Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    They were tweeting SAF best XI on bbc today and someone said Rafael and De Gea might've been there if Fergie stayed longer, do you think Rafael and De Gea can overcome Schmeichal and Neville, I can see Rafael doing it, and only see De Gea doing it if he retires at United to become our best keeper ever.
    Rafael has a heck of a chance, because I think his time at United has made him a United fan through and through. If he can continue to have seasons like this one, then I wouldn't put it past him.

De Gea is definitely the type of keeper that could overcome Schmeichel. When comparing Schmeichel and Van der Sar, there really isn't much between them as a goalkeeper overall, but Schmikes was a match-winner for United, and I think De Gea with his shot-stopping abilities is of the same mold. If he lasted 6-10 years, he could well be up for discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  mancini.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  39.7 KB

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Fergie said goodbye to Wenger (not literally but as a title rival), then Mourinho and now Mancini.

They would have been better off keeping Mancini from a continuity point of view with SAF retiring and him knowing the league more well than Pellegrini but he deserved the sack, should have done much better and moaned about not having RVP (even though he didn't want to join City) and transfers.

In other topics, I was hoping the announcer would have asked De Gea a question when he was standing next to Rio to see how his English was doing. He was disappointed he didn't get the chance when he was doing a press conference before the Madrid tie.

I can't imagine Rooney being involved on Sunday either. The away fans won't be as calm as a home crowd might be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Rafael has a heck of a chance, because I think his time at United has made him a United fan through and through. If he can continue to have seasons like this one, then I wouldn't put it past him.

De Gea is definitely the type of keeper that could overcome Schmeichel. When comparing Schmeichel and Van der Sar, there really isn't much between them as a goalkeeper overall, but Schmikes was a match-winner for United, and I think De Gea with his shot-stopping abilities is of the same mold. If he lasted 6-10 years, he could well be up for discussion.
    The way Rafael was wearing that thank you shirt, it was nice touch. De Gea has a tough task beating Schmeichal but you make a very good point in the fact that he is a match winner (or saviour), think De Gea has the ability to also become the most successful international player for us as well, exciting prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Mancini sacked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22507128

Oh well, I hope the next manager's crap (although Mancini wasn't actually that bad).
    I thought Mancini was a good manager for City. He deserved another crack at the CL and PL.

If Pellegrini takes over, he's another fantastic coach. Villarreal were superb under him. Lovely, organised attacking football team.

Still though. I think it lacks class sacking a manager who ended a 30+ year title drought only the year before. As a united fan, I'm happy to see City destabilised again. The majority of City fans will be livid I'm sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well Pellegrini got the record points total for Madrid and got Villarreal to a champions league semi and Malaga almost the same. So from a Man utd point of view I think it's probably a bad thing that Mancini got sacked.

Tbh I agree that stability is always better than sacking a manager and Mancini did a good job. But if you look further than just his league position finishes you can see a decent argument for why he was sacked.

1) Having spent 500m and much more on wages finishing so far behind Man Utd this season is a pretty dismal result. They're regressed from last season and it's not good enough. His strange rotations and experiments with 3 at the back etc lead to some poor performances and results so a lot of the blame can be put down to him.

2) Man City have been abject in the champions league and theres no excuse for it. He had a poor champions league record for Inter as well and just doesn't seem like the man to take them forward in that competition.

3) His man management left a lot to be desired, especially the Tevez and Balotelli sagas which were farcical. He also has this strange thing where he'll openly and freely berate his players in public after they lose a game. He'll often say the players were poor and will regularly single out players such as Nasri for criticism with things like I wanted to punch him. It's a contrast to Fergie and how he would always protect his players and i don't always feel its justified, I think it's down to his own arrogance in that he will never accept responsibility. Earlier this year he claimed to be the best manager in the premier league so he's obviously very full of himself.

Tbh he just never felt like the manager to take them to the hights that they aspire to. Like Hughes he was just a manager appointed to take them to the next level before they could appoint a really big manager. So yeah an unfair sacking but not a surprising one and perhaps not a mistake we'll see how Pellegrini does, who seems like an excellent manager from his record even if he has only managed in Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This game, and this club especially, never cease to amaze me. One year ago today I was absolutely heartbroken in Sunderland hearing the news Aguero scored and City won the league. Stood next to my mate trying to fight the urge to cry whilst he beat his seat up in frustration. Exactly one year later I'm standing with the same lad under a giant statue of Sir Matt Busby, watching Sir Alex Ferguson raise that famous trophy above his head for the final time at the home of Manchester United. Redemption. It was a beautiful moment in my life. FOOTBALL. BLOODY HELL!!!

Got a few pics up on my instagram thingy, @dangerously89 if anyone wants to have a look. Few shots of players lifting the trophy, stuff like that. At least it stopped raining in time for the parade, when I walked down to the ground there was a major thunderstorm and hail the size of snowballs thumping me in the face! It didn't rain on our parade though!!

