Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, Klopp would be perfect for United. Passionate, loyal, tactically astute. Quite similar to Fergie actually. Although I wouldn't like it to happen as it'd decimate Dortmund even further and result in even wider scale Bayern dominance in the Bundesliga, even if that isn't already the case with the signing of Gotze and the 20 point margin this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    To be honest this season has a last hurrah feel about it for you lot and I've thought this for a while.

- That reaction after Nani's red card was a blatant sign, when has Fergie ever cheer-led the fans like that? He looked very emotional and not in an angry way, the great man stood there at 71 begging the fans to make noise. Never happened before
    - Refusing to do a post-match interviews, Phelan: "He's devastated"
    - Chief exec. Gill leaving
    - North Stand being re-named
    - The statue
    - Getting the title back off City and going out on a high
    - The club have organised an open top bus parade for the title, when was your last one? This is the first for years. Now you know why

Would not surprise me one bit.
    The plan for the North Stand to be renamed was set in place a couple of years ago and it was announced at the time the statue would follow this season so I'm not surprised by that. The more time that passes the more inevitable the retirement becomes, so I think that was just the club making sure they got it done.

It's that reaction after the Champions League defeat that makes me think he's changed his mind about retiring. He won't want to go out that way in Europe, I think if we'd had a good run or won it this year he'd stick with the plans to retire but after that night against Madrid? He can't bow out on that note.

(Original post by Idle)
    I wouldn't be that surprised but I would assume after we sealed up the title he would have come out and said it... So that the fans could give him a proper send off in the last few games rather than him disappearing after the season has ended.
    When he eventually retires I think it'll be done after the season. He won't put a dampener on the remainder of the fixtures or celebrations, it'll be announced after all games, player awards etc and once the replacement manager has signed the contract. United wont want a circus and the press selling stories of how so and so might be taking over, the new manager will be announced at the same time as the retirement I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    The plan for the North Stand to be renamed was set in place a couple of years ago and it was announced at the time the statue would follow this season so I'm not surprised by that. The more time that passes the more inevitable the retirement becomes, so I think that was just the club making sure they got it done.

It's that reaction after the Champions League defeat that makes me think he's changed his mind about retiring. He won't want to go out that way in Europe, I think if we'd had a good run or won it this year he'd stick with the plans to retire but after that night against Madrid? He can't bow out on that note.
    Right fair enough on the North Stand.

Madrid: You've won the league since then, it's in the past. If he goes now he goes out on a high.

I suppose we won't know until it happens but there's no doubt that Madrid game had a big effect on him, whether it's influenced his decision to stay or not.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't be true, if it is true then please don't let it be Moyes. I'd take Jose or Klopp.

ReputationRep:
    Of course Mourinho would be the oustanding candidate here if we want immediate success to continue and in terms of the grandeur.

The rest of the pack woud be gambles. For me, Klopp is still a wait-and-see manager; impressive so far but very much flavour of the month and needs to prove himself a bit more. I guess if you're saying funny things in press conferences, it helps. Moyes' lack of charisma works against him (as does being ginger, probably) but I really like him, may not have won anything but he consistently overachieves and if he's doing that with Everton then there's no reason why he can't do it at Man Utd - especially as his record v top 4 sides is actually very good. Doesn't play attractive football? Erm, we haven't played consistent attractive football for about 5 years now. Doesn't have top-level European experience? Di Matteo didn't, Klopp doesn't have much neither. Hasn't won a trophy? Harry Redknapp and Graeme Souness have won trophies. It's easy to knit-pick, I think. Wouldn't even be averse to promoting within (as long as it isn't Mr Phelan).

But, yeah, please stay Fergie. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Odds are slashing. Could be more than a hip problem. Hopefully not though, would love to see him bring home on more Champions League before heading off into the sunset.

ReputationRep:
    http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video...438674?cc=5739

Mark Ogden (journalist who broke the story) talking about it.

ReputationRep:
    The fact Moyes has been at Everton at 11 years has to play in his favour. If Moyes can step up to the right level, he would be loyal enough to manage Utd for another decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I wouldn't be that surprised but I would assume after we sealed up the title he would have come out and said it... So that the fans could give him a proper send off in the last few games rather than him disappearing after the season has ended.
    Doesn't it need to be announced in a careful and formal way (ie. carefully arranged press conference before the final home game of the season), under NYSE rules?

(Original post by IanDangerously)
    That's why it would come as a surprise to me. I can't see him just walking away after such a disappointment. But I guess we don't know what his health is like, or any other personal issues he may have.

