Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No complaints. Average line-up, poor performance. It's been rather disappointing, at how much we've eased off since winning the title.

Some may agree, some may disagree, but I really feel that we need to offload Anderson this summer. He can be a good player if he gets a consistent run of games going, but we seriously need a better quality CM who can come in and do a high quality job at all times.

As many of you have said a winger and CM is priority. Furthermore, IMO the whole Lewandowski to United is a complete no-goer.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, we're the champions of England and wherever I look I'm seeing people calling out for big name signings, moaning that we lost, moaning about the referees ... at this point in the season WHO THE HELL CARES?!

Next weekend is the biggest weekend of the year, there's a hell of a party coming. The trophy's coming home and then being paraded grandly through the streets on an open-top bus in the (hopefully) glorious Manchester sunshine. I hope everyone takes the time to savour every moment and revel in the success because you never know when it's going to end. It worries me when some of our fans see it as "just another league win" and then life goes on, I wonder if Liverpool felt that way in 1990? A quick look down the East Lancs Road ought to serve as a reality check ... I certainly intend to celebrate every single trophy we win as if it's our last, because one day it could all be over. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but it's a possibility and we'll never see it coming. 26 years we had to wait for the title before 1993, we've been more fortunate (and ultimately become more spoiled) than any other fanbase in England in the years since then but let's bask in the moment every single time. You'll all miss this when it's gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Jesus Christ, we're the champions of England and wherever I look I'm seeing people calling out for big name signings, moaning that we lost, moaning about the referees ... at this point in the season WHO THE HELL CARES?!

Next weekend is the biggest weekend of the year, there's a hell of a party coming. The trophy's coming home and then being paraded grandly through the streets on an open-top bus in the (hopefully) glorious Manchester sunshine. I hope everyone takes the time to savour every moment and revel in the success because you never know when it's going to end. It worries me when some of our fans see it as "just another league win" and then life goes on, I wonder if Liverpool felt that way in 1990? A quick look down the East Lancs Road ought to serve as a reality check ... I certainly intend to celebrate every single trophy we win as if it's our last, because one day it could all be over. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but it's a possibility and we'll never see it coming. 26 years we had to wait for the title before 1993, we've been more fortunate (and ultimately become more spoiled) than any other fanbase in England in the years since then but let's bask in the moment every single time. You'll all miss this when it's gone.
    Whoever thinks like that is not a fan, simple.

ReputationRep:
    It was a very laboured performance which you can expect since the title is wrapped up but I don't think it helped that Chelsea weren't really as attacking and pressing as much as I expected them to considering they are chasing fourth. They had some half chances but had they really backed us into a corner then I would have expected us to fight back.

I didn't see anything major wrong with Ramires tackle, the ball dropped back to us in the half as the move progressed but we didn't take control of it, a shot and deflection later, we're 1-0 down.

I thought the sending off should have been a yellow but if you remember the Craig Fagan tackle at Newcastle few years ago then I imagine that was in the mind of the lineswoman and Webb, if he saw it in its entirety.

But Luiz, I felt was smiling because he got the reaction and maybe it was his fellow Brazilian but the way he turned over and it must have been then that he saw the commotion and he still had the smirk.

I can't see Lewandowski joining us although Dortmund would probably love to sell him to us than Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    Talk of ronaldo coming picking up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    Talk of ronaldo coming picking up
    If you've got a spare £150m, then sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    If you've got a spare £150m, then sure.
    You say it as though he's at Liverpool lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    You say it as though he's at Liverpool lol
    Real have no reason to sell and could charge as much as they wanted. Plus, Ronaldo has shown no sign at wanting to move apart from being a bit sad in about October but that was probably due to Mourinho isolating sections of the squad.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh why do you guys even care about the loss, you're not going to beat the points record so there was really nothing to play for, the only thing you've done is help english clubs in the champions league next season by basically letting us win than having arsenal and tottenham there where they'll get spanked by the first team that has any capability of winning the competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh why do you guys even care about the loss, you're not going to beat the points record so there was really nothing to play for, the only thing you've done is help english clubs in the champions league next season by basically letting us win than having arsenal and tottenham there where they'll get spanked by the first team that has any capability of winning the competition.
    tut tut, no need for that now is there.

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly I don't like watching the team I support play sub par... Especially with such high expectations, fans want to see their team push on and dominate head to head against the other top teams in the PL.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not United's worst year in Europe. Finishing dead last in a very easy group in 2006 was worse. The FL record points setting, double winning team of 93/94 failing to even make it into the group stage was worse. Whimpering out of the tournament to Gothenburg the year after, also worse.

Ferguson's always been a bit tactically naive in Europe, even though we've won it twice and we should all be delighted about that, when you look at the squads United have had since 93 we should be up there with Milan, Real Madrid etc. United normally do the group stage fine, but then when it comes to knockout ties its very hit and miss. Fergie's domestic record is unbelievable and unmatchable by anybody, but in Europe he's often been found out big time.
    Lol can't lie 06 and 11-12 were funny. Is it me or does fergie either do extremely well in the CL or poor? You think united would have a good chance of winning it and next second they're out in the group stages/round of 16 and their worst prem team since 05 got to the CL final(although I've never seen an easier run up to the final bar the chelsea QF match)

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's see. This season, we have seen a lot of disappointing performances. We've won the league and that's fantastic, but it shouldn't gloss over the consistent poor performances from the team as a whole.

