The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
I was excited :colonhash:

Haha, knew he was lying cos skysports hadn't said anything, clubs hadn't said anything plus would of the other lads would have also commented:cool:
Betting on Strootman to utd has been suspended...looks like it will be our first signing
Original post by ledleyking123
Betting on Strootman to utd has been suspended...looks like it will be our first signing

One positive out of this is that we probably won't have to sign Fellaini for £25 million or something similar.

Another midfielder would be nice though :coma:
I won't believe we've signed a midfielder, until he's next to Moyes, holding up the shirt, posing for the camera.

Actually, that happened with Mikel. Might have to disregard.
Fellani and Strootman would be brilliant
Reply 4765
I personally don't want Fellaini but yeah w/e

I personally think we should have bought Dembele when he was at Fulham
Don't really want Fellanini either. Strootman and Thiago would make our midfield very tasty :coma:
I like the look of Strootman, could fill Fletchers void somewhat.

I haven't really looked into the Thiago rumours, but it's a decent move for him. PL gets watched a lot in Spain, player move between the two leagues. A move to United would keep the Spain national side open to him and perhaps a move back to Barca.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doggyfizzel
I like the look of Strootman, could fill Fletchers void somewhat.

I haven't really looked into the Thiago rumours, but it's a decent move for him. PL gets watched a lot in Spain, player move between the two leagues. A move to United would keep the Spain national side open to him and perhaps a move back to Barca.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I watch a lot of Eredivisie football and can say that Strootman is an excellent player but he's identical to Carrick, no way could they play together effectively and Carrick must have at least 2 years left in him at Utd. Stranger than the Lewandowski/RVP partnership that was doing the rounds on here recently. Moyes must have a thing for combining identical players. :colondollar:
Original post by Zürich
I watch a lot of Eredivisie football and can say that Strootman is an excellent player but he's identical to Carrick, no way could they play together effectively and Carrick must have at least 2 years left in him at Utd. Stranger than the Lewandowski/RVP partnership that was doing the rounds on here recently. Moyes must have a thing for combining identical players. :colondollar:
Really? I haven't seen a lot of him other than highlights, but I don't think he's identical to Carrick. He runs with the ball, which Carrick doesn't, he quite aggressive, he shoots, he scores (6 goals this season, more than Carrick has ever scored for us even when he played further forward.) I would have described him as more of a box to box player, which Carrick hasn't been, well ever but certainly not since 08/07? time.

I certainly think the partnership would work, from what we have seen the only time Carrick doesn't work in a partnership is if he's played alongside someone with no legs. Carrick's main problem is he's not that mobile in the way he plays, so long as he's got someone mobile next to him he's usually fine. That was the problem last season Carrick/Giggs getting found out by Tiote/Cabye and then Carrick/Scholes getting found out by pretty much anyone willing to press.

If he does move, that is basically the end of Cleverly as a United player. I'm really annoyed with the way he has progressed since breaking the first team. He's attempted to take on the Scholes mantle of passer in chief but just isn't good enough, and in doing so has lost a lot of what got him in the team in the first place.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Really? I haven't seen a lot of him other than highlights, but I don't think he's identical to Carrick. He runs with the ball, which Carrick doesn't, he quite aggressive, he shoots, he scores (6 goals this season, more than Carrick has ever scored for us even when he played further forward.) I would have described him as more of a box to box player, which Carrick hasn't been, well ever but certainly not since 08/07? time.

He's been playing with Van Bommel this season at PSV so has been obliged to play further up the pitch as MVB cant/wont do anything but defend, but its not/wasnt Stootman's natural role. He likes to sit in front of the back 4 and do the same kind of subtle defensive work that Carrick does before spraying it about.

Strootman can play as a box to box player of course so maybe that's where Utd envisage him playing, but Strootman has played the Carrick role for most of his career.

Cleverley is what he is. Certainly not Utd standard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cleverleys style is what makes him fit in so well for United and likewise for England. It's obvious England missed his high tempo pass and move style no matter how much people like to take the piss out of him for not being Uniteds second choice quality, which he isn't. England has played their best lately when both Wilshere and him or just him have been in the team because they provide something the lumbering likes of Lampard and such don't. He isn't of the right quality to start for us, but his style is the main reason he has done as well as he has for both clubs.

Strootmans a more mobile, more offensive, less accurate version of Carrick. Not exactly the same type, but he's similar enough that it could cause a 'clash'. Young enough to adjust to a more box-to-box role though which from what i've seen he could be capable of.. Likewise, he's an improvement on Cleverley and an improvement on Andersons average game, so it would be a solid improvement more than a great one.

Cleverley would just go back to being our 3rd choice. Bar another singing and/or Anderson being at the level the lazy **** should be at.

Gentlemans agreemnt for Garay popping up again. Rumours of this guy just won't go away. Better CB than Evans imo but it's silly when we have Rio, Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Jones and M.Keane who deserves a shot or two. Our defense hasn't been that good so i can see the reasoning in a way but it's just going to push Jones into other roles and with Rafael making the RB his own completely and new CM's, Jones is going to be even more limited.
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anymore firm news broken on strootman
Has anymore firm news broken on strootman

Image of him on a plane apparently heading to Manchester

Spoiler

Original post by Tommyjw
Image of him on a plane apparently heading to Manchester

Spoiler

At that size, he should definitely be in the box to attack and defend set-pieces!! :awesome:
Original post by SirMasterKey
At that size, he should definitely be in the box to attack and defend set-pieces!! :awesome:

Shove him in goal and play David in midfield for some real Spanish flair next to Carrick

That doesn't mean anything, wasn't Frank Ribery odds on to join Liverpool a few years ago?

When a creditable source starts talking about it, i'll believe it.
Reply 4777
I've yet to see any reliable source with regards to Strootman. The transfer mills have been quiet over the last few days.
Navas off to city
Manchester Airport ‏@manairport 2h
Our official stance on all these Kevin Strootman rumours? Sceptical...

Legends.

Latest