Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    I think with SAF as director, he will do all he can to bring Ronaldo back, especially if Rooney leaves, there has been reports that Jorge Mendes the agent of Ronaldo/Falcao/Mou has met with David Gill, but its pretty much certain Mou is not coming, if Falcao was coming like the reports earlier saying that a deal has been done, then I think it would've been announced by now, maybe Ronaldo could be coming back, I think he just looks frustrated playing for Madrid at times and he must've realised how much he is loved by fans here when he came back, but it does seem like wishful thinking.
    I Ronaldo's frustration comes from now in spain he's known as second best, the Spanish prefer Messi, and that comes even from within his own team. He's also said he doesn't feel he get the same love and support from the Madrid fans as Messi does from the Barca lot. I guess he's feeling a little isolated in way he never was in the PL. He was compared to Messi but it was never established who was best, and he was the best player at United and in the PL, and loved by the fans. There are too many variables to guess, money, contract, his wishes, our clubs wishes. But for sure he's 28 now, but a player with the technique he has, and the shear physicality he is an athlete, I don't think you'll see a dip in his play for perhaps another 4-5 years if the motivation is there.

As for Rooney unless PSG or City are interested he might be looking the other side of the pond. He's a good player but he's not headed to Barca, he's not displacing the likes of Ozil, he's not going to be shifting Gotze or Kroos. Running out of clubs who can pay his wages. He'll probably end up staying because leaving would mean a pay cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I Ronaldo's frustration comes from now in spain he's known as second best, the Spanish prefer Messi, and that comes even from within his own team. He's also said he doesn't feel he get the same love and support from the Madrid fans as Messi does from the Barca lot. I guess he's feeling a little isolated in way he never was in the PL. He was compared to Messi but it was never established who was best, and he was the best player at United and in the PL, and loved by the fans. There are too many variables to guess, money, contract, his wishes, our clubs wishes. But for sure he's 28 now, but a player with the technique he has, and the shear physicality he is an athlete, I don't think you'll see a dip in his play for perhaps another 4-5 years if the motivation is there.
    I think there is a changing in the tax rule in spain which will cause him to loose over 50% of his money + a clause in his contract that all money he receives from sponsors and things outside, madrid receive a percentage of that so he isn't being paid all that much in the end. I know messi gets a ridiculously high amount a week so that he ends up with 180k a week after tax. In england he will probably be charged about 25% tax unless his agent is dumb enough to not know how to exploit it. He be at this level for atleast another 3 seasons then he hits 32 and there will be a steady decline from there, but he will be like giggs and zanetti because of his physique

ReputationRep:
    I don't know see Fergie leaving 2 weeks after Rooney handing in a transfer request and not having done something about it, either he has persuaded Rooney to stay or he has found a replacement, and if signing Ronaldo is out of sight now that Moyes is manager then thats not exactly a great sign is it.

ReputationRep:
    **** is going down, apparently.

First of all, the Ronaldo stuff. Yes, maybe he'd want to leave Real Madrid. I'm not sure I believe that really, but it's plausible considering there are no indications of him signing a new contract yet, and you'd think they'd be keen to tie up someone of his quality asap. Maybe he'd want to come back to us, without Ferguson that maybe seems a little more unlikely, but still maybe. But frankly I've never bought in to any of these rumours.

Re Rooney, he's obviously a very good player. It's a shame he isn't able to play in his most effective position anymore, those two seasons where he was up top he absolutely destroyed teams. I really don't see him as an effective midfielder, so he needs to be playing up front if he's going to stay. If he really has asked to leave, which I refuse to believe until it's confirmed, then perhaps he should be sold, if the money is right. There are plenty of good players out there and we're using Rooney very ineffectively, so we might as well spend that money on a world class player that fits into our formation. I'd be upset if Rooney left, he's excellent, but at the same time I'm not at all pleased that he (may have) asked to leave again.

ReputationRep:
    These are my thoughts on what has been a very strange 2 days

I'm gutted SAF is leaving of course, but we've been expecting this day for some time, so it's of no shock. I think the timing of it is a bit inconvenient as I don't think there is an available manager out there who can come in and attempt to perform the impossible of being his replacement.

Personally, I always wanted Pep, he has charisma and Barca's form this season has shown he actually did quite a remarkable job with them. Plus he worked his way up through Barca's ranks, so he knows footballing values and the passion behind a club of such magnitude. If not Pep I wanted Klopp; he's a remarkable up and coming manager with that European experience, I feel he could handle the United job, but that's not happening so...

So that leaves us with Moyes and Mourinho really. As much as I don't want Jose anywhere near our club, he is a winner! Everywhere he's gone, he has won trophies so he has that mentality but of course with him, it's all about him, he's like a walking circus act.

Moyes has the values and knows football, but his lack of Euro experience and managing at this level is of great concern to me. I'll support him as it looks like he'll get the job, but I'm very pessimistic going forward now.

On Rooney, let him go. Yeah he's a great player but that's twice now he's asked to leave in 3 years! He has played well in unfamiliar positions this season but I can't be putting up with his BS anymore tbh. So just get some money in and re-invest in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Fulham fan but I admire Ferguson in many ways. He was an incredible manager, really outstanding and unlike people like Mourinho he wasn't arrogant or egotistical. No British manager will equal his record and perhaps no managers at all.
    I have doubts about Moyes if he is indeed appointed. He's a superb manager but this is a huge step up. He doesn't have experience managing big player with big egos and his transfer record is fairly weak when he's spent considerable money.
    He deserves it though and I really hope it works out. I also hope he's given the time to make the team his own.

ReputationRep:
    I rate Rooney as a player more than most seem to, but honestly I coudn't give a **** if he left now. Having the news come out on the same day as SAF's retirement just emphasised how inconsequential it is the in the grand scheme. We lost an absolute legend who we'll never see again, next to that the potential loss of Rooney doesn't seem to matter.

