Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    So???

steven gerrard has never won the premiere league does that make carrick better than him?

Just because you play for a good team does not make you a good player does it...
    So the views of players like Xavi and Alonso praising him counts only because he plays for Man Utd? What about managers like Sir Alex continuously praising him or Wenger saying his inclusion in the PFA player of the year award being completely justified, these are all deluded morons are they? Or maybe, just maybe they understand the game much better than you and realize how pivotal Carrick is to the United set up.

What I was thinking was sell: Rooney, v persie, young, Valencia, anderson
      Buy: ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, reus, tiote, ozil

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mdajoka)
      So the views of players like Xavi and Alonso praising him counts only because he plays for Man Utd? What about managers like Sir Alex continuously praising him or Wenger saying his inclusion in the PFA player of the year award being completely justified, these are all deluded morons are they? Or maybe, just maybe they understand the game much better than you and realize how pivotal Carrick is to the United set up.
      ferguson will praise any of his players because he is their manager...

inesta also said Victor wanyama was the toughest player hes ever played against.

Wenger probably did that because he never wanted to vote for RVP, I never said he was a bad player I just dont rate him and think there are far better players in his position. Showing me comments of praise from other players that praise literally every player they come up against it is little pointless dont you think, the same players that described alex song as a prodigy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yaboy)
      No Arteta belongs in the championship...

scholes has probably been englands only world class player from 2000. His passing ability is up there with the likes of xavi and pirlo. I dont think gerrard is as good and lampard certainly isn't from a technical point of view
      Nah, Terry Rooney and Gerrard I would have called world class at one point or another. But yeah Scholes would be the best.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by techno-thriller)
      What I was thinking was sell: Rooney, v persie, young, Valencia, anderson
      Buy: ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, reus, tiote, ozil
      lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam277)
      Yeah, I remember that match clearly. I guess while you got two offside goals we should have taken our chances too(torres and ramires being the difference between a loss and a draw) yeah we'll never know. Maybe we were there for the taking, we were good enough defensively and just lacked a final ball but took our chance eventually.

That's absolutely pathetic what you're saying. Tottenham went 13 games unbeaten during that run when you drew to them away and the victory was down to a great performance by the tottenham guys. While disappointing they performed very well and you gotta give them credit for that performance as it clearly kickstarted their season.
      You took 4/6 points from arsenal who haven't lost a match since the tottenham game in march... you drew to them at the emirates you really sound like a stuck up fan.

Chelsea, well benitez wasn't named manager of the month for no reason, ever since march(probably the FA cup match at OT) we've been in scintilating form if you take away the defeat to southampton.
      Ahh when guys get stats to back up their points .... Admittedly I don't have the time to find stats for my points but what you say makes sense

ReputationRep:
      Losing an argument? Better make up a quote by Iniesta

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zürich)
      but for Barry to have twice as many England caps at roughly the same age? :confused: even scott parker is nearly ahead
      I think he was underrated until the past 2 or 3 seasons really. Also England managers have always been fairly clueless.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yaboy)
      inesta also said Victor wanyama was the toughest player hes ever played against.

(Original post by Tommyjw)
      :laugh: this, Iniesta never said that did he

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by manchesterunited15)
      Nah, Terry Rooney and Gerrard I would have called world class at one point or another. But yeah Scholes would be the best.
      I was talking specifically about the midfield but I guess gerrard can claim to be world class, just think he isn't as technically sound as the likes of scholes and hoddle were.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yaboy)
      ferguson will praise any of his players because he is their manager...

Wenger probably did that because he never wanted to vote for RVP, I never said he was a bad player I just dont rate him and think there are far better players in his position. Showing me comments of praise from other players that praise literally every player they come up against it is little pointless dont you think, the same players that described alex song as a prodigy.
      Wanyama is a fierce opponent to face, I'm sure you'd love to have him in your team. Besides how many Englishmen have gotten praise on football from Spanish midfielders? They don't "praise literally every player they come up against". I'm sorry when did Xavi claim Song as a prodigy? Explain how we was shortlisted as PFA player of the year or how he was in the team of the year.