I love seeing the players reactions when they hear the songs we sing for them, especially the way Robin and Carrick were loving every minute of it. To see the players smiles up close and how much they really do appreciate the support is amazing - im cynical of modern football, all for the money etc but you can't fake that joy the lads on the bus had today! They were ballooning about singing and having fun just like we do in the stands, I love that. Absolutely love it. It's the one time I ever feel any connection with these mega star players.

P.S Mancini being sacked ... disgraceful decision. He's a football person, the
    suits in charge are not. Holistic ffs?! Love the guy or hate him, he deserved a hell of a lot better than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)

suits in charge are not. Holistic ffs?! Love the guy or hate him, he deserved a hell of a lot better than that.
    I think he should have been given a better send off, and at least said bye. But I reckon his time was up..He was a bit loopy saying he's the best manager in England, and then having nothing to show for it at the end of the season.. plus his tactics are more than questionable at times, and he hasn't been very tactful in his approach to publicly speaking about the owners backing/lack of recently.

All in all, the sheikh has probably looked at these things and thought 'off with your head'

ReputationRep:
    This weekend has well and truly drowned the memory of last year.

ReputationRep:
    They should have given him another season. Can't expect a club that has done nothing for years, suddenly to dominate United. Even with large amounts of money being spent.

Don't understand why he ****s off players in the media, though. Something that the boss never does.

I don't watch them a lot, but I don't see much wrong with their tactics. He mostly makes the same changes. Brings on a more defensive midfielder and moves Toure up when they need a goal.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Pictures of SAF, Moyes + Giggs having a 'secret' hour and a half meeting outside of Manchester, with the view being it was about Rooney

Also Carricks on twitter
    https://twitter.com/carras16

ReputationRep:
    Spanish football expert Guillem Balague tweets: "Wayne Rooney was offered to Barcelona and Real Madrid and both have decided he is not the player they need."

:rofl: Someone needs to put his ego back in check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    England vs slovakia, Love defenders that are willing to get their bodies on the line to save the team.

(Original post by Saf94)
    Well Pellegrini got the record points total for Madrid and got Villarreal to a champions league semi and Malaga almost the same. So from a Man utd point of view I think it's probably a bad thing that Mancini got sacked.

3) His man management left a lot to be desired, especially the Tevez and Balotelli sagas which were farcical. He also has this strange thing where he'll openly and freely berate his players in public after they lose a game. He'll often say the players were poor and will regularly single out players such as Nasri for criticism with things like I wanted to punch him. It's a contrast to Fergie and how he would always protect his players and i don't always feel its justified, I think it's down to his own arrogance in that he will never accept responsibility. Earlier this year he claimed to be the best manager in the premier league so he's obviously very full of himself.

Tbh he just never felt like the manager to take them to the hights that they aspire to. Like Hughes he was just a manager appointed to take them to the next level before they could appoint a really big manager. So yeah an unfair sacking but not a surprising one and perhaps not a mistake we'll see how Pellegrini does, who seems like an excellent manager from his record even if he has only managed in Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh 3atb hasn't really been as poor as people make it out to be. Bar the madrid game. Where I think they were actually winning with that formation with the kolarov free kick. I also remember them winning the tottenham game 2-1 by changing to 3atb so that's not really a problem. They also started with 3atb in the community shield and beat chelsea.

With 3, have you seen jose mourinho's press conferences? Different managers have different styles and you shouldn't deride a manager for having a different style when really other people have a similar style of management and it clearly works for them.

(Original post by IanDangerously)

Yup, agree with you here. Absolutely disgraceful decision. You can see why they did it but he should have been given another season to put things right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    England vs slovakia, Love defenders that are willing to get their bodies on the line to save the team.
    *Slovenia

ReputationRep:
    New managers at United, City and Chelsea.

Surely Arsenal must be looking at next year thinking that they've got the best chance in a while at winning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

Surely Arsenal must be looking at next year thinking that they've got the best chance in a while at winning?
    No. It would help if they had the squad.

ReputationRep:

Lol no

Their defence is a shambles, their midfield is good when they have everyone fit and IMO, their attack is weak.

They're lucky to be finishing top 4 if you ask me this season. Spurs have a much stronger squad, they just bottled it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No. It would help if they had the squad.

(Original post by zKlown)
    Lol no

Their defence is a shambles, their midfield is good when they have everyone fit and IMO, their attack is weak.

They're lucky to be finishing top 4 if you ask me this season. Spurs have a much stronger squad, they just bottled it.
    I should have added - as long as they buy some new players! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I should have added - as long as they buy some new players! :lol:
    Well, yes, I figured you meant with the usual strengthening. But Arsenal are just unable/unwilling to compete in terms of transfer fees for the time being. They are too far behind in terms of quality and depth.

Moreover, I don't think having new managers is necessarily a bad thing and will necessarily result in the aforementioned teams being significantly worse off, especially by up to 25 points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.