It was never quite the same after the first time he asked to leave, although his performances and our reliance on him went some way to winning me back over. But doing it again changes everything. I think i'd actually welcome a big money move abroad, assuming it gave us the funds to spend big on both a CM and a winger. Be weird watching him play for Chelsea/City though. If he stays, and that might actually be the most likely option, i'm sure he'll still do a great job for us, but he'd deserve to be unpopular with us supporters.

Haven't posted about SAF yet, it has all been said already, not enough thank yous in the world. Wishing Moyes all the best.

ReputationRep:
    These are my thoughts after a few days reflection.

Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time. It won't be the same without him, that is for sure. It will feel strange at first. What he has done at this football club has been truly remarkable. He's pretty much made all my dreams come true as a supporter.

David Moyes is the right man for the job. He will provide stability, he will have an excellent work ethic at the club, and he feels very much part of the Manchester United family. This is a club run very differently to Chelsea, or Manchester City. It's not about bringing somebody in, winning a few trophies then leaving. I'd be looking for the next manager to stay for eight years plus, and Moyes aged 50 is the right man for the job. He's 'cut from the same cloth' as it were, to Sir Alex Ferguson. It just feels right in every way. I've always wanted Moyes. He has done very well at Preston and Everton given the limited funds and deserves his chance. He was good to Everton Football Club.

In terms of other candidates, Mourinho has the star appeal, but I'm just not sure his ethos suits this peaceful club. No man is bigger than the club, and I just don't think the board were ever comfortable with the thought of it. Ferguson himself, has had a big say in Moyes' innevitable appointment. I think Mourinho is more suited to Chelsea. Klopp was the other candidate, but his lack of experience in English football means he wouldn't have been the right choice.

The only other thing I'd say about is I'm glad we haven't gone down the 'ex-player' route. Because whilst I'd welcome Giggs, Scholes and whoever else in the playing staff, they don't have the managerial experience required for Manchester United.

On the Wayne Rooney situation, my own personal opinion is to sell him. I think he's been a major disappointment over the last two seasons (despite the statistics), and I feel he suffers from ego issues. He's not performed anywhere near to the level of Robin van Persie over the last two seasons and I think we would be best to sell him and try and get another striker in, perhaps Robert Lewandowski. I think Wayne's actions removing 'Manchester United' from his twitter account say it all, he's a bit pathetic really. I was there on his debut and felt a deep seeded bond with him, but I can't say I'd be that bothered if he went, it certainly wouldn't have the impact on me as when Cantona left, or Beckham left, or Ronaldo left, or even van Nistelrooy left.

On Cristiano Ronaldo, I don't think he'll return. Obviously I'd love it, he has been our best player in the Premier League era for me. But the transfer fee would be way too high and we saw last night with the badge thumping kissing the turf that he loves Madrid and will be there next season.

I think it's an exciting time. The new chairman, Ed Woodward is an ex-J.P Morgan banker. He understands that the whole structure at Manchester United is built around success on the pitch. In order to keep generating the high commercial revenue, be it from sponsors, television deals, competition fees etc. the team have to keep winning trophies. He knows this. Debts have reduced by over 50% since 2009 but in order for the debt to be paid down completely, they have to keep delivering on the pitch.

I'd like to see a few really big signings, to keep the mood and momentum high and to keep future investors happy. It's a nerve wracking time but also exciting. It will be strange having a new manager but it's a challenge for this club I'm very much looking forward to.

Nobody is bigger than this football club, Sir Alex Ferguson would be the first to admit that and at this time of all times. Looking forward to seeing how Moyes does.

ReputationRep:
    According to Sky Sports, DM is going to be announced in 1-2 hours. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    The Facebook page jumped the gun :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Rooney removes Manchester United player from twitter account, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...itter-bio.html

ReputationRep:
    Everton confirm Moyes is leaving and has a "desire" to join United.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about this for United. You could say Moyes is a safe bet, he gets the best out of his normally limited squad and has generally done well on a much smaller budget. However, he is still to actually win anything and at United there is a huge winning mentality. I'm fascinated in a way, the squad is more than good enough but I wouldn't be surprised to see United struggle at times next year. He'll get time though, that's for certain.

It does feel a bit like United has been dumped by Zooey Deschanel and is on the rebound with Emily Deschanel. She's good looking, but it's not quite the same, is it?

ReputationRep:
    atleast your gonna get Baines and A decent midfielder in fellaini finally.

If your lucky you can get Gibson back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    atleast your gonna get Baines and A decent midfielder in fellaini finally.

If your lucky you can get Gibson back
    Lose Fergie, lose Rooney, but it's OK, it's the magnificent return of El Lump! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Lose Fergie, lose Rooney, but it's OK, it's the magnificent return of El Lump! :awesome:
    Never forget when they said he was gonna be the next paul scholes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lots of hate for Rooney. Could be worse, imagine if he'd been injured his entire career and owed everything to Utd before forcing his way to City as captain after his first full season for a huge pay rise...

Interesting how RVP is a seen as a classy, trustworthy guy because he did it to someone else but Rooney is now scum for allegedly preparing to do less to Utd. But that's all football fans I guess.
    It's completely different. RVP was by far the best player at Arsenal and wanted to leave to get the trophies that his ability deserves. Rooney is not the best player at Utd by a long way, and has already won trophies and will probably continue to do so.

He probably thinks he's better than he is, Barca, Madrid, Bayern, City etc won't want him, if he wants to keep the same wages he'll have to go to PSG.

ReputationRep:
    Its official! http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...vid-moyes.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Moyes just been confirmed

ReputationRep:
    Six year contract :facepalm:

Good look to him, really hope he proves me wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.