The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fergie said a while back that Giggs could play on for another season.

I hope it doesn't happen, while he's been good in parts his influence has waned dramatically in the last year or so.

Robbie Brady has joined Hull on a permanent deal, for circa £2m. He was never gonna make it at Utd, but I wish him all the best obviously with him being Irish and all. :smile:
Reply 441
How many players have we sold to Hull over recent years? lol :beard:
They currently have six ex-Utd players!

Fergie on Evans:

"He is the future," said Sir Alex. "Nemanja [Vidic] and Rio know that. There is no doubt. His form is improving all the time. I think his experience helps. As he matures and gets experience year-by-year, he is getting better. There is no end to his improvement. He looks as if he is improving all the time. That, for us, is a great sign."

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, haven't been around of late.
Really think Vidic and Evans could be a beastly centre back pairing for the next two to three years, or so.
Reply 444
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Really think Vidic and Evans could be a beastly centre back pairing for the next two to three years, or so.

Would prefer Evans and Smalling next season. There's been nothing beastly about Vidic both times when he's come back from injury in the last year. Bit optimistic to say Vidic can play at his best for 2-3 more seasons imo
Reply 445
Personally think Smalling's more talented, and he for me is a cert to make it. It's between Evans and Jones to fight for the spot alongside him in the future.

Always founds Evans and Rio works together better, and Smalling-Vidic. Seemed like that in 10/11 anyway, a bit strange as I thought the contrasting styles would complement each other better.
Reply 446
Between Evans, Smalling + Jones i don't think we have players good enough to be a concrete pairing for many years ala Vidic + Rio. Hence why i'd love to buy a starter like Hummels.

Evans has been our best CB this season but he hasm't been as good as he was the second half of last and has been, frankly, weak in the air. He makes himself look better because he is probably the best of our CBs on the ball atm.

Smalling is still my favourite in terms of potential defensive talent and is the only one of the three i can see reaching world class. In two years when Smalling is 25 (like Evans is now) if we compared the ability and Smalling had had a decent amount of games, i have no doubt he'll be better.

Jones still confuses me as to what he is and i still see him as an expensive turn-into-O'Shea player. Good at RB atm but we have better. Good at CB but we have better. Things can change though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 447
Generally agree about the CBs. Evans will be excellent with a world class CB alongside him, but he has fairly fundamental weaknesses that mean he can be exposed too easily. A world class CB can be sluggish as long as he's dominant in the air, Evans isn't and that's holding him back, even if the mental side of his game is top class. He's a bit like Rio 5 years ago but without the pace. You get the sense that the standard of our defending doesn't really depend on Evans, he'll be excellent in a good defence and poor in a weak one, instead of setting the tone for the quality of defending like the best CBs do. Still a very good player of course, I imagine him and Vidic will be a fairly regular partnership for the next couple of years.

Smalling certainly has loads of talent but he's got too many mistakes in him and that's stopping him being a first team regular. Assuming they get ironed out with experience he'll be an excellent player though, when he gets towards his late-twenties there's nothing to stop him being world class and talked about in the same breath as the best in Europe. Incredible pace, solid in the air and seems to understand the game like a man 5 years older. Can get outmuscled when isolated and is still a bit rash but hopefully that'll sort itself out as he ages.

Jones is quite a bit further back in terms of his development so we'll have to wait and see, needs time at CB but it's difficult to give him that. Looks like he'd have been best staying at Blackburn for a couple of seasons but that wasn't really an option with other clubs snooping around. The adventure that made him so exciting in his first few months at us has been largely coached out of him, and while he has still shown glimpses of talent they've been predominantly from full back. Thing with him is that he should be looking (even more than Smalling) to develop into a physically dominating CB, you can see that much just from his build, he'll be a tank in a few years. Hopefully the fitness issues are a result of gradually growing into his body. But at the moment he's still a 20 year old kid, and when you think of the top class imposing CBs across Europe today they were nowhere at 20, certainly not playing regularly at CB for a side competing for the title in a top league year in year out. We shouldn't expect Jones to be any different, but give him time and handle his development well and like Smalling he's got the potential to be up there with the very best, even if he's further away at the moment.

Why? Could be good for the lad really. I've still not been overly impressed by Welbeck this season.

However he is getting some game time for us so I imagine we'll keep him around rather than sending him off.
Reply 450
OFFICIAL: Davide Petrucci and Scott Wootton have joined Peterborough on loan.
Original post by Tommyjw
OFFICIAL: Davide Petrucci and Scott Wootton have joined Peterborough on loan.

I think this will be a great move, hopefully .Darren Ferguson will give them plenty of time. There are quite a few players on loan in the championship now with a few at Peterborough now and Leicester.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Louis.
But at the moment he's still a 20 year old kid, and when you think of the top class imposing CBs across Europe today they were nowhere at 20, certainly not playing regularly at CB for a side competing for the title in a top league year in year out. We shouldn't expect Jones to be any different, but give him time and handle his development well and like Smalling he's got the potential to be up there with the very best, even if he's further away at the moment.