People want signings, because there is clearly a need for a couple. Mainly in midfield.

Also, fans don't want to see Man United lose any game. Especially against the bigger teams. How many big games have we won this season? Not many.

I won't complain about the ref, because Rafael gave him no choice. If you kick someone off the ball, you're going to get a red card. There's no debate in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    tut tut, no need for that now is there.
    No offence, but tbh your last 3 seasons and tottenham's last season in the CL don't fill me with any hope you would make any impact lets be honest. You guys turn up when you're out of a tie and tottenham couldn't even score a goal vs real madrid home and away that was as bad as the barca-bayern matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayReg)
    Surprisingly I don't like watching the team I support play sub par... Especially with such high expectations, fans want to see their team push on and dominate head to head against the other top teams in the PL.
    Reminds me of 05-06 when chelsea lost their final 3 games, even though we could have got 100 points because they'd won the title already. I couldn't care less the season is over for a united fan. The season petered out pretty badly but blame that on city and chelsea not giving you guys a challenge.
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Well, let's see. This season, we have seen a lot of disappointing performances. We've won the league and that's fantastic, but it shouldn't gloss over the consistent poor performances from the team as a whole.

People want signings, because there is clearly a need for a couple. Mainly in midfield.

Also, fans don't want to see Man United lose against any game. Especially against the bigger teams. How many big games have we won this season? Not many.

I won't complain about the ref, because Rafael gave him no choice. If you kick someone off the ball, you're going to get a red card. There's no debate in it.
    What are you saying, you've beat chelsea and city away. You've beat arsenal at home and got a draw at the emirates, you beat everton at home, you beat liverpool home and away. Only thing you can be disappointed about would be the FA cup and the tottenham matches. Vs madrid that was down to external factors and a draw at the bernabeu is nothing to be sniffed at, they've beaten barca with a half strength team there e.g.

All you need is a CM and a winger...

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but tbh your last 3 seasons and tottenham's last season in the CL don't fill me with any hope you would make any impact lets be honest. You guys turn up when you're out of a tie and tottenham couldn't even score a goal vs real madrid home and away that was as bad as the barca-bayern matches.
    Even though your probably right, I suspect we will perform better eventually and hopefully thats sometime in the next 30 years.

ReputationRep:
    It's never nice to lose and I think what annoys some is that Chelsea weren't that great, so they see Chelsea as being there for the taking. But there's a difference between not liking to lose a game, and making knee jerk remarks about overhauling a squad that's just won the title with an impressive lead.

Just experience tells me to expect this sort of an end to the season, so I never expected to get a win when coming up against a team who "still have something to play for". I'm just pleased we got the away wins against Chelsea and City when those games mattered, and looking forward to next Sunday, revelling in a title win which, as has been mentioned, could be our final title.

(Original post by pinda.college)
    Whoever thinks like that is not a fan, simple.
    To be fair even for a "proper" fan it can be easy to begin to get complacent and expect success. Back in 2003, for example, I was delighted with the title win and very appreciative especially considering how poor we were defensively at times the previous season. I didn't perceive it as "just another title win" but at the same time I still feel that I didn't enjoy the moment as much as I could have done - looking toward next season and being quite confident of success with RvN on fire. Little did I know that we'd go into a transitional period, nor did I predict Arsenal's invinceables and "Chelski", thus going three seasons winning just one FA Cup and one League Cup.

This isn't in any way comparable to the 26 years mentioned, admittedly, but I think the general point about not getting too complacent or comfortable with success stands.

ReputationRep:
    Our inability to beat top teams highlights our weaknesses in the CL

Like this season we've flopped against the top 4 imagine what would happen if we played a team like barca let alone bayern Munich

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    Our inability to beat top teams highlights our weaknesses in the CL

Like this season we've flopped against the top 4 imagine what would happen if we played a team like barca let alone bayern Munich

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest we could've beat Madrid and advanced to the CL semis had Nani not been sent off.

ReputationRep:
    What are you saying, you've beat chelsea and city away. You've beat arsenal at home and got a draw at the emirates, you beat everton at home, you beat liverpool home and away. Only thing you can be disappointed about would be the FA cup and the tottenham matches. Vs madrid that was down to external factors and a draw at the bernabeu is nothing to be sniffed at, they've beaten barca with a half strength team there e.g.

All you need is a CM and a winger...
    The results were better than I thought, overall. I forgot about some of those earlier season results. The performances were not good, though. We played well against Madrid in both legs. We did not play very well in the other games.

I guess I'm most unhappy with our performances against Chelsea. We rarely get decent results against them.

Yes, and that is mainly what people are asking for. There are some people saying that we should sign a forward. I don't really understand that, considering we already have 4/5, but Sir Alex loves signing them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.