arsenal fans seeing RvP lift the trophy on that day? Winning the title at City isn't very likely, so i'd like to go out with some kind of memorable bang.

ReputationRep:
    Rios pulled out of England squad

Replaced by Caulker

"..but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible."

"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme."

Basically has a set training regime to likely deal with Uniteds run in with PL and FA cup games and joining the England squad would disturb that

ReputationRep:
    Just what, exactly, needs to happen for us to get presented the trophy at the Emirates? If we win it for sure with a win at the villa game, is it presented in the Arsenal game (guard of honour?)? If a win against Arsenal seals it, is it presented after the game?

Can you imagine Arsenal fans seeing RvP lift the trophy on that day? Winning the title at City isn't very likely, so i'd like to go out with some kind of memorable bang.
    Arsenal weren't presented with the trophy at OT in 2002 AFAIK nor at WHL in 2004 as I remember a big ceremonies at the final games at Highbury so I think you'd lift it at the final home game. But it would still grate as the players would stick around for an hour post match celebrating which would obviously grate. Plus Wenger having to congratulate Fergie at the Emirates would be humiliating of course.

RVP would feel very embarrassed lifting the trophy with 60,000 hissing at him anyway. You might argue that winning it at the Emirates would just justify his move, but nobody would likes been made aware of how much of a classless **** he is. I'm sure he'd prefer to lift it in the serene atmosphere of Old Trafford.

Hoping you have it wrapped up by that game anyway and play a skeleton team. Wouldnt mind playing RVP in his current form wither way and I'd quite enjoy abusing him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Arsenal weren't presented with the trophy at OT in 2002 AFAIK nor at WHL in 2004 as I remember a big ceremonies at the final games at Highbury so I think you'd lift it at the final home game. But it would still grate as the players would stick around for an hour post match celebrating which would obviously grate. Plus Wenger having to congratulate Fergie at the Emirates would be humiliating of course.

RVP would feel very embarrassed lifting the trophy with 60,000 hissing at him anyway. You might argue that winning it at the Emirates would just justify his move, but nobody would likes been made aware of how much of a classless **** he is. I'm sure he'd prefer to lift it in the serene atmosphere of Old Trafford.

Hoping you have it wrapped up by that game anyway and play a skeleton team. Wouldnt mind playing RVP in his current form wither way and I'd quite enjoy abusing him...
    Chelsea also lifted the trophy vs bolton at home in 05 iirc. Doesn't make sense lifting the trophy away from home(unless it's the case of last season or the 09-10 season)

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it'll still be in the last home game, against Swansea

ReputationRep:
    Its extremely unfair for the press and fans to get on Rio's back for rejecting his move for England and choosing United instead, as SAF trusted him to start for the biggest club games of the year and a massive tie against Madrid when Hodgson didn't even put him in the WC squad for footballing reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have liked to have him play purely to show how much of a nonsensical decision it was by Roy to snub him for "footballing reasons" but the long-term is the priority. Had he not played the big matches he has had of late, then I'd imagine he might have played one of the games but this training regime he is on has been done off United's back so I don't see why England should enjoy the fruits of its labour for having done jack all to contribute for his physical well-being.

Rio's going to take criticism but he'll get over it. No matter what Hodgson says, he's made a few mistakes in regards to communication with Rio/United and I imagine he probably won't consider Rio again IMO.

ReputationRep:

It's presented at the last home game of the season. The only way it's presented away is if there are no home fixtures remaining after the date it's won - as was the case when we lifted it at Goodison in 2003.

ReputationRep:
    Some random records we could break

9 games left. (4 home, 5 away)

24 wins - Win 6 more out of the 9 and we beat Chelseas record of 29 wins in a season.

14 home wins - Win all four left and we equal the home wins record set by United 10/11, City 11/12 and Chelsea 05/06

10 away wins - Win all 5 left and we equal Chelseas 04/05 record of 15

2 draws - 3 draws is currently the lowest in total by Chelsea 97/98.

74 points - Get 22 out of the 27 points left and we beat Chelsea 04/05 record of 95 points

ReputationRep:
    Some random records we could break

9 games left. (4 home, 5 away)

24 wins - Win 6 more out of the 9 and we beat Chelseas record of 29 wins in a season.

14 home wins - Win all four left and we equal the home wins record set by United 10/11, City 11/12 and Chelsea 05/06

10 away wins - Win all 5 left and we equal Chelseas 04/05 record of 15

2 draws - 3 draws is currently the lowest in total by Chelsea 97/98.

74 points - Get 22 out of the 27 points left and we beat Chelsea 04/05 record of 95 points
    Every record involves chelsea :lol:
    You guys should have carried on the pinball matches so you could beat our goals per season record on top of it(103 thanks to wigan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Every record involves chelsea :lol:
    You guys should have carried on the pinball matches so you could beat our goals per season record on top of it(103 thanks to wigan)
    Ye i know :hmpf:

I remember when we were on course to score around the same amount, won't happen now, and our chance of letting the least amount of goals in for the season probably ended by November anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ye i know :hmpf:

I remember when we were on course to score around the same amount, won't happen now, and our chance of letting the least amount of goals in for the season probably ended by November anyway.
    That record is still ridiculous. Think we got 30 clean sheets that season too. Would have beat arsenals unbeaten record were it not for nicolas ****ing anelka and there'd be absolutely no argument that our team wasn't better than their 04 team :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    That record is still ridiculous. Think we got 30 clean sheets that season too. Would have beat arsenals unbeaten record were it not for nicolas ****ing anelka and there'd be absolutely no argument that our team wasn't better than their 04 team :facepalm2:
    lol I always get annoyed with little records like this too

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a case for Arsenal's 03-04 side being better than your 04-05 side. Simple as that.

If anyone wants to argue that your side wasn't the best then you need to bring other competitions into it, so obviously our treble year and in 2008. I just can't see the case for the Invincibles, it's a nice romantic notion and all that but in terms of points and trophies won (what football is judged on) they're no better than that Mourinho side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    There isn't a case for Arsenal's 03-04 side being better than your 04-05 side. Simple as that.

If anyone wants to argue that your side wasn't the best then you need to bring other competitions into it, so obviously our treble year and in 2008. I just can't see the case for the Invincibles, it's a nice romantic notion and all that but in terms of points and trophies won (what football is judged on) they're no better than that Mourinho side.
    Which would you say was better between your two sides? I think the treble year was great but you had a pretty low points total(79). Similar to mourinho's treble in 2010 while in 08 you narrowly missed out on an even better treble because you lost to portsmouth right?

I'd say that you guys might trump it in 08 but not 99 against our team. Just annoys me when arsenal fans say their team was better than ours at the time lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.