ReputationRep:
      Either im right or jeff stelling has been lying.

ReputationRep:
      Messi on the distinctly average Theo Walcott. “I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against. Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.” :rolleyes:

Not saying Scholes isnt the greatest midfielder of all time as many Utd fans seem to have convinced themselves recently, but ''coz Iniesta said so innit'' is not really an argument. Iniesta himself is miles ahead of Scholes at his peak for instance and I'd have Gerrard over him as well. Frankly he's not even your best midfielder under Fergie, that's Roy Keane.

By the way, not trying to say Scholes wasnt an outstanding player at his peak, just that people go too far with praise. Bit like the people going ape **** over Pirlo and parroting the ''so underrated'' line during the Euros and driving him entirely to the overrated side of the spectrum overnight. Hard to find a balance.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zürich)
      Messi on the distinctly average Theo Walcott. “I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against. Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.” :rolleyes:

Not saying Scholes isnt the greatest midfielder of all time as many Utd fans seem to have convinced themselves recently, but ''coz Iniesta said so innit'' is not really an argument. Iniesta himself is miles ahead of Scholes at his peak for instance and I'd have Gerrard over him as well. But there's no shame in that at all.
      Its not just Iniesta, Please read...

Spoiler:
      Show

In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.
      Xavi

My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.
      Zinedine Zidane

Rooney is one of the best players in the world and I love watching him play. But if you had to pick out only one, then for their history and for all that they have achieved it would have to be Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs. They are two shining examples for any player.
      Andres Iniesta

Everywhere I go the coaches all tell me that Scholsey is the player they admire. But if they think they’ll get him they’re wasting their time! Paul is a Manc lad pure and simple. He loves the club and there’s no chance of him leaving here. If ever he decided to go there would be a stampede, but he won’t be going, he’s here for life.
      Sir Alex Ferguson (Jan 2003)

I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.
      Edgar Davids, in his prime

I told Moratti Scholes is a “mission impossible” man. It’s more than money with him. He was born just a few blocks away from Old Trafford. It`s about wearing United’s colours.
      Inter owner Massimo Moratti’s adviser, Pino Pagliara (July 2000)

Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.
      Pep Guardiola

I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player.
      Laurent Blanc

An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being.
      Roy Keane

I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley.
      Sir Bobby Charlton

The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes.
      Patrick Vieira

He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.
      Cesc Fabregas

I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’.
      Thierry Henry

Nobody else in the world can play the way Scholes does. The passes he produces all over the field and the way he changes the game is brilliant. Every manager would like him. But luckily he is here and playing with us. Paul practices that all the time. When he has finished training he always goes out and shoots.
      Dimitar Berbatov

Why isn’t he playing for England? It is crazy. Only in England. Scholes is a great, great player. So experienced and still, for me, one of the best in the world in midfield. Manchester United are lucky to have him.
      Jose Mourinho

Paul Scholes had the best football brain I’d ever seen in a kid. Let’s face it. Paul Scholes is in a class of its own.
      Brian Kidd

Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team – that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. He would have been one of the first players I’d have bought, given the chance.
      Marcello Lippi

Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.
      Zinedine Zidane

He is a very complete, spectacular footballer. He always fights for the ball and tries to lose his marker to help his team-mates – either to defend or to have a shot on goal. For any football player in the Premiership, Scholes is a player you want to emulate. I would happily end my career with the medals that Scholes has. I am young and I hope that I will be able to surpass him – but it is not going to be easy.
      Cesc Fabregas

Juan Sebasticn Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who’s the best English player : “Paul Scholes.”