But do you not think that by announcing the retirement after the season has started, some fans might feel "robbed" that they weren't able to give a proper goodbye to him?

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans getting happy over a reported puma deal.. little do they realize that Nike and Adidas didn't want to touch them. We are the commercial kings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Arsenal fans getting happy over a reported puma deal.. little do they realize that Nike and Adidas didn't want to touch them. We are the commercial kings
    I don't really care which kit manufacturer it is, so long as the kit looks decent and they pay. Puma make some nice kits and its reported to be the biggest kit deal going, no reason for them to care what the other two think. Hopefully a deal like that for Arsenal will force Nike's hand when we negotiate our new kit deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Come to think of it, Klopp would be perfect for United. Passionate, loyal, tactically astute. Quite similar to Fergie actually. Although I wouldn't like it to happen as it'd decimate Dortmund even further and result in even wider scale Bayern dominance in the Bundesliga, even if that isn't already the case with the signing of Gotze and the 20 point margin this season.
    Klopp would seem good but mastermind has got it right, seems a little flavour of the month, although his rise to success for dortmund can't be underestimated. They were 11th the year he took over, he took them from midtable, to 5th, to first twice with a double(only other club to do a german double is bayern I think) and then took them to a CL final. I would really like to see klopp come in after next year. Because now dortmund's team has been decimated as you say I'd like to see if they can rebuild. They've replaced sahin with gundogan(although sahin will be back) and kagawa with marco reus which have both been at the same calibre. I don't know where they'll get another lewandowski though and gotze is pretty much irreplaceable. A 17 year old who came in as a starter to win a german league is pretty unheard of. Gotze will be a bayern legend to make it even worse.

(Original post by Mastermind`)
    Of course Mourinho would be the oustanding candidate here if we want immediate success to continue and in terms of the grandeur.

The rest of the pack woud be gambles. For me, Klopp is still a wait-and-see manager; impressive so far but very much flavour of the month and needs to prove himself a bit more. I guess if you're saying funny things in press conferences, it helps. Moyes' lack of charisma works against him (as does being ginger, probably) but I really like him, may not have won anything but he consistently overachieves and if he's doing that with Everton then there's no reason why he can't do it at Man Utd - especially as his record v top 4 sides is actually very good. Doesn't play attractive football? Erm, we haven't played consistent attractive football for about 5 years now. Doesn't have top-level European experience? Di Matteo didn't, Klopp doesn't have much neither. Hasn't won a trophy? Harry Redknapp and Graeme Souness have won trophies. It's easy to knit-pick, I think. Wouldn't even be averse to promoting within (as long as it isn't Mr Phelan).

But, yeah, please stay Fergie. :bawling:
    Yeah, agree, klopp and mourinho are the obvious candidates. Moyes laments his lack of money. He's doing a great job at everton but lets be honest everton is a glass ceiling, he can't play pass and move football and get consistent results with gibson and neville and the hoof to fellaini tactic worked for a reason.

We'll see with mourinho, he'd probably be wanted to stay for 5-6 years at least and then go to portugal. Although international management is usually what the old people who've done it all go to(see lippi, trappatoni, capello, del bosque,)

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't see him leaving unless there is some problems with his personal health. I really think we have a great squad with a lot of players with a big amount of potential, I.e. Jones, Rafael etc. I feel that in a few years with the right manager if Fergie leaves, then it will be an even better team. Personally, I would love Fergie to go out in a Peter Schmeichel like manner as it would just be brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, shocked to hear that Fergie has retired :eek:. He is the GOAT manager imo, and that's coming from an Arsenal fan.

ReputationRep:
    No i thought it was speculation ((((((((((((((((((((((((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    To be honest this season has a last hurrah feel about it for you lot and I've thought this for a while.

- That reaction after Nani's red card was a blatant sign, when has Fergie ever cheer-led the fans like that? He looked very emotional and not in an angry way, the great man stood there at 71 begging the fans to make noise. Never happened before
    - Refusing to do a post-match interviews, Phelan: "He's devastated"
    - Chief exec. Gill leaving
    - North Stand being re-named
    - The statue
    - Getting the title back off City and going out on a high
    - The club have organised an open top bus parade for the title, when was your last one? This is the first for years. Now you know why

Would not surprise me one bit.
    So I was right again then :cool:

ReputationRep:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...ball-News.aspx

Nooo. I can't believe this

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:sad:

Wow. Going to be surreal next season

ReputationRep:
      This is like, the biggest news in football. ****ing crazy.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.