Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lots of hate for Rooney. Could be worse, imagine if he'd been injured his entire career and owed everything to Utd before forcing his way to City after his first full season...

Interesting how RVP is a bon homme because he did it to someone else but Rooney is scum for doing less to Utd. But that's all football fans I guess.
    How many more times are you going to slip this opinion of yours in?

If Rooney wants to leave (again), then so be it. He gave us his best years and I'm grateful for that. Having said that, personally would not settle for anything under £35mil. Preferably towards the 40 mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Thinking that way he's not that great. If he can be bought for 30m that's fine personally. I don't think it's a decline. I think he's been like this since the world cup. He does well at united but if kagawa can step up then there's not much need for rooney but I still think he should stay at united in terms of his talent.
    That's pretty much it to be honest, as the poster above said, you can point to stats but how many genuinely good performances can you recall from him this season? I'm struggling to name one.

The game where his touch became obvious was the Algeria one, where he tried too hard and nothing came off (then came his infamous rant.) He's not been the same since.

I actually feel really bad for Kagawa as he was bought without van Persie in mind, then van Persie became available and he's had to make do with limited game time.

To be honest I'd say it's a decline, even since the World Cup he's had single games where he's justified his reputation somewhat (Bolton hat-trick, Arsenal 8-2, City overhead kick, West Ham hat-trick away etc) and he was at least lasting 90 minutes. Now he's not even doing that and his spectacular moments are becoming even more infrequent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    "Oh Mr David never won a trophy or away match against a top side Moyes, please come and manage the biggest team in football." I like Moyes and what he's done at Everton has to be admired, but even his biggest fan has to admit that Ferguson to Moyes is a massive step down. A club of our stature should be looking at the best managers in the world, and that's not Moyes. Of course I'll support him if he does come, and it's looking very likely he will. We look a much weaker side with Moyes in charge than we do with Ferguson or Mourinho in charge.
    I think that's quite harsh on Moyes. The top sides, unless they're absolutely awful, lose 2-3 games at home at the very most each season (and I'd wager these losses come against clubs who have wage budgets closer to theirs). Moyes' Everton have beaten us and Man City (took points away from them at the Etihad, too, as drawing at the Emirates) this season, drew against us at OT last season to basically take away the title from us and beat Man City at Goodison, and have beaten us once or twice in the past. Actually, Everton have given us very tough games during Moyes' tenure, even the wins have been very tight. As for the lack of trophies, it's very hard to win those if you haven't got the £££. Everton reached the FA Cup final in 2009, met a bankrolled Chelsea. Uphill task. It's all about luck - Redknapp has won the FA Cup but I don't rate him above Moyes, his Portsmouth side just happened to face Cardiff rather than a top side (and Portsmouth did have money to flash). Small margins.

(Original post by DH1')
    It's definitely a downgrade and Mourinho is clearly the better manager. But you can't really look at it that way when talking about Moyes taking charge. It would seem like a downgrade, whoever took over the role. With Moyes, Ferguson and United must see it as the best fit. In keeping with the principles that have defined United. He's good with youth, the longevity factor, and stability. Three things Mourinho doesn't do. Getting him would mean changing how United run things. Sure he's seen as the dream replacement because people think he'd ensure instant success but it doesn't mean Moyes wouldn't. Tbh i was underwhelmed by his name being mooted, but just coming to the realisation now that's it's not so bad. More down about Fergie going than Moyes replacing him. He'd get my full support.
    Good post. Pretty much sums up my feelings, though I have always liked Moyes so I'd be very happy with the appointment. SAF has chosen to retire at a good time for his successor, much credit to him for that. Some managers can go on and on and on until they lose their zest, but he has left the club in very good shape - there are a lot of promising, experienced youngsters who can only get better over the next few years. Moyes is coming in at a good time. He'd have to be an absolutely horrific manager to ruin this lot.

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever why people think Klopp is a better fit for Man Utd than Moyes (or how Fergie would also see them as a better fit, knowing what makes him tick), Mourinho I can understand due to his success but there are a lot of drawbacks. In the same way I've been alarmed that Chelsea/Tottenham have never gone for Moyes but rather for foreign, flavour-of-the-month options which have ended as disasters.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney wants to leave, breaking on SSN. Sorry if already mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if Rooney has asked to leave, he will leave no player will be kept at the club, just Man Utd don't want to reduce the price, Rooney has been a great player for us, kept us at the top post Ronaldo but the incident in 2010 always told us that Rooney didn't give a **** about the club but only his cv and his pockets, let him leave I say, cash in on him and buy a suitable replacement and since his decline there are many, the press will go wild about it saying the new Man Utd without Fergie and now Rooney has to fail, but lets be honest Rooney is in decline for us, he is not needed and paying 250k a week for a player on the bench is like what Madrid are doing to Kaka, Rooney should go to PSG, the ****ty league will maintain his reputation and he'll be guaranteed starts, something Rooney is not guaranteed here with Kagawa and Welbeck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    How many more times are you going to slip this opinion of yours in?

