Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Glad he's been given a 6 year contract. ITT it will take at least two years before we have a Moyes' United.
    Yes. It is exciting. I am sure he will do very well. Looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Isnt that worse then? Deserting when you're desperately needed like RVP(after being given so much by AFC) did vs leaving when a team doesnt really need you?

Again just love how football fans logical mind works. RVP=classy guy, Rooney=chav ****. :rolleyes:
    The situations aren't the same. Not saying what RVP did was particularly good but from his stand point it was necessary. Football is a game you play to win. RVP wasn't going to win anything at Arsenal. He moved to Arsenal back when they were a side competing for silverware, worked hard and gave you are return on the faith Wenger had showed in him. All players have ambitions to win and if he wanted to fulfil that he had to leave, those were circumstances created by the club. RVP had hit the ceiling at Arsenal. Had Arsenal been investing, had he been playing alongside Fabregas, Nasri, Wilshere it would have been indefensible but they weren't, they gave him a legitimate reason to leave.

As for Rooney what is his reason for leaving? What have United not provided for him that means he has to go elsewhere? He's just won another title, he being paid a fortune, last season we brought one of the biggest players in the PL and one from the Bundesliga so he can't complain the team isn't being built, the second most expensive keeper in history is coming good. Has he been carrying the team this year? Has he been a standout performer? The club has catered for him, and provided what would be expected. He's had a career most footballers could only dream of, and now at the first hint of things getting difficult just like with City, he wants to jump ship.

As I said, I not sure he will even leave. The number of clubs that can afford to pay him what he thinks he's worth and will be in the market are few. PSG or City, basically clubs with money and an inferiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    I think they'll always be question marks over Moye's until he wins his first league title. If he goes 3+ years without one I think the pressure for a "big name" manager will be too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    I think they'll always be question marks over Moye's until he wins his first league title. If he goes 3+ years without one I think the pressure for a "big name" manager will be too much.
    3 years with no Silver would be the end of Moyes' career.

Make no mistake, the position of United manager can elevate you to the all time greats, but it'll destroy somebody MUCH quicker!

ReputationRep:
    Moyes should be given 2 years to just qualify for CL, and get into the QF of CL, if he fails then panic alarms should be ringing. In his 3rd season I think we should be expecting the league. I think the major reason why fans are disappointed is because since knocking Liverpool of their perch and winning the title back from City we wanted to dominate Europe again, and with Moyes having little european experience it could be a couple of seasons until we may even challenge for the CL again, unless Moyes surprises all of us. Common Moyes become a fan favourite and sign Ronnie back.

ReputationRep:

Make no mistake, the position of United manager can elevate you to the all time greats, but it'll destroy somebody MUCH quicker!
    Yh it would definately be the end of his united career. Even if he were to win an F.A cup I still think he would be fired after 3 years without a league. And its quite conceivable that could happen with Chelsea and Man City as competition.

ReputationRep:

I don't think so. It's silly to think everything is going to be all unicorns and rainbows from here on out. It's going to take some time to settle into such a massive change. Obviously winning nothing for three years wouldn't be a good thing, but I'm certain he wouldn't be kicked out, so long as we were competing still. Now, if we had a Liverpool-esque decline, then yeah, he'd be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I don't think so. It's silly to think everything is going to be all unicorns and rainbows from here on out. It's going to take some time to settle into such a massive change. Obviously winning nothing for three years wouldn't be a good thing, but I'm certain he wouldn't be kicked out, so long as we were competing still. Now, if we had a Liverpool-esque decline, then yeah, he'd be in trouble.

(Original post by anonstudent1)
    Yh it would definately be the end of his united career. Even if he were to win an F.A cup I still think he would be fired after 3 years without a league. And its quite conceivable that could happen with Chelsea and Man City as competition.
    Somewhere between you guys we have a pretty reasonable set of expectations for Moyes to live up to. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    No way
    He's more established than Gotze atm, although Gotze has a higher potential rate at 20 he isn't proven enough to been considered better. And Rooney has a higher work ethic, ability to play pretty much anywhere and 200-odd goals for Manchester United in 400 games despite playing out of position fairly often.

Anyway, back to Moyes, cannot see us winning PL in first season, but we shouldn't turn on him at that point as someones already said. CL would be good to get to last 16/ QF in his 1st season, and would like to see us winning a cup- preferably FA Cup as well as 2nd in the league. A slow progression, remember how long it took SAF to settle down. Moyes should be given patience and support of all us Red Devils.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see what Moyes can do with money available to him, he's obviously done incredibly well on Everton's tight budget.

ReputationRep:

Well said.

I wouldn't mind one trophyless season, but two would be hard to take. Even just a cup would be great for Moyes in first two years.

I'd be looking for signings this season mikeyd85, what do you think. Perhaps Robert L?, maybe Baines?, Fellaini?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who would prefer to buy bale than ronaldo, afterall Bale is a lot younger and I imagine both will cost about the same....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Well said.

