Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    De Gea
    Rafael, Ferdinand, Jones, Evra
    Carrick, Cleverley
    Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa
    RVP

Wasn't sure about Rio's partner, don't think anyone else has been excellent but towards the end of the season Jones has shown he'll be world class in a few years (including some excellent performances at CB), so I wanted to recognise that. Vidic/Evans probably more deserving based purely on CB performances so I can't disagree with anyone who says they should be there though.

Rest of the back 5 picks itself. Carrick in there of course, and Cleverley's been the best of the other CMs, been a bit harshly treated in recent weeks I think. Genuine wingers have all been poor but Welbeck and Kagawa have both had good seasons and both have at times impressed out wide, and Rooney and RVP just have to be in.

On a side note, one of the biggest disappointments of the season...Chris Smalling? Really wanted him to kick on because he has looked so good so far in his career at us, don't think he has been the same this year and Jones has gone past him in the pecking order. Still think he'll have an excellent future at us, I remember he had an injury early on and never really had a chance to start his season, so hopefully this is just a blip. I imagine it will be, he has too much to his game for it not to be.
    I think wrt to Smalling, he hasn't improved much this season while Jones has improved, I have noticed he has got better positionally especially when he's in midfield. I think Smalling would improve if he had a consistent set of games, I think he has been in and out too much. I would love to see a Smalling, Jones or Evans partnership rotated in the pre-season as I see them as our future center back combination. I think the qualities of each of the players complement each other imo, with Smalling being strong and dominant in the air (vidic like), Evans a good reader of the game and good at positioning himself ( Rio like) and Jones got good strength but also got leadership qualities of Rio.

Also on the gossip column, they are speculating that we are going to make a 55m + one of Nani, Anderson or Young for Bale. I don't believe this at all but I be happy if we did have a fairly large transfer budget.

ReputationRep:
    SAF has mentioned Januzaj again, quite a few times he has directly statred him as the example of young talent we have, and obviously he got ther #44, not bad for a kid who hasn't even spent a full season in U21's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    SAF has mentioned Januzaj again, quite a few times he has directly statred him as the example of young talent we have, and obviously he got ther #44, not bad for a kid who hasn't even spent a full season in U21's
    And Fergie still can't pronounce his name, just calls him Adnan! Haha

Haven't seen much of the U21s this year since they changed the format from the old RPL but he was an exciting player last year in the Academy games, think he got injured at one point cos he missed the end of the Youth Cup run. He was one of three brought in from overseas all around the same time that the club had high hopes for - the other two being Mats Daehli and Gyliano Van Velzen who I haven't heard much about lately at all.

I'm a bit concerned for Jesse Lingard and Davide Petrucci, both of whom I've been a big fan of, if an 18 year old has jumped ahead of them. Anyone know how Petrucci's loan at Peterborough is going? Never get a chance to watch them.

ReputationRep:
    De Boar (Ajax coach): "If there at United are players who prefer to gain experience at Ajax, that that could be a very interesting option."

That would be very interesting indeed. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    De Boar (Ajax coach): "If there at United are players who prefer to gain experience at Ajax, that that could be a very interesting option."

I wonder how much Edwin Van Der Sar had to do with it as he is taking up a role , :beard: .
    Also, I think it be a great move, they have a great academy and are excellent at developing younger players. As long as they dont try to pinch our players, it would be a decent partnership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    I wonder how much Edwin Van Der Sar had to do with it as he is taking up a role , :beard: .
    Also, I think it be a great move, they have a great academy and are excellent at developing younger players. As long as they dont try to pinch our players, it would be a decent partnership.
    We could pinch theirs...

ReputationRep:

Picked this up on the way home from Arsenal, the latest attempt at putting into words the stories of following United in the good old days. They did an official release for it before a home game last month at Warehouse Project but I didnt go. Haven't started reading yet, I imagine it'll be in much the same vein as the books Tony (O'Neill) put out a few years back or the excellent "Grafters" book.