If Rooney wants to leave (again), then so be it. He gave us his best years and I'm grateful for that. Having said that, personally would not settle for anything under £35mil. Preferably towards the 40 mark.
    Sorry, but RVP really grates me. Just always find it amusing how all fans are blinded on the personal shortcomings of players who play for their team until the second they leave.

Nobody will pay anywhere near 35 for Rooney. 25m is his true value imo

ReputationRep:
    I've yet to see anything concrete on the Rooney front so till I do I will regard it as tosh frankly.

if he does leave we won't accept less than £30m for him as we paid nearly that anyway for him IIRC

ReputationRep:
    That side without Rooney is better than our current first team 11 people say how flexible he is and stuff but lately Giggs has been preferred in the wings compared to him, RVP is better up front and the only 2 positions he can play are CM & CAM. Anybody else hope we get Bale/Ronaldo and revert back to 4-3-3 again.

DDG
    Rafael- Vida - Evans - Evra/Baines
    Carrick - new DM/Cleverly
    Kagawa
    Nani/Valencia - RVP - Bale/Ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    I've yet to see anything concrete on the Rooney front so till I do I will regard it as tosh frankly.

if he does leave we won't accept less than £30m for him as we paid nearly that anyway for him IIRC
    pretty wierd way of thinking about it. Torres cost chelsea 50mill im sure if you offered then 30 they would bite your hand off. Gotta cut your losses rather than loosing 20/25mill altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    pretty wierd way of thinking about it. Torres cost chelsea 50mill im sure if you offered then 30 they would bite your hand off. Gotta cut your losses rather than loosing 20/25mill altogether
    comparing Rooney to Torres and then expecting me to respect your opinion on footballing matters is rather rich don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    comparing Rooney to Torres and then expecting me to respect your opinion on footballing matters is rather rich don't you think?
    lol rooney is not performing too well at the minute though is he

ReputationRep:
    You realise SSN have confirmed the club have said he's not for sale right? "MANCHESTER UNITED: WAYNE ROONEY IS NOT FOR SALE"

Not saying anything is fact in terms of him actually saying he wants to leave though however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    You realise SSN have confirmed the club have said he's not for sale right? "MANCHESTER UNITED: WAYNE ROONEY IS NOT FOR SALE"

Not saying anything is fact in terms of him actually saying he wants to leave though however.
    which means he isn't for sale? doesn't mean he has said he wants to leave, just means the club felt it necessary to call BS on the media reports that he is...

ReputationRep:
    which means he isn't for sale? doesn't mean he has said he wants to leave, just means the club felt it necessary to call BS on the media reports that he is...
    Well yeah, nothing is fact in that sense yet however it does look very likely he wants to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lots of hate for Rooney. Could be worse, imagine if he'd been injured his entire career and owed everything to Utd before forcing his way to City as captain after his first full season for a huge pay rise...

Interesting how RVP is a seen as a classy, trustworthy guy because he did it to someone else but Rooney is now scum for allegedly preparing to do less to Utd. But that's all football fans I guess.
    So what rvp isn't an angel much like giggs isn't an angel but nobody talks about that

I'm bored of rooneys BS if he wants to go let him, no player is bigger than the club

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we could get Baines from Everton on the cheap if Moyes joins utd. Possible even Fellani ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Rooney can go if he wants, Falcao, Bale and Ronaldo would improve us anyway, yes he's been a good player but if he wants 250k a week he can leave for the right price of anything above 40mil.
    You honestly think the Glazers would authorise a near £200,000,000 splurge on three players in one summer with their wages hitting about £800,000 a week combined :lolwut:

Do you actually realise how ridiculous your post is?

On a more serious point, Falcao and RVP are too similar and RVP offers more outside the box, so what would be the point in buying him, except to buy the current fancy name in world football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in selling Rooney and then buying an actual striker who wouldn't even fit in the team anyway? People seem to forget what type of player Rooney is and what formation we play, Falcao and co would come in and do sweet **** all for our first 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    That side without Rooney is better than our current first team 11 people say how flexible he is and stuff but lately Giggs has been preferred in the wings compared to him, RVP is better up front and the only 2 positions he can play are CM & CAM. Anybody else hope we get Bale/Ronaldo and revert back to 4-3-3 again.

DDG
    Rafael- Vida - Evans - Evra/Baines
    Carrick - new DM/Cleverly
    Kagawa
    Nani/Valencia - RVP - Bale/Ronaldo
    Kagawa hasn't done anything to show he is better there than Rooney, there is a reason he hasn't played a massive amount, Rooney has been better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    You honestly think the Glazers would authorise a near £200,000,000 splurge on three players in one summer with their wages hitting about £800,000 a week combined :lolwut:

Do you actually realise how ridiculous your post is?

On a more serious point, Falcao and RVP are too similar and RVP offers more outside the box, so what would be the point in buying him, except to buy the current fancy name in world football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think he means any one of the 3 would improve the team. Falcao is not needed, lewandowski isn't as good as falcao in the box but he offers more outside the box.

Bale would be a good person to replace rooney though. He can play on the wings and switch with kagawa if needed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.