Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Valid point but Everton were usually fighting relegation in that era, aside from Moyes' first full season (Rooney's breakthrough) when they came like 6th. Slightly bigger jump than moving from Arsenal, who even though they haven't won anything for years are still competing at the highest level.
    Yeah I hear that but remember his t-shirt? "Once a blue, always a blue", this was a born and bred scouse Evertonian and even he left, for the Mancs of all people. Despite this he's actually still an Everton fan now (I know Evertonians will probably say he isn't but he is.) At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what a player says, they can and will put their career over loyalties, which is completely fair and rational.

ReputationRep:
    to be fair to Rooney going from Everton to United is far less controversial than going from Liverpool to United (or vice versa), certainly in my experience their is much less animosity between United and Everton than United and Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    He's also a professional footballer. Football is a job to him.

If Cesc doesn't join Man. United, it won't be because of his Arsenal history.
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Yeah it would
    I don't know why football fans do it to themselves.

Just automatically assume they're all pricks and you don't get let down, that's what I've been doing since Yorke left. Don't delude yourself that into think they're loyal. You'll be disappointed.
    Lol, you're talking out of your ass mate. Some players are loyal and won't join rivals. Are you suggesting Ronaldo would join City, Giggs would join Arsenal, Terry will join Fulham?:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    to be fair to Rooney going from Everton to United is far less controversial than going from Liverpool to United (or vice versa), certainly in my experience their is much less animosity between United and Everton than United and Liverpool.
    It's still a Scouser joining the Mancs.

(Original post by cheetahs56)
    Lol, you're talking out of your ass mate. Some players are loyal and won't join rivals. Are you suggesting Ronaldo would join City, Giggs would join Arsenal, Terry will join Fulham?:rolleyes:
    Giggs had an affair, with his brother's wife. Just think about that for a minute.

The only examples I can think of of a player genuinely being loyal, are Le Tissier and Shearer snubbing Man. United to join Newcastle.

ReputationRep:

Giggs had an affair, with his brother's wife. Just think about that for a minute.

The only examples I can think of of a player genuinely being loyal, are Le Tissier and Shearer snubbing Man. United to join Newcastle.
    I'm not even gonna bother:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Barca have said Fabregas is not for sale and he doesn't want to leave. (SSN)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Barca have said Fabregas is not for sale and he doesn't want to leave. (SSN)
    He was never likely anyway. On the other hand, Thiago :dice:

ReputationRep:
    With Shearer I'm sure it helped that they finished runners up in the league the previous season (having been title favourites for most of it) and were building an exciting attacking team. It might well have been different if they'd just been through a relegation battle, as Le Tissier often experienced.

I don't think Shearer can be used as an example of loyalty in this sense as he was joining the club he supported as a boy. Very different to Fabregas or Ronaldo who'd both be leaving the clubs they supported.

How do you know what a footballer may or may not to in order to advance their career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    How do you know what a footballer may or may not to in order to advance their career?
    Honestly? I don't know them so I cannot say. However, judging by their personalities they seem like loyal, down-to-earth guys, e.g. Ronaldo donated nearly £3 million to Palestine which is why I love him so much. Not everyone is influenced by their back pocket....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Hargreaves done the same to us, he ****ed off to City with no respect to United after we held by his injuries.
    Hargreaves is a minor dude. He was completely injury strewn by the time we let him go on a free and he then moved to City. He was absolutely influential in the 07.08 campaign and had it not been for his injuries, could have continued that form further but he was crocked for a while before he joined us with the broken leg. Shame his comments attacking our medical department surfaced as again, we tried the best we could but the damage was done with him returning too quickly from the broken leg he suffered.

ReputationRep:
    Would you take £15m from Galatasary for Nani?

Personally still feel i'd much rather keep him than Valencia or Young, for multiple reasons. But i guess if he is going to go anyway and based on his contract status it isn't the worst price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)

Personally still feel i'd much rather keep him than Valencia or Young, for multiple reasons. But i guess if he is going to go anyway and based on his contract status it isn't the worst price.
    A bit cheap when he's been more dynamic than either of our other wingers. Really hoping Zaha can make an impact,,, which itself may be rather wishful. I'd sooner lose young, but if it meant he was replaced by someone exciting then yeah.

ReputationRep:

Think he'll stay for time being, Moyes may want to use him more than SAF did. If he gets a run of games i'll confident he'll find form. Was it 11/12 where he was quality, or 10/11? Either way he was really really good that year.

ReputationRep:
    Think he'll stay for time being, Moyes may want to use him more than SAF did. If he gets a run of games i'll confident he'll find form. Was it 11/12 where he was quality, or 10/11? Either way he was really really good that year.
    Wasn't bad last year when he had a better return than Valencia either.

ReputationRep:
    Young and Valencia should go before Nani, one of the most under appreciated players by the fans, he won us the league one season, and then was dropped to the bench (due to Young) or either injured the next, he needs a run of games to tap into his talent, but Fergie never played Nani this season against the worser sides to gain form, but always played him against Chelsea, Arsenal, City and even Madrid. If Nani can find his form of 2010/11 then our attack reaches a new level as Nani on top form is much more lethal than either Valencia/Young, plus post Ronaldo he has scored our best goals. Apparently Wenger wants him, now that would be a big mistake letting Wenger get his hands on a unfulfilled yet huge talent like Nani.

ReputationRep:
    Personally see nani going to a money club if he were to leave united personally.

ReputationRep:
    How hopeful are people on Zaha?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy for Nani to go I think. We've seen what he can do, but we're only blessed with that sight every one in four games, and maybe that's even a bit too optimistic. To be fair to him, he's been in and out of the team, but he can be so frustrating at times. I'm not sure really, we'd need to replace him and it'd depend who we're doing that with, though maybe that's what Zaha is for. But that leaves us with only three wingers, unless you count Welbeck or someone comes through the youth team. I wouldn't have any suggestions for who to buy anyway, so perhaps we should just stick with him for now.

ReputationRep:
    Nani hasn't had the greatest form but then he hasn't really been given a decent run in the team. I'd probably be alright with him going if Valencia hadn't lost the ability to get past 1 man or hit a cross over the first defender and Young hadn't gone MIA. Nani on form is unplayable and i'd rather give him a good run to see if he can recapture it, I remember the 2-2 FA Cup draw with Chelsea, Nani got subbed for Valencia when we were 2-0 up and we looked toothless after that.

ReputationRep:

Is that £15m bid from Galatasaray well sourced?

But no, I'd expect a little bit more for Nani tbh. £15m would suffice based on his form last season where he was in and out but considering he had an outstanding season few years ago, would want more tbh. They seem to be really funding some big transfers - Drogba, Sneidjer.

I'd keep Nani for another year, maybe a new change of management might help him and I'd take him over Valencia/Young who I feel have also got another season to prove themselves. The latter is the most vulnerable for me, if he doesn't do well this year, I can envisage him leaving.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.