Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to accept that Fergie is going. It saddens me.

The young players such as Beckham, the Nevilles, Butt and Scholes are the reason I started to watch league football having only really been in to international football beforehand. Even then I could see that Ferguson was the reason we had such good young talent in the England squad, so I started to watch Man United in the league to watch a lot of England players gel and develop. It didn't take long for me to become a fan of Man United - Fergie had built an exciting team to watch. My first non-F1 heroes were United players that Fergie had turned in to legends of the game.

Going from the glorious treble season through the early 00s players came and left, but the success of Unites continued, even when the biggest of players like Schmeichel, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy, they still marched on.

Continuing through time the challenges of football changed. 442 was losing it's effectiveness, other teams got foreign investment, having 7 defenders injured simultaneously... but not once did I ever feel that United were down, that United were out.

United's winning mentality is replicated by all his players and all the United fans. It's not through arrogance, its not even our track record. It's because of Fergie. He instilled it in to the team and everyone around him. How many times have we been losing a game, even by a couple of goals, with only 5 minutes remaining with no belief we can still win? Not too many. Heck, I thought we could still come back against Real when we were 2 goals down with only 10 men. Entirely because I know that Fergie wouldn't give it up.

Nobody on Earth can replace Fergie. He will be succeeded of course, but never replaced. His nous is unmatched and he will be remember by United fans for much longer than his time in charge.

I say thank you to Sir Alex. I wish you well in your retirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    I've not gone back to look at the old tables but from what I can remember it was Arsenal Man Utd and some gap to the rest for a good few years, then Abramovich came along and it was Arsenal Man Utd Chelsea, then Man City came along and it was Man City Man Utd Chelsea and in all 3 eras there were the Evertons Liverpools Newcastles in amongst it. Next season however I think the big 3 will become the big 4 and potentially big 5. Mancini will want his title back, Mourinho will want a good start at Chelsea, how well Moyes will do is obviously debatable but needless to say he'll at least keep you guys up there, Wenger finally has considerable money to spend and AVB has potential. Zee title race next year is gonna be brilliant...and close.
    My bad yes £10 m i misread a news article

If not Moyes i'd welcome klopp becuase he's basically doing what fergie does perhaps with less money his team plays good football, encourages youth development

Listening to bbc 5 live raising some good points such as the glazer's relationship with the next manager, David Gill's relationship with the manager and Gill possibly retiring

Whoever the new manager is, he will be under immense pressure i believe we should give him about 3 years to get the team correct

ReputationRep:
    Doing a YouGov survey on SAF.

One of the questions, "who do you think was his worst signing". One of the options being Forlan, which in itself is rage worthy (for me) but his name is spelt as Forlon :laugh: At first I thought it was a deliberate pun (forlorn).

Another option is De Gea. That's even more rage inducing. Fortune and Hargreaves are bad enough.

ReputationRep:
    Its gonna be weird seeing the team play and Fergie not in the sidelines shouting the odds to the players and officials

The best memory I have of him is during the real madrid match when he was acting cheerleader using the fans to counteract the red card, a slightly sad day but im not sad enough to cry

(Original post by River85)

One of the questions, "who do you think was his worst signing". One of the options being Forlan, which in itself is rage worthy (for me) but his name is spelt as Forlon :laugh: At first I thought it was a deliberate pun (forlorn).

Another option is De Gea. That's even more rage inducing. Fortune and Hargreaves are bad enough.
    De Gea?!?! What?! :rant:

Surely Djemba-Djemba/Kleberson/Bebé? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)

Gotta be Dong for me!

Just saw this:

:mmm:

Also, just wondering - is there anyone who wouldn't want Mourinho at the club simply on the basis that it, y'know, feels a bit wrong? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oberton (sic) and Cryff (sic) were also listed. Seemed a bit rushed, to be honest. I mean, Cruyff is only one of the most famous names in world football.

(Original post by Champagne Supernova)

Yeah, would be bad enough naming him this time last year, considering his age and potential, but after the season he's had?

I went for Bebé, but it could have been any from a list of about five. Same with best signing.

Luke Chadwick was also an option for worst signing, which is a bit inaccurate as, being a product of the youth team, he wasn't a "signing" as such.

