Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fan here paying my respects, sorry for your loss Ferguson is a once in a lifetime manager and it was a bittersweet pleasure battling him for those years when Wenger was able to keep up.

(Original post by Idle)
    I would take a manager who stayed around for 5 years and won 3 premier leagues, a european trophy and some domestic silverware
    You're about to get a bit of a wake up call. Titles and cups don't just fall into a teams hands the way Fergie made it look like they do.

ReputationRep:
    Moyes contract runs out this summer, whereas it would take a sizeable compensation package to get Mourinho.

Moyes is frontrunner by the bookies. I mean he's 50 years old, so he'd bring 15-20 years of stability. But his lack of Champions League experience is a distinct limitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    You're about to get a bit of a wake up call. Titles and cups don't just fall into a teams hands the way Fergie made it look like they do.
    We have a cracking young team and a sizable budget for the replacement it seems. If we get a proven world class manager there is no reason we could not continue in the same fashion once they bed themselves in, if we get Moyes I fear the odd piece of domestic silverware.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fan here paying my respects, sorry for your loss Ferguson is a once in a lifetime manager and it was a bittersweet pleasure battling him for those years when Wenger was able to keep up.

Mourinho is well capable of replicating that, the only worry is that he's not exactly a "long-term" replacement.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Moyes contract runs out this summer, whereas it would take a sizeable compensation package to get Mourinho.

Moyes is frontrunner by the bookies. I mean he's 50 years old, so he'd bring 15-20 years of stability. But his lack of Champions League experience is a distinct limitation.
    Think he's incredibly overrated, personally. Never won an away game against any of the traditional ''big four'' and only two if you include the years since Spurs/City became competitive. Not to mention no experience of top level football.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fan in here. It came as a shock to me as well to hear that Alex Ferguson is retiring. I wonder who you're going to get next. I personally don't think Moyes is the right person for the job but who knows.. it will require someone special.. well it's either him or Mourinho from the looks of it.. or maybe Benitez :rofl2:

Calm down, I'm joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Now on his replacement, Moyes the odds on favourite- talk about going from cavier to sausage
    LOL what a phrase.

ReputationRep:
    Some rumours that the board have already approved the new manager and it's just a matter of formalities.

Considering SAF has announced his retirement at his moment of chosing, I can't imagine that Man Utd/SAF haven't already made the decision as to who will be appointed?

If he had a health scare, I could understand trying to work out who will be the next manager but realistically I think it's already been decided.

Wonder how long till we find out..

ReputationRep:
    Pretty interesting to see who the new manager will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Mourinho is well capable of replicating that, the only worry is that he's not exactly a "long-term" replacement.
    Mourinho is undoubtedly a great manager but a lot of his success with Chelsea came from Abramovich's money. The Russian had very recently taken over and bankrolled a ridiculous spending spree. I can't remember exact figures but Mourinho spent close to 8 bazillion pounds. Also back in 2004-2007 there was no Man City and Arsenal had just bought the Emirates beginning our slow decline. The premiership is a very different battlefield now and as great as Mourinho is I don't think he'll be anywhere near as successful now as he was back then whether he ends up at Utd or Chelsea.

(Original post by Idle)
    We have a cracking young team and a sizable budget for the replacement it seems. If we get a proven world class manager there is no reason we could not continue in the same fashion once they bed themselves in, if we get Moyes I fear the odd piece of domestic silverware.
    You will definately bag a few trophies with whoever comes in but 3 prem titles in 5 yrs is something only Fergie could achieve. 1 prem title, maybe 2 at an absolute push + a few domestic cups is about the best anyone can hope for over 5 yrs. It doesn't matter how good a team's youth is or budget...Fergie bent the rules of success.

ReputationRep:
    Cristiano Ronaldo: "Thanks for everything, boss."

ReputationRep:
    David Gill: "The new manager will have to have experience in both England and European competitions."

Have to wonder if Moyes qualifies for that.. I miss he has experience but still..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    David Gill: "The new manager will have to have experience in both England and European competitions."

Have to wonder if Moyes qualifies for that.. I miss he has experience but still..
    Moyes has managed in the Europa and CL qualifying rounds, so it's factually correct.

It's Mourinho or Moyes, that doesn't narrow it down.

I wouldn't listen to a word David Gill says anyway. Debt is the road to ruin according to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)

Surely that leaves Moyes out of the equation then since he has no European experience. So that only leaves Mourinho, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Some rumours that the board have already approved the new manager and it's just a matter of formalities.

Considering SAF has announced his retirement at his moment of chosing, I can't imagine that Man Utd/SAF haven't already made the decision as to who will be appointed?

If he had a health scare, I could understand trying to work out who will be the next manager but realistically I think it's already been decided.

Wonder how long till we find out..
    I think we could well find out in the next couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho is undoubtedly a great manager but a lot of his success with Chelsea came from Abramovich's money. The Russian had very recently taken over and bankrolled a ridiculous spending spree. I can't remember exact figures but Mourinho spent close to 8 bazillion pounds. Also back in 2004-2007 there was no Man City and Arsenal had just bought the Emirates beginning our slow decline. The premiership is a very different battlefield now and as great as Mourinho is I don't think he'll be anywhere near as successful now as he was back then whether he ends up at Utd or Chelsea.
    The premier league is arguably less competitive at the moment. There are only 3 teams that can realistically challenge for the title at the moment, and should Mourinho go to United, it's not even guaranteed that Chelsea will be competitive enough for a sustained title challenge.

He did have tons of money at Chelsea, but keep in mind that his most successful stints were at Porto and Inter Milan, where he had a lot less money than at Chelsea and Real Madrid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    I think we could well find out in the next couple of days.
    They've already confirmed as much. He's got the job it's just a case of him resigning from his current one before they go public with it. It will be within the next 48 hours. These are not rumours it has all been confirmed by the club.

The biggest hint is the new manager being cut from the same cloth and having a focus on youth development. That rules Mourinho out in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Not ready for life without SAF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Surely that leaves Moyes out of the equation then since he has no European experience. So that only leaves Mourinho, no?
    No. Moyes technically does have European experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    They've already confirmed as much. He's got the job it's just a case of him resigning from his current one before they go public with it. It will be within the next 48 hours. These are not rumours it has all been confirmed by the club.

The biggest hint is the new manager being cut from the same cloth and having a focus on youth development. That rules Mourinho out in my opinion.
    Aye, I'm thinking the same as you. The reaction of Chelsea players and supporters would be hilarious if The Special One did go to Old Trafford though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.