Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread X Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, where do you think you'll come next season? I think it will be very interesting. If Arsenal or Spurs spend a lot they'll be in the top 4, Chelsea will challenge and City will be back, do you think you could come outside of the top 3 for the first time in the PL era?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a rush so a few quick points on Moyes

*Give him time. We don't know what he can do at this level yet, could turn out better than we all expect. Patience.

*6 years is a statement of intent from the board. Being a PLC and corporate entity though they are somewhat beholding to the share owners + official partners. If no success for 2-3 seasons it'll drop profits and prestige and I can see the stakeholders forcing the Glazers hand and lobbying for his removal as manager.

*The squad is healthy and will be in the top mix for the next few seasons, Moyes is inherting a very strong position to build on

*I'm a little gutted it's not Mourinho but I'm excited about Moyes too. We don't know what lies ahead now, we will be the first to see whether he can cut it at the top level - I'm about 75% sure he will be a success but can't be certain cos his trophy record has no indicators of that. No expectations, just excitement ... a fun season lies ahead IMO.

*Fergie picked the right choice for himself personally to ensure his legacy isn't overshadowed. Mourinho, as great as his success is, would've wanted to smash club records and win more trophies than Busby/Ferguson. Great for the fans who buzz off success of course, but for Fergie personally choosing a manager that probably won't upstage him in an way is smart. Maybe Im cynical on that point, but its my take on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Honestly, where do you think you'll come next season? I think it will be very interesting. If Arsenal or Spurs spend a lot they'll be in the top 4, Chelsea will challenge and City will be back, do you think you could come outside of the top 3 for the first time in the PL era?
    Squad is way superior to Arsenal and Spurs (especially if Bale leaves) for us to finish below 3rd in my opinion, however Arsenal and Spurs have much better chances against us 11 vs 11.

ReputationRep:
    Bit dramatic. Assuming there is drop with Moyes coming, which is no guarantee we've still got a solid well blended squad that is one of the best in the league. He's not going to have to deal with a Chelsea/AVB style revolt, nor is he going to get Rafa-esque stick. I cannot see Moyes not spending some money, I'd imagine we'll drop the best part of £40m this window, that before the likes of Rooney leave. I'd imagine the worst we will come is 3rd. Look at Chelsea, successive managerial appointments, incoherent transfer policy and discontent still looking at 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    How can you be so pessimistic, we were massively ahead of everyone else this year (with one of the youngest ever teams) and i honestly dont beleive that united will have ever been in a better position than they are now to cope with losing fergie (and he knew that too). We have a strong squad that is a team (not a group of individuals) and has a winning mentality, all of them look to the next trophy rather than the last. I imagine moyes will sign 2 or 3 players that will make our team the best in the premier league. Really i think we just need a winger, a cm and a replacement for rooney (if he goes) and we would be the strongest team. We dont have the biggest names in the premier league, but arguably this season our defence with the likes of evans/jones/rafael has been as good as anyones, and our attack has been as good as anyones.

De gea
    rafael jones evans evra
    Modric (or someone similiar) Carrick
    Bale Rooney(or his replacement) Nani
    RVP

with fabio, ferdinand/vidic/smalling, cleverly, young, kagawa, hernandez and wellbeck all pushing for first team positions.

Also something on the finances, from what ive read, united are making 100 million profit a year and has a debt of 350 million. So if it is there ambition to pay off the debt then over the next five years they could pay it off while also spending £30 million each year on players. We are the strongest club financially in the world (except maybe dortmund) as barcelona and real madrid are in massive debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)

*Fergie picked the right choice for himself personally to ensure his legacy isn't overshadowed. Mourinho, as great as his success is, would've wanted to smash club records and win more trophies than Busby/Ferguson. Great for the fans who buzz off success of course, but for Fergie personally choosing a manager that probably won't upstage him in an way is smart. Maybe Im cynical on that point, but its my take on it.
    Don't agree with this point at all 2bh. I think Fergie picked the man purely on the basis of who he thought would give United the best chance of long term success.

ReputationRep:
    good move for us I think, long term manager, similar ethos to Sir Alex and recommended by the man himself, bring on the summer and 2013-2014 season

come on United!

ReputationRep:
    utter tosh, Moyes is a long term manager who can build his own era at the club, Mourinho would have been a short term appointment realistically because he doesn't tend to stay at one club for long, same with most of the other big name managers linked with us.

in going for Moyes we go for a manager with a lot of premiership experience and who has a record of getting teams to perform even with limited resources, if he can replicate his success with Everton then he will build a legacy of success (and trophies) with us over the next decade or so (which I expect is the plan from Sir Alex and the club in opting for him)

we have a young squad, fantastic resources to maintain and improve that and a manager who can get the best from players and has a good eye for talent, he's very much the same kind of manger as Sir Alex imo and that's why I think we went for him.

haters will hate, but I think this is probably the best long term move for the club, I think we will be very hard to beat domestically under Moyes but Europe might (I stress might) take longer for us to get the players to be ready to win in, but we shall see, as a lifelong United fan I am fully behind the club, players and manager for the future and I will cheer them on and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I was kind of hoping he would flop at Real just so we could get him on the cheap but he seems to have made his mark in the second half of the season. He was probably their best player in the second leg against Dortmund. I doubt they will shift him tbh, he not doing badly enough to warrant losing £20m on, and there aren't exactly a ton of CM's in the market right now that Real would bring in to displace him.
    Was hoping for this too. Still hoping that he's not happy with the playing-time he gets and wants out. Usually the team has to adjust if they start Modric (provided Ozil is not injured or not being rested), similar to the Fabregas situation at Barcelona. Would still be a dream signing imo.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything apart from the final point. I think at this stage that Alex cares about the club more than his personal legacy and he thinks Moyes will be better for the club.

