Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hero, legend, everything, thanks for the memories. Only seen your side twice but grateful enough for that.

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!

(Original post by samiz20891)
    I personally don't see him leaving unless there is some problems with his personal health. I really think we have a great squad with a lot of players with a big amount of potential, I.e. Jones, Rafael etc. I feel that in a few years with the right manager if Fergie leaves, then it will be an even better team. Personally, I would love Fergie to go out in a Peter Schmeichel like manner as it would just be brilliant.
    The difficulty is, even if his health (beside the hip operation) is decent, he is in his 70s. It's easy saying "I'll remain as long as my health is good", but his health can change rapidly. He wants to leave on a high, rather than have some Brian Clough type exit (not that I'm suggesting we'll get relegated in just a couple of seasons :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Incredible, he truly did a lot for this club of course.

I wonder who's coming in...

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually worried about next season unless the new guy gets some good spending power. Our squad as a whole is still the, or at the very least second, best team in the league but SAF leaving could have a massive impact.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a bit of a over-reaction but it feels like a family member has died! Would not like to step into the biggest shoes in football!!

ReputationRep:
    It has been announced that Fergie will move upstairs as Director of Football and work along side the new manager. I always thought Moysie would takeover, but now I think the special one is Old Trafford bound. Happy retirement Fergie.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow. I've been preparing myself in my head for this day all season but I really hoped and believed he'd changed his mind. Absolutely gutted. Never known anything but Ferguson at United ... I don't even know what the future holds now.

It's the end of an era. It's not the end of everything as some people are making out, as gutted as I am I know the red flag will still be flying over Old Trafford tomorrow and every day. We were here 108 years before Ferguson and we will go on without him, but still, ****ing heartbreaking day for all those associated with the club.

As for the future? Excited. We don't know what lies ahead but that could be a good thing. Let's wait and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not going to lie..almost shed a few tears

If I were to put my money on it..I think Moyes or Mourinho will take-over as manager. I'd love to see somebody like Ole take over but I don't think he's experienced enough to be the manager of Man Utd just yet. Either way, SAF will be choosing the next manager.

Mourinho + Ronaldo? :moon:

Edit - shed a few tears

ReputationRep:
    I think moyes will fill in and mourinho will go to Chelsea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Mourinhos contract a bit of a barrier ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm crying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we'll buy a CM now?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a news to wake up to. Really in shock. At first when I read it, I thought they said he'd decided to retire next season but no, it's basically in 2 weeks time. Typical of the man, didn't want the press to be focused on him so waited till the end of the season (we all know Utd's is over) before making an announcement. Football is poorer etc......

Now on his replacement, Moyes the odds on favourite- talk about going from caviar to sausage. Don't see it happening. The obvious one and one that I believe alot of Utd fan would want is Mour, but what really worries me on Utd behalf with him is his reliant on the media to love him hence exposing him to the sort of statement where he goes way over the line. We know SAF is prone to make inflammatory statements but they're very rare and never really cross the line.

ReputationRep:
    Real sad day for football. Love him or hate him hes done so much for the club and its going to be odd to see someone else not manage United. He does leave on his terms though and a high.

Whoever replaces him has huge shoes to fill.

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Absolutely not going to lie..almost shed a few tears

If I were to put my money on it..I think Moyes or Mourinho will take-over as manager. I'd love to see somebody like Ole take over but I don't think he's experienced enough to be the manager of Man Utd just yet. Either way, SAF will be choosing the next manager.

Mourinho + Ronaldo? :moon:

Edit - shed a few tears
    I know I'm going to end up in tears Sunday teatime when he gives his goodbye speech. This is going to be a weekend that none of us will ever forget.

ReputationRep:
    Guardiola would have been a perfect replacement. Shames he's gone to Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    Glad i'm making the trip back up to Manchester for the celebrations now. Going to be emotional!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    We have to. Think of the impact SAFs retirement is going to have on scholes, giggs. Couldn't imagine them two lasting much longer. Which would mean we'll e left with Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson who's injury prone and has fitness issues and fletcher...? Jones who isn't even a true cm...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I know I'm going to end up in tears Sunday teatime when he gives his goodbye speech. This is going to be a weekend that none of us will ever forget.
    I think a lot of us will be Obviously, most of us are in our 20's and haven't lived through other managerial era's..but SAF has simply got to be one of, if not the best manager in living history. Not just in football but in world sport.

Sir Alex Ferguson:
    26 Years
    13 Premier League Titles
    10 Community Shields
    5 FA Cups
    4 League Cups
    2 European Cups
    1 Piece of Chewing Gum

ReputationRep:
    One of the greatest managers of all time. He was incredible. An amazing motivator, a builder of champions and above all, a leader of men.

(Original post by Tommyjw)
    Yup i think you will now. Quite a few possible options.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.