Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread X Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how Moyes' will do next season with competition like mourinho and pellegrini

I won't be disappointed if we don't win title next season but at least top 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    I wonder how Moyes' will do next season with competition like mourinho and pellegrini

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pellegrini and City is a road way to hell for City. They probably will invest a good 80 odd million though and probably on the wrong players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Pellegrini and City is a road way to hell for City. They probably will invest a good 80 odd million though and probably on the wrong players.
    That's absolute nonsense. Have you never watched a pellegrini team before? He did wonders with villareal and did well with malaga too but the investors decided to back out of the operation as they thought they weren't going to get to madrid/barca. At villareal he got more results vs barca than they did against him in fact and he clearly knows his tactics by almost getting to a CL semi final this year with malaga and getting to the CL semi with villareal.

They needed a direct winger with pace, so they bought navas, clearly a needed signing that they've bought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's going to be the challenge for Moyes. Mourinho is clear favourite to win the league for Chelsea; purely because he's done it in the past and knows what is required and also, he is coming off a bad personal experience at Madrid where he didn't accomplish the goal he was brought in for, i.e. winning the CL.

Won't disagree with Jam's assessment of Pellegrini, pretty much spot on.

It's one of those things to think about, on the one hand, Moyes, working with a quality talent pool added with his managerial nous might end up doing well or the complete opposite (hope not!) or in between, we just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, Meulensteen leaving rumours are rejected by the man himself, says he has a contract and will report back to the club on July 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    I do love this opinion, I'm seeing it thrown around a fair bit and its simply not going to be the case. He's the perfect fit for the way the board are trying to run the club. Also, your idea of 'wrong players' being bought is incredibly wrong - we bought Navas, the exact sort of player that was needed, and he also fits into Pellegrini's system. City will go up a level next season, so will Chelsea with Mourinho - United will still be in contention, however, even with big signings, not having Fergie directly there will have a large impact - I can't see United getting 'better' in the same way as Chelsea and City will, due to such a significant change with the departure of SAF. Moyes is a brilliant manager, I just think it'll take him longer to build something.

ReputationRep:
    Transfer noise too quiet we need to
    Buy asap

ReputationRep:
    Pellegrini is probably one of Europe's most underrated managers, I guess a lot to do with his perceived failure at Madrid meaning people consider him not to have top level experience. Certainly an improvement from Mancini, who now all bad press about his handling of things behind the scenes showed how he was never going to be a long term solution.

I'm not too worried about Chelsea and City, I would imagine they will have strong seasons, but its long term I really care about. 5 seasons from now I doubt either of those managers will still be in their jobs whereas I'm hoping Moyes will be, and how he handles this season will be important in whether that happens. I hope he makes some astute signings rather than big name ones, or worse Everton ones. Not specifically but perhaps of the category of Strootman, not big money but capable, good investment which will strengthen the team. How the team evolves from an SAF team into the team capable of playing Moyes' way will be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Reports from holland that Strootman has signed five year deAl. Finally we sign a central mid!!

ReputationRep:
    Are these ronaldo rumours true...that he wont sign a new contract?... Real would no way let him leave for free...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Are these ronaldo rumours true...that he wont sign a new contract?... Real would no way let him leave for free...
    He'll sign

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why anybody would be waiting for transfer news right now. The Glazer's policy at United has always been to leave the majority of decisions regarding transfers to the club manager, who works with the chief executive officer to decide who to buy. Both these positions are going to be filled by new people next month which makes it very hard to push any business through at the moment. David Moyes and Ed Woodward will be discussing targets but I very much doubt anything of any consequence will happen until after July 1st.

Not only are Alex and David Gill gone but Martin Ferguson has also retired, which may impact the summers transfers. His main role was scouting the European leagues for players and reporting to the club staff recommending players to sign. Some of these players we're rumoured to be interested in are those that he monitored and now he's not at the club anymore to push Moyes and Woodward to sign those players.

With the head scout responsible for finding players for the club, the CEO responsible for signing them to the club and the manager and assistant manager responsible for the players future once they sign all on their way out it makes it a very uncertain time for any potential player thinking of coming here. A chance to work with Alex Ferguson and in a successful setup was a selling point for some players, most recently Robin. It's harder to attract top names when your in a time of uncertainty with an unproven manager at the top level. It also makes it very hard to do any business with all the key staff involved in that business changing, especially when there's still potentially more changes to the backroom staff to come.

That's my take on the summer transfer nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign anybody this summer, but if we do I'm expecting one or possibly two additions late on in the window once Moyes and his team have had some time to steady the ship, get a firm idea of what he has to work with and assessed what's out there on the market.

Have a good day folks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Anyone else thing Strootman has a resemblance to Van Persie?

Attachment 223099
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Henriquez scored a hat trick of headers for Chile U21s 7-0 win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Henriquez scored a hat trick of headers for Chile U21s 7-0 win

Good second goal, he's been quoted he would be happy to play in the championship with Wigan if given first team action regularly. Great to see he has that attitude, if Chile qualifies for the world cup, do you reckon he'll be taken along?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    Nope
    Each to their own I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    StrootmAn rumours even more today

ReputationRep:
    Nike likes buttons

ReputationRep:
    Nani off
    To
    Gala tasty for 12million

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    That's a good kit tbh. Not amazing but not as bad as your away kit 2 seasons ago with the purple and black. :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.