Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Madrid will not let Ronaldo go, he is the only reason they were able to attract big players and names, Kaka and Benzema the other 2 galacticos have been a failure, but for Ronaldo his time at RM has been depressing, he's gone from arguably the best player in the world to most people the 2nd best player in the world, has won only 1 reasonable trophy and hasn't been fully appreciated.
    That's not his fault. He's vastly improved since he left us in 2009. It's just unfortunate for him to be playing in the same time as Messi, otherwise he would have been the no. 1 best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    That's not his fault. He's vastly improved since he left us in 2009. It's just unfortunate for him to be playing in the same time as Messi, otherwise he would have been the no. 1 best.
    Yeah but Messi isn't that much better than CR7, but the press and fifa love him but hate CR7 and therefore exaggerate the gap between the two, how he won the ballon d'or in 2010 when he didn't even score in the world cup or win the CL is beyond me and just proof of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Yeah but Messi isn't that much better than CR7, but the press and fifa love him but hate CR7 and therefore exaggerate the gap between the two, how he won the ballon d'or in 2010 when he didn't even score in the world cup or win the CL is beyond me and just proof of this.
    He won the ballon d'or in 2010 because he was the best player in 2010. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    He won the ballon d'or in 2010 because he was the best player in 2010. Simple as that.
    Tbh that should have gone to diego milito or wesley sneijder but they just thought they'd give it to messi because it sounds better.
    Ronaldo wasn't even that great in 2009-2010, plus for the balon d'or they use the previous season than the actual calender year I swear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh that should have gone to diego milito or wesley sneijder but they just thought they'd give it to messi because it sounds better.
    Ronaldo wasn't even that great in 2009-2010, plus for the balon d'or they use the previous season than the actual calender year I swear.
    It's an individual award though. Sneijder had a good year but Messi was out of this world that year. Traditionally the Ballon d'Or has been given to players who've achieved the most with their teams i.e. won the World Cup or the CL, not necessarily those who have performed the best, which is ridiculous as like I say it's an individual award. Messi got it in 2010 because he has a better marketing hype around him which won him votes in all the smaller countries. He was actually a worthy winner anyway though because he had the best year.

Cannavaro in 2006, Ronaldo in 2002 and Henry not getting it in 2004 are the main cases in point of the award being given based on either marketing hype or team achievement.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh initial contact for Fabregas...

ReputationRep:
    Still can't see it happening. Fabregas has too much of an attachment to Barcelona.

Thiago or Fellaini is more plausible.

P.s. - Fabregas has supposedly said no.

ReputationRep:
    Where's this initial fabregas contact link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retirement)
    Where's this initial fabregas contact link?
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/209491.html

ReputationRep:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/209491.html

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal also have first refusal and a 50% sell-on clause. Not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Clever from ESPN. Sensationalising the story to get more hits on their website. No chance Cesc will join United.

ReputationRep:
    Espn pretty reliable source though

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas plays in the same position as Rooney and Kagawa, and I don't think buying ANOTHER player for AM will ease that problem, unless we're just planning to line everyone up down the middle.

Thiago makes much more sense, plays central midfield and could partner Carrick comfortably. And he's very cheap, unlike Cesc.

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas can play in a two man midfield no problem, Barca just never use him there. I still think his best position is where Xavi plays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Fabregas can play in a two man midfield no problem, Barca just never use him there. I still think his best position is where Xavi plays.
    Fabregas has been playing that more attacking role from midfield for years though, going all the way back to his later seasons at Arsenal. He's gotten even further up the pitch over the last few years as well, playing as a false nine often. I don't doubt he could still play further back, but when you weigh that up against Thiago, who seems more suited to that position (and is very good there), I think I'd take the latter. Not to mention the price difference!

ReputationRep:
    We need to buy Mids for the sale of numbers too so let's bloody hope these rumours are true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Fabregas plays in the same position as Rooney and Kagawa, and I don't think buying ANOTHER player for AM will ease that problem, unless we're just planning to line everyone up down the middle.

Thiago makes much more sense, plays central midfield and could partner Carrick comfortably. And he's very cheap, unlike Cesc.
    Wrong Cesc plays in the middle of the park as a CM not a CAM, Barcelona play him out of his favoured position.. But I do know what you mean.. He is attacking minded. Fabregas is a better signing that thiago because fabregas is proven world talent that has huge amounts PL experience unlike thiago it's too much of a risk..and not just PL experience the boy has done a lot for his age.. We could easily afford febregas and only 26.. With him and fellaini we would have a beast of a midfield.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Fabregas has been playing that more attacking role from midfield for years though, going all the way back to his later seasons at Arsenal. He's gotten even further up the pitch over the last few years as well, playing as a false nine often. I don't doubt he could still play further back, but when you weigh that up against Thiago, who seems more suited to that position (and is very good there), I think I'd take the latter. Not to mention the price difference!
    I don't think a Fabregas deal would be possible, with all these complications in his contract. Could see a situation where we signed Thiago on a 4 year contract for £15 million. And him returning to Barcelona after three years for £25 million

I'd take that.

ReputationRep:
    Re: Fabregas, Part of the deal that took him to barca was that arsenal have a buy back clause of what Barca paid for him (£30m) and we have first refusal. If Barca decided to sell Fabregas they would have to offer him to Arsenal first for £30m, the agreed buy back price. If arsenal refused the opportunity to meet that price then other clubs can bid for him according to barca's valuation. The whole reason these clauses were put in is so Fabregas could return to arsenal with ease if it didn't work out at barca.

I highly doubt he would go to Man U, he already stated that he'll only ever play for Arsenal or Barca. I doubt Barca would sell this summer maybe next summer or Jan 2015 depending on what his performances are like but if the barca decided to sell this summer Arsenal would buy him back straight away.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.