Poborksy was another which I also think is a bit harsh. Played a role in the title winning side of 96-97, and had some technical ability, but just couldn't compete with a rising Beckham.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want Mou or Moyes in a sense, I see them as Chelsea and Everton managers in the same way I kind of still see RVP as a Arsenal man and Ronaldo a United man. For me Klopp is the ideal candidate he'd take on the role in a new light for a lot of the fans who don't watch much german football and bring in talented new German players whilst playing a very fine style, I cannot believe that out of all the candidates we've mentioned over the years that Moyes will be the one to take over, he was always the guy that we put in contention but never even second choice for most, and we could miss out on a great young manager in Klopp, who may be a CL winner, however if Moyes is the manager then he will have my backing as long as he does all he can for the club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Also, just wondering - is there anyone who wouldn't want Mourinho at the club simply on the basis that it, y'know, feels a bit wrong? :o:
    Not on the basis that it just "feels a bit wrong", no. He wouldn't be my first choice for reasons probably already mentioned here, and previously by Sir Bobby C, that with Mourinho it is all about the ego and also childish petulance that we've seen at Real Madrid. It's not what I want to see from my club's manager.

SAF's watch tapping was borderline. Eye poking is just disgraceful.

Whether he'd be able to change, have less of the ego and the soap opera stuff getting in the way of the club, but then that wouldn't be Mourinho.

ReputationRep:

Have you not been watching any matches since the second half of last season?

ReputationRep:
    Well confirmed it's moyes. Is he bloody scouting Bale already?

ReputationRep:

Forgotten Veron? :teeth:

Oberton (sic) and Cryff (sic) were also listed. Seemed a bit rushed, to be honest. I mean, Cruyff is only one of the most famous names in world football.

Yeah, would be bad enough naming him this time last year, considering his age and potential, but after the season he's had?

I went for Bebé, but it could have been any from a list of about five. Same with best signing.

Luke Chadwick was also an option for worst signing, which is a bit inaccurate as, being a product of the youth team, he wasn't a "signing" as such.

Poborksy was another which I also think is a bit harsh. Played a role in the title winning side of 96-97, and had some technical ability, but just couldn't compete with a rising Beckham.
    Agreed, De Gea being mentioned is a poor decision. He's in most pundit's team of the year!!

Whilst Chadwick wasn't our best player, he still had passion for the club. As you say he came through the ranks.

Porborsky mention is very harsh! Especially if you consider how good he was on Fifa 98 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    BBC Sports Editor David Bond: "David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United. An announcement could be made tomorrow afternoon."

Not on the basis that it just "feels a bit wrong", no. He wouldn't be my first choice for reasons probably already mentioned here, and previously by Sir Bobby C, that with Mourinho it is all about the ego and also childish petulance that we've seen at Real Madrid. It's not what I want to see from my club's manager.

SAF's watch tapping was borderline. Eye poking is just disgraceful.

Whether he'd be able to change, have less of the ego and the soap opera stuff getting in the way of the club, but then that wouldn't be Mourinho.
    Oh, that's close to what I meant. :o: I was trying to ask whether people didn't disapprove of Mourinho coming in due to (i) the sort of antics you've mentioned and (ii) his Chelsea history despite him being the most accredited of the rumoured contenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Have you not been watching any matches since the second half of last season?
    These were options put forward by the survey, not by me. I thought that was quite obvious, especially as I called the inclusion of De Gea and Forlan rage inducing?

To say that De Gea or Forlan are even near the level of Milne and Bebe is just laughable.

(Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Forgotten Veron? :teeth:
    I haven't, no, and neither did the survey. He was listed as an option.

These were the options that I can remember.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ralph Milne
    David May
    Luke Chadwick
    Quinton Fortune
    Kleberson
    Djemba-Djemba
    Bebe
    Forlan
    Cruyff
    Poborsky
    Veron
    Obertan
    Blanc

I don't think Veron was that bad, though admittedly pricey. He was an excellent player, just not as well suited to the English game as we hoped he would be and his strength at free kicks was quite redundant with Beckham in the team. Still put in some good performances, and was salivating in one or two European games. I can accept him being put forward as an option, however, but not De Gea and Forlan.

ReputationRep:
    These were options put forward by the survey, not by me. I thought that was quite obvious, especially as I called the inclusion of De Gea and Forlan rage inducing?
    My mistake, sorry. But those options put by the survey are ridiculous then.

ReputationRep:
    "David Moyes is set to be new Manchester United manger"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22453895

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Moyes will employ his 4-5-1 here or go with 4-4-2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.