Yeah, realised this. Most defenders who are top/world class are around 25-30 years old. E.g. look at fifa, name me 5 CB's under 23 who are at least 80 on the game? You could easily do that for strikers though. Defenders just take longer to develop and he has time on his side.

I don't think he should be loaned. But maybe keeping him as the second choice right back for now and converting him into a CB over time might work e.g. sergio ramos, jamie carragher. That's probably fergies plan. I haven't seen much of him since february, but he was a pretty explosive player from what I remember, but just didn't have good crossing ability as a right back.
Reply 453
Original post by jam277
Yeah, realised this. Most defenders who are top/world class are around 25-30 years old. E.g. look at fifa, name me 5 CB's under 23 who are at least 80 on the game? You could easily do that for strikers though. Defenders just take longer to develop and he has time on his side.

I don't think he should be loaned. But maybe keeping him as the second choice right back for now and converting him into a CB over time might work e.g. sergio ramos, jamie carragher. That's probably fergies plan. I haven't seen much of him since february, but he was a pretty explosive player from what I remember, but just didn't have good crossing ability as a right back.

It's why City should be excited about Nastasic, doesn't seem to get mentioned much but the guy is 19, and playing a decent amount for them.

I think that's the plan. Offers a physical alternative to Rafael for now but as Rio slowly gets phased out he'll get increased time at CB. As a RB he's pretty sound defensively, but as with most CBs playing there I imagine he'd struggle against an agile winger, Jones has great pace but takes a while to get there, his first few steps are often sluggish. And yeah his crossing is poor but that's no surprise.
Original post by Louis.
It's why City should be excited about Nastasic, doesn't seem to get mentioned much but the guy is 19, and playing a decent amount for them.

I think that's the plan. Offers a physical alternative to Rafael for now but as Rio slowly gets phased out he'll get increased time at CB. As a RB he's pretty sound defensively, but as with most CBs playing there I imagine he'd struggle against an agile winger, Jones has great pace but takes a while to get there, his first few steps are often sluggish. And yeah his crossing is poor but that's no surprise.

Yeah, no one actually looks at nastasic too much. He's been good for city this season and considering his age and his progress I won't be surprised if he becomes one of the best in his position. Weird that savic is doing well at fiorentina too who was part of the transfer. :lol:

Can't believe Nastasic is only 4 months older than me.

Another good thing about using jones there is that he's better aerially, so against the likes of stoke, west ham, everton who have big lads up top and play direct football he can be used to counter their threat. Reckon that's why smalling was used at right back over rafael against west ham in the 2-2 draw. I remember fergie saying this against marseille when he used o shea over rafael because of height and marseille being a physical side.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 455
Bebe scored in his first game for Rio Ave F.C
Reply 456
"Only two Premier League title winners have been outside the top three spenders when it comes to total team valuation the 1995/96 and 1996/1997 Manchester United sides full of the club’s youth team products. This anomaly belies a bigger truth to United’s twelve titles they’ve never had the highest total team valuation and only once did they have the top wages within the league (2003).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2013/01/09/in-professional-soccer-the-final-10-is-the-difference-maker/2/
Reply 457
What are people's thoughts on the rumours surrounding Lampard and Cole? I personally can't see it happening due to their age and unnecessary additions to the wage bill. Plus at LB we have Buttner and Fabio back next season. In midfield, I reckon Giggs & Scholes will be given further 1 year extensions.

But I will say, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.
Original post by Tommyjw
"Only two Premier League title winners have been outside the top three spenders when it comes to total team valuation the 1995/96 and 1996/1997 Manchester United sides full of the club’s youth team products. This anomaly belies a bigger truth to United’s twelve titles they’ve never had the highest total team valuation and only once did they have the top wages within the league (2003).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2013/01/09/in-professional-soccer-the-final-10-is-the-difference-maker/2/

That article doesn't actually show any of the statistics - how do they even work out team valuation? :s-smilie:
I'd imagine Man Utd have had the 2nd or 3rd biggest wage bill throughout the period though?
Original post by Akkuz
What are people's thoughts on the rumours surrounding Lampard and Cole? I personally can't see it happening due to their age and unnecessary additions to the wage bill. Plus at LB we have Buttner and Fabio back next season. In midfield, I reckon Giggs & Scholes will be given further 1 year extensions.

But I will say, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

Don't want to see Cole here but i wouldn't mind seeing Lampard here. We have lack a goal scoring center midfielder ever since scholes converted into a deep lying playmaker. Doubt it'll happen tho, they'll probably both move on to other leagues.

As much as i love Scholes and Giggs, I'm not sure if they'll be given another year. I reckon they'll both be coaches next year for us tho.

Latest