I wouldn't mind one trophyless season, but two would be hard to take. Even just a cup would be great for Moyes in first two years.

I'd be looking for signings this season mikeyd85, what do you think. Perhaps Robert L?, maybe Baines?, Fellaini?
    I'd take Fellaini straight away. When he's on it, he can dominate the midfield. I've been saying for a while we could use just a big brute for the more physical games and he'd fit in nicely. Baines, I'd take if he didn't cost the Earth. I'd happily have Robert L. :yep:

Signings will actually be really interesting this year. Will Fergie be advising Moyes on potential buys? Do we already have some in the pipeline? Will Moyes actually spend big now that he's got the money or will he carry on as at Everton? Will he chose to ship out any players? If Rooney and Nani left, who would he replace them with?

Honestly, I can't think of a more complex summer transfer window as far as United goes since... well... Fergie!

RE: Brainiac above: Sell Rooney, Nani, Valencia. Buy Bale and CR7. :yep::dice:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Moyes should be given 2 years to just qualify for CL, and get into the QF of CL, if he fails then panic alarms should be ringing. In his 3rd season I think we should be expecting the league. I think the major reason why fans are disappointed is because since knocking Liverpool of their perch and winning the title back from City we wanted to dominate Europe again, and with Moyes having little european experience it could be a couple of seasons until we may even challenge for the CL again, unless Moyes surprises all of us. Common Moyes become a fan favourite and sign Ronnie back.
    Next couple of years are transitional, nothing more. Most of us have known nothing but success under SAF but we don't have a god given right to it. When you consider that £ity will have a point to prove and Chelsea will most likely have Mourinho back and a blank chequebook, 3rd place and a run in the cups is a reasonable aim for next season.

ReputationRep:
    In other news Adnan Januzaj has won Adidas Golden Ball award for the best player of the Blue Stars/FIFA Youth Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brainiac)
    Am I the only one who would prefer to buy bale than ronaldo, afterall Bale is a lot younger and I imagine both will cost about the same....
    If we're only making one big signing, would prefer it to be a midfielder. Modric.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take Fellaini straight away. When he's on it, he can dominate the midfield. I've been saying for a while we could use just a big brute for the more physical games and he'd fit in nicely. Baines, I'd take if he didn't cost the Earth. I'd happily have Robert L. :yep:

Signings will actually be really interesting this year. Will Fergie be advising Moyes on potential buys? Do we already have some in the pipeline? Will Moyes actually spend big now that he's got the money or will he carry on as at Everton? Will he chose to ship out any players? If Rooney and Nani left, who would he replace them with?

Honestly, I can't think of a more complex summer transfer window as far as United goes since... well... Fergie!

RE: Brainiac above: Sell Rooney, Nani, Valencia. Buy Bale and CR7. :yep::dice:
    Fellaini and Baines, I'd love that. And Robert L as well, we'd be challenging in the CL with those three dreams. Not sure how much influence Sir Alex will have, he might 'gently advise' haha. It might even end up a team of both of them, with Sir Alex gradually easing out over the next few years. I'm sure they'll have regular contact.

I'd get rid of Rooney, bring in Robert. Get rid of Nani and bring in Fellaini and Iker Muniain. I'd rather have Ronaldo to Bale, but they are too expensive. Bale's not worth 40m for me. Baines instead of Evra. I wonder if Fabio will feature?

It's going to be great.

ReputationRep:
    Moyes should only be fired in his first 2 seasons if a) he doesn't qualify for CL or b) he doesn't get past both group stages of CL. A new manager needs time and Moyes will have to work with a whole new team. The aims for him this summer is to keep vital players in the squad that want to stay including Nani, Valencia, Evra and Rio, get rid of players who wish to leave and not play for us i.e. Rooney, Anderson and buy a big name player to replace Rooney plus a CM.

Who do you think will be captain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Moyes should only be fired in his first 2 seasons if a) he doesn't qualify for CL or b) he doesn't get past both group stages of CL. A new manager needs time and Moyes will have to work with a whole new team. The aims for him this summer is to keep vital players in the squad that want to stay including Nani, Valencia, Evra and Rio, get rid of players who wish to leave and not play for us i.e. Rooney, Anderson and buy a big name player to replace Rooney plus a CM.

Who do you think will be captain?
    Why does the captain have to change? What's wrong with Vidic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    If we're only making one big signing, would prefer it to be a midfielder. Modric.
    I was kind of hoping he would flop at Real just so we could get him on the cheap but he seems to have made his mark in the second half of the season. He was probably their best player in the second leg against Dortmund. I doubt they will shift him tbh, he not doing badly enough to warrant losing £20m on, and there aren't exactly a ton of CM's in the market right now that Real would bring in to displace him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.