I'll write something more about it once I've actually read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

Not Ajax's style really, which is to pluck kids from the streets of Amsterdam at age 11 and get them playing totaalvoetball until they can be sold at a nice profit, only for the cycle to begin again.

(Original post by samiz20891)
    Van Der Sar's role at Ajax is relatively minor compared with the liked of D.Bergkamp and even Overmars who's been there for years tbh. Think he's officially a sporting director or something like that but Ajax's strategy at the minute is to literally fill the training ground with as many ex-Ajax legends as possible and hope some of the magic rubs off on the players.

ReputationRep:
    Cleverly playing for U21s tonight. Either he has been injured and I've missed that, or he was burnt out and they are trying to bring him back

ReputationRep:
    Cleverly playing for U21s tonight. Either he has been injured and I've missed that, or he was burnt out and they are trying to bring him back
    Or Ferguson's annoyed with him or just gone off him. He's been on the bench for all of the last 5 games since he was subbed off at Chelsea away in the cup, and hasn't managed to get on in any of them, which is bizarre. Last time he compeleted 90mins was the 2-2 cup game at home with Chelsea when he was absolutely dire if I remember rightly.

ReputationRep:
    Cleverly is a hard worker but by United standards he's not particularly talented. I think when he has an off game, particularly when he seems to lack his usual work rate, he does look pretty average even dire against the right opposition. If he's a bit jaded not much point playing him tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

Such a shame I never actually got around to watching an Ajax game. Only one left and if they win then they will win the league so there won't be any tickets left now. When there is a will there is a way but I'm not that desperate to actually go and see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)

Picked this up on the way home from Arsenal, the latest attempt at putting into words the stories of following United in the good old days. They did an official release for it before a home game last month at Warehouse Project but I didnt go. Haven't started reading yet, I imagine it'll be in much the same vein as the books Tony (O'Neill) put out a few years back or the excellent "Grafters" book.

I'll write something more about it once I've actually read it.
    Looks good.

I like your posts by the way. You just seem to 'get it'.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Asprilla.html

Very interesting

ReputationRep:
    I still can't see it happening. Lewandowski seems more likely.

And lol at the Daily Mail who actually Photoshopped Falcao in a United kit. As if we're unable to use our imagination to see what he'll look like.

ReputationRep:
    It's all very well and good saying 'Falcao and RvP would be unstoppable' like he does but it would require a major shift in how we play to accommodate that and i think overall that would have a detrimental effect on the team.

ReputationRep:
    If Falcao tells Fergie he wants to come United, then the chances of the transfer happening increases by quite a bit. There is likely to be interest if Falcao is asking about United. Lewandowski is going Bayern and if Rooney is to play in midfield then a 4-4-2 line up is what Fergie will be playing for, with wingers and 2 strikers. Its the Fergie and United way, might not be good enough in the CL. If I remember correctly last summer we were all crying out for a midfielder and when Fergie brought RVP we were puzzled and some annoyed but it worked out, its just why not get Ronaldo back, if Mou leaves then he might want to leave, how much higher do you rate CR7 to Falcao, still think Vidal should be top priority.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might be wise not to get too carried away by the major transfer activity. Ed Woodward, due to replace Gill as chief executive at the end of the season, notes some caution.

ReputationRep:
    He looks like a top talent, weird to see him represent Belgium though when his name is Albanian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Such a shame I never actually got around to watching an Ajax game. Only one left and if they win then they will win the league so there won't be any tickets left now. When there is a will there is a way but I'm not that desperate to actually go and see it.
    The pub 'Hesp' on Weesperzijde sometimes have tickets left behind the bar from season ticket holding regulars who cant make it. Its quite common in Amsterdam but mainly for guys the bar owner knows well etc but I've gotten tickets there for Feijenoord before after mentioning I need tickets. Dutchies will be quite friendly about this kind after a few beers anyway so theres no harm in asking!

Ajax tickets arent that hard to get tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.