Paul Scholes is just fantastic. When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is.
      Michael Carrick

Very few players can do that, but Scholes is one of them – and I knew he was one of them. That’s why, without question, I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He’s got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him.
      Sir Alex Ferguson

England have lost their best player
      George Best after Paul retired from international football

There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere in the world.
      Glen Hoddle

For me, it’s Paul Scholes. He’ll do ridiculous things in training like say, “You see that tree over there?” – it’ll be 40 yards away – “I’m going to hit it”. And he’ll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best.”
      Rio Ferdinand

I wouldn’t swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best.
      Gary Neville

He’s always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder – when he’s fit, he’s the best. Some go missing but he’s in the right place at the right time. He’s my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it’s a goal, isn’t it?
      Micah Richards

We won’t ever see another one like Paul Scholes. He is a legend and a real benchmark. He is not interested in the modern-day footballer’s life off the pitch, but he is a world-class player on it. He has probably never really got the true recognition he deserved outside of Manchester United because he never did the media. He didn’t do interviews and never put himself out for things like that. I cannot believe he has never been nominated for World, European or domestic individual honours because in his prime he was scoring 20 goals a season from midfield. It is astonishing he has never won a personal award, but given the choice of winning something and then having to get up and do the speech, I think he would rather not have won them!
      Darren Fletcher

He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player.
      Terry Venables

If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time.
      Alan Shearer

Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You’d probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb.
      Gordon Strachan

Paul, for me, is the best player in the England team. It worries teams. Speak to any other international team and they will single Paul out as England’s key player. For me, he doesn’t get the full credit that he deserves. He is a world-class player and deserves to be up there with the likes of Zidane and Figo.
      Phil Neville

Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.
      Eidur Gudjohnsen

For years Paul Scholes has been one of the best players in the Premiership. He’s incredible. He has always been under-rated throughout his career. He’s a team player, a one and two-touch footballer who makes good decisions on the pitch and makes his team play.
      Thierry Henry

He has an awareness of what’s happening around him on the edge of the box which is better than most players. As a kid he always had a knack of arriving in the penalty area just at the right time, but he’s proving just as effective from outside the box because he’s using his experience in the right way. It doesn’t matter who I am thinking about bringing into my midfield, Paul Scholes will be included, as he would in any side in the world.
      Sir Alex Ferguson

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mdajoka)
      Wanyama is a fierce opponent to face, I'm sure you'd love to have him in your team. Besides how many Englishmen have gotten praise on football from Spanish midfielders? They don't "praise literally every player they come up against". I'm sorry when did Xavi claim Song as a prodigy? Explain how we was shortlisted as PFA player of the year or how he was in the team of the year.
      Inesta did during the euros lol. I dont know why he was nominated for pfa player of the year ahead of players like wilshire tbh. Like I said I dont rate him and I not the only who doesn't but clearly he has his fans out there probably 99% of them being united fans from japan or something.

ReputationRep:
      F-Ando is apparently set to leave this summer in order to get regular first team football. Once again the only position we need players is midfield - we have Zaha coming in for the wing.

I wouldn't be dismayed to see Valencia pack his bags. His dip in form is almost as bad as Torres'.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yaboy)
      Inesta did during the euros lol. I dont know why he was nominated for pfa player of the year ahead of players like wilshire tbh. Like I said I dont rate him and I not the only who doesn't but clearly he has his fans out there probably 99% of them being united fans from japan or something.
      The PFA does not consist of united fans from Japan.

You can not honestly say Jack Wilshere has had a better season than Carrick!

ReputationRep:
      Pep guardiola openly admits if he could have one player in the world it would have been paul scholes. Still dont know how people can say gerrard was better than scholes in his prime, Next thing you people are gonna start saying gerrard was better than Gazza in his prime.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yaboy)
      Your embarrassing yourself. If your going to troll, at least do it in an intelligent manner. Like Tommyjw on the Arsenal thread. You just come across as dumb, like one of those guys at the pub who thinks he knows everything but in reality is extremely clueless.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
      Your embarrassing yourself. If your going to troll, at least do it in an intelligent manner. Like Tommyjw on the Arsenal thread. You just come across as dumb, like one of those guys at the pub who thinks he knows everything but in reality is extremely clueless.
      Thats because I do know everything...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.