Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pity that Guardiola took the Bayern job or he would have been a phenomenal successor. Who dk you guys want? I'm an Arsenal fan but I think Moyes would be the best choice. Yes Mourinho is good but he'll be out of the door in two or three years whereas Moyes will stick around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Football Stats Live® ‏@SocaStats 2m
    1,198 managers have been employed by football league clubs since Sir Alex Ferguson took over at Manchester United.

Amazing.

BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf 8m
    BREAKING: In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, all Premier League clubs will play an additional 5 minutes of added time this weekend.

:rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    1986 - Where it all began..(before many of us were even born!!)

ReputationRep:
    David Beckham has actually been placed as 33/1 for odds on the next manager. You'd be a fool to bet he'll be taking over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Pity that Guardiola took the Bayern job or he would have been a phenomenal successor. Who dk you guys want? I'm an Arsenal fan but I think Moyes would be the best choice. Yes Mourinho is good but he'll be out of the door in two or three years whereas Moyes will stick around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If Jose gets the job, then I think he would be there for a very long time. He has said himself, that when he comes back to England, it will be for the long haul.

I sort of want Solskjaer

ReputationRep:
      Although I want Mourinho I believe that if he does come he'll only be here for a few years before scarpering. Whereas I don't think Moyes will be like that - he'll probably be here for much longer.

ReputationRep:
      Wont be the same without Fergie, undoubtedly the greatest manager of all time. Actually quite sad that he's gone even though itll give the rest of us a chance to catch up.

ReputationRep:
      Sir Alex has been in charge of United for 26 years, 27 if you include injury time.

ReputationRep:
      All praise to Fergie, he has built a team with the right balance of experience and youth. He has run the club like no other club could be run for such a long time. And he has always looked forward and to better the team.
      All the fans, staff and all managers look up to him.

Long live the legend. We have to look ahead though, I believe these candidates are the most popular.

-Jürgen Klopp

-David Moyes

-Moyes

-Any past player

Take your pick and say why you would want him to manage Manchester United as club and not just as a football team.

Look at the wider aspects in terms of the qualities needed of a manager for LONG TERM.

I would choose Jürgen Klopp for these Points:

-He speaks English (better than Fergie-lol)
      -He considers bringing up youth from the ranks ( Mourinho does not). He has a very young team at Dortmund.
      -He spends money on very, very good players for relatively small amounts of money. This may be due to scouting system-get that chief scout they have in Dortmund to United! THE GLAZERS WOULD RATHER A MANGER WHO SPENDS LESS THAN MORE.
      -He has a great personality (unlike moyes)-he is Funny, charismatic, deals with pressure,and is a good guy. People like him (Mourinho can fall out with players, staff etc). I think the personality is a major part, I think I would rather have a manager (in a player's perspective) as father figure rather than an egotistical character.
      -He looks like he can manage a Football club, not just the first team. The staff and players need to be aware of a manager's presence and and thus increase their productivity.
      -He has the greatest tactical awareness than any of candidates, he brings this great transition football (even vidic praised how Dortmund work) and the hard work of the players in closing down etc.

Note that Fergie speaks of Dortmund Highly and saying that they will win the champions league. He likes the way that club is run and how they play football!! I think he has more qualities similar to Fergie and thus the best candidate to move united forward.

I think Moyes is second to Klopp as they are very similar in terms of amount of qualities needed for a manager. But Klopp is better in my opinion. Klopp also has champions league experience. Hiring Mourinho will do good for united for the short term UNLESS he changes his ways and changes his mentality into looking for a long term future at united and he respect the staff that are there.

Also note that, the owners do not want a manager that will spend alot of money on players.

I just think Klopp will look for the future and build a young team that has tactical awareness and a style of play that is full of flair like united. He could also use the new training ground to its maximum potential.

Fergie is not stupid, he knows what is best for the club. So whatever happens it is for the best.

Also note that If Mourinho chooses Manutd over chelsea (which is unlikely as he said he loves the club) then Chelsea will NOT forgive him (especially as there is a vacancy there and he doesnt want to manage Madrid any more). I think that narrows the candidates down to Klopp and Moyes.

Long live the legend. Fergie.

ReputationRep:
      Devastated..what a legend

Got a new shirt sorted for next season

Name:  Fergie.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  36.4 KB

ReputationRep:
      I just came on this thread because I knew on Twitter people would say RIP Alex Ferguson.

Morons.

When I searched the above term I was vindicated.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Genuinely feeling a bit emotional as bent as it sounds, what a manager, what an era. It's gonna be hard for anyone to fill those boots of his, I want Mourinho or Klopp, nobody else. I don't think David Moyes' system will fit us very well, and although he has limited money and done an okay job with Everton, he has no proven record of success, and that's what we need at United. It's gonna be so weird seeing someone else manage us though, 13 league titles, 5 fa cups, 2 champions leagues, 1500 games, take a bow.

Dropping by to pay my respects.

(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
        I sort of want Solskjaer
        This would be pretty awesome. Solskjaer at United and Bergkamp at Arsenal. :coma:

(Original post by Akkuz)
        BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf 8m
        BREAKING: In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, all Premier League clubs will play an additional 5 minutes of added time this weekend.

:rofl2:
        This is amazing. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
        From a business perspective, if you were the glazers, who would you have confidence and more trust to bring success and trophies to Utd, Mourinho or Moyes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        Sir Alex Ferguson's last game managing Manchester United will be his 1500th game.

Incredible..

ReputationRep:
        Absolutely devastated, but if he thinks now is the best time then so be it. We've been incredibly lucky to have had 26 years from undoubtably one of the greatest football managers of all time, 26 years.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Akkuz)
        Sir Alex Ferguson's last game managing Manchester United will be his 1500th game.

Incredible..
        I guess that includes community shield?

ReputationRep:
        United have said new manager will be revealed within the next 48 hours. I can't see it being Moyes, they wouldn't drop two bits of bad news so quickly. Plus ST renewal date isn't until June so the fact it's being done now suggests the biggest available name is coming in.

I think it's gonna be Mourinho, he's the only man big enough for the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.