ReputationRep:
    David Moyes is Magic, he wears a tracksuit top
    **** of all you hipsters, go worship Jurgen Klopp
    We didn't want Mourinho, Pep or AVB
    Now lets go ransack Everton, and get Hibbert on a free
    Best I've seen so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    I'd get rid of Rooney, bring in Robert.
    I've seen you and others say this before, but Rooney plays as a 10, Lew and 9. Its cannot be Rooney or Lew, its Lew or RVP. Unless we are going to play a 4-4-2 we cannot play two forwards through the middle. Lew is a good player and probably would be a smart investment, but in terms of making United a more fearsome 11, he could do very little.

Baines, I don't think he's worth it. £15m for what, a slight improvement on Evra who will be the exact same come 2-3 seasons. The money for the improvement isn't worth it, and he's not an investment. We'd be better getting some young kid in now and slowly replacing Evra with some talent.

Fellaini could be worth it. He's reported to have a release clause at £23m which would make him affordable. But again lining up against Xabi Alonso or Basian Schweinsteiger he does seem a little budget. At his absolute peak he has been good enough, but that in itself is a worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brainiac)
    How can you be so pessimistic, we were massively ahead of everyone else this year (with one of the youngest ever teams) and i honestly dont beleive that united will have ever been in a better position than they are now to cope with losing fergie (and he knew that too).
    Yes you have the mentality, that's how you win. Pessimistic? No just true, no other team has ever won the league with only one very good CM and 3 wingers who scored a combined amount of goals less than Stewart Downing.

And please, youngest team? De Gea yes, but RVP, Carrick and Ferdinand are 28 or 29, 31 and 34. Not really key young players. Evans has played a lot but Smalling, Cleverley, Jones haven't had the biggest impact ever have they?

ReputationRep:
    All those people saying Moyes has no experience in the Europe, my question is how much experience did Roberto Di Matteo have when he won the Champions League with Chelsea?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you have the mentality, that's how you win. Pessimistic? No just true, no other team has ever won the league with only one very good CM and 3 wingers who scored a combined amount of goals less than Stewart Downing.

And please, youngest team? De Gea yes, but RVP, Carrick and Ferdinand are 28 or 29, 31 and 34. Not really key young players. Evans has played a lot but Smalling, Cleverley, Jones haven't had the biggest impact ever have they?
    De Gea is young and imo already on his day one of the best GK's in the world, Jones has all the enthusiasm and skill to be world class just needs to stay injury free for a bit (tbf he is only like 21), Evans was almost as good as Vidic/Rio at times this year, Smalling like Jones just needs a good spell in the team imo, Rafael was the best RB in the premiership this season and will only improve, Fabio is back from loan and looks a good prospect, Cleverley when fit has looked sharp enough, Zaha was super for Palace this season and is coming in, Hernandez is relatively young still as is Wellbeck and both have plenty to offer in their own right.

heck with our current squad (without adding to it which I think Moyes will) I think we will only be better next year not worse.

(Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    All those people saying Moyes has no experience in the Europe, my question is how much experience did Roberto Di Matteo have when he won the Champions League with Chelsea?
    none, which is a very fair point, Guardiola at Barcelona is another one, had no UCL or even top flight managerial experience before winning things.

ReputationRep:
    No other team has ever won the league with only one very good CM and 3 wingers who scored a combined amount of goals less than Stewart Downing.

Cleverley, Jones haven't had the biggest impact ever have they?
    My point was that they will only get better, Jones has been brilliant in the last 5/6 games, and ferguson has backed him to be our best ever player. Cleverly started the season really well and the energy he gives is underrated.

Another thing is that most people look at the names on our team sheet with stubborn prejudices, players like Evans who have performed brilliantly over the last 2 seasons but dont really get talked about a lot.

I would say that we have as good a chance as anyone to win the league next year, no need to write ourselves off before this season has even finished.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want Fellani?

maybe Davey can fix the midfield for once and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Well, I'm very excited to see David Moyes' Manchester United.
    Same. I don't quite understand all the hate towards him before he's been given the chance to really prove himself. Not even Jose would really bring guarenteed success.

ReputationRep:
    Hope Moyes convinces Rooney to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kronca)
    Hope Moyes convinces Rooney to stay.
    why? Rooney is past it, make money and buy a big name

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.