The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yaboy
No Arteta belongs in the championship...

scholes has probably been englands only world class player from 2000. His passing ability is up there with the likes of xavi and pirlo. I dont think gerrard is as good and lampard certainly isn't from a technical point of view

Nah, Terry Rooney and Gerrard I would have called world class at one point or another. But yeah Scholes would be the best.
Original post by techno-thriller
What I was thinking was sell: Rooney, v persie, young, Valencia, anderson
Buy: ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, reus, tiote, ozil

lol
Reply 3362
Original post by jam277
Yeah, I remember that match clearly. I guess while you got two offside goals we should have taken our chances too(torres and ramires being the difference between a loss and a draw) yeah we'll never know. Maybe we were there for the taking, we were good enough defensively and just lacked a final ball but took our chance eventually.

That's absolutely pathetic what you're saying. Tottenham went 13 games unbeaten during that run when you drew to them away and the victory was down to a great performance by the tottenham guys. While disappointing they performed very well and you gotta give them credit for that performance as it clearly kickstarted their season.
You took 4/6 points from arsenal who haven't lost a match since the tottenham game in march... you drew to them at the emirates you really sound like a stuck up fan.

Chelsea, well benitez wasn't named manager of the month for no reason, ever since march(probably the FA cup match at OT) we've been in scintilating form if you take away the defeat to southampton.

Ahh when guys get stats to back up their points .... Admittedly I don't have the time to find stats for my points but what you say makes sense
Losing an argument? Better make up a quote by Iniesta
Original post by Zürich
but for Barry to have twice as many England caps at roughly the same age? :confused: even scott parker is nearly ahead

I think he was underrated until the past 2 or 3 seasons really. Also England managers have always been fairly clueless.
Original post by yaboy

inesta also said Victor wanyama was the toughest player hes ever played against.

Original post by Tommyjw

:laugh: this, Iniesta never said that did he
Reply 3366
Original post by manchesterunited15
Nah, Terry Rooney and Gerrard I would have called world class at one point or another. But yeah Scholes would be the best.

I was talking specifically about the midfield but I guess gerrard can claim to be world class, just think he isn't as technically sound as the likes of scholes and hoddle were.
Original post by yaboy
ferguson will praise any of his players because he is their manager...

inesta also said Victor wanyama was the toughest player hes ever played against.

Wenger probably did that because he never wanted to vote for RVP, I never said he was a bad player I just dont rate him and think there are far better players in his position. Showing me comments of praise from other players that praise literally every player they come up against it is little pointless dont you think, the same players that described alex song as a prodigy.

Wanyama is a fierce opponent to face, I'm sure you'd love to have him in your team. Besides how many Englishmen have gotten praise on football from Spanish midfielders? They don't "praise literally every player they come up against". I'm sorry when did Xavi claim Song as a prodigy? Explain how we was shortlisted as PFA player of the year or how he was in the team of the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3368
Original post by Tommyjw

Either im right or jeff stelling has been lying.
Original post by Tommyjw

Messi on the distinctly average Theo Walcott. “I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against. Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.” :rolleyes:

Not saying Scholes isnt the greatest midfielder of all time as many Utd fans seem to have convinced themselves recently, but ''coz Iniesta said so innit'' is not really an argument. Iniesta himself is miles ahead of Scholes at his peak for instance and I'd have Gerrard over him as well. Frankly he's not even your best midfielder under Fergie, that's Roy Keane.

By the way, not trying to say Scholes wasnt an outstanding player at his peak, just that people go too far with praise. Bit like the people going ape **** over Pirlo and parroting the ''so underrated'' line during the Euros and driving him entirely to the overrated side of the spectrum overnight. Hard to find a balance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Messi on the distinctly average Theo Walcott. “I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against. Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.” :rolleyes:

Not saying Scholes isnt the greatest midfielder of all time as many Utd fans seem to have convinced themselves recently, but ''coz Iniesta said so innit'' is not really an argument. Iniesta himself is miles ahead of Scholes at his peak for instance and I'd have Gerrard over him as well. But there's no shame in that at all.

Its not just Iniesta, Please read...

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3371
Original post by mdajoka
Wanyama is a fierce opponent to face, I'm sure you'd love to have him in your team. Besides how many Englishmen have gotten praise on football from Spanish midfielders? They don't "praise literally every player they come up against". I'm sorry when did Xavi claim Song as a prodigy? Explain how we was shortlisted as PFA player of the year or how he was in the team of the year.

Inesta did during the euros lol. I dont know why he was nominated for pfa player of the year ahead of players like wilshire tbh. Like I said I dont rate him and I not the only who doesn't but clearly he has his fans out there probably 99% of them being united fans from japan or something.
F-Ando is apparently set to leave this summer in order to get regular first team football. Once again the only position we need players is midfield - we have Zaha coming in for the wing.

I wouldn't be dismayed to see Valencia pack his bags. His dip in form is almost as bad as Torres'.
Original post by yaboy
Inesta did during the euros lol. I dont know why he was nominated for pfa player of the year ahead of players like wilshire tbh. Like I said I dont rate him and I not the only who doesn't but clearly he has his fans out there probably 99% of them being united fans from japan or something.

The PFA does not consist of united fans from Japan.

You can not honestly say Jack Wilshere has had a better season than Carrick!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3374
Pep guardiola openly admits if he could have one player in the world it would have been paul scholes. Still dont know how people can say gerrard was better than scholes in his prime, Next thing you people are gonna start saying gerrard was better than Gazza in his prime.
Original post by yaboy

Your embarrassing yourself. If your going to troll, at least do it in an intelligent manner. Like Tommyjw on the Arsenal thread. You just come across as dumb, like one of those guys at the pub who thinks he knows everything but in reality is extremely clueless.
Reply 3376
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Your embarrassing yourself. If your going to troll, at least do it in an intelligent manner. Like Tommyjw on the Arsenal thread. You just come across as dumb, like one of those guys at the pub who thinks he knows everything but in reality is extremely clueless.

Thats because I do know everything...
Original post by TheInvincibles14

Lol this he is absolutely clueless about football

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny thing you can own Arsenal fans all day when talking about football but as soon as you say Wilshere isn't the greatest thing to happen to sport you get called a troll.
Reply 3379
Gerrard and players like Barry and Parker are so overrated by the English commentators/pundits, they're fools they only praise/see players getting dirty and tracking back, thats why they loved Rooney, they're not clever enough to understand the importance of players like Scholes/Carrick and see how them playing deadly accurate balls to relieve pressure or always gliding into spaces to give a team mate an option of a simple pass, not saying that getting dirty and tracking back is not important but the commentators in England appreciate it much more than the style of play of players like Scholes therefore they were never rated by the press or public until they came to there senses by seeing players like Xavi/Pirlo getting all the international recognition, but it was too late as Scholes had retired and Hodgson would rather pick Henderson over Carrick for the WC.

Latest