The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What made us win the league by according to others, "not a great United team", was the experience of getting us over the line. That's what we'll miss from SAF. Alan Hansen, whose views most of the times are OK, said he couldn't see United winning the title they had recently without SAF and he's right. That experience will be irreplaceable. However, again, once Moyes wins his first one and the experience of Giggs, Rio, Vidic will guide him along. In the crunch times of the title race, for the first season, it'll probably be the players guiding the team forward rather than the manager as because Moyes hasn't been involved in title races, it'll be abit difficult for him to give team talks on how he's done it, when he hasn't yet. That'll be a challenge for him how he adapts and overcomes that, again, probably using the experienced pros to get them over the line. But you hope once he wins it, then it'll give him that confidence and get the monkey off his back about no trophies.

Even the Community Shield is a positive start for him, if we win. Certainly will help.
Reply 5061
Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it yet, I just wanted to let you all know about the Draft Game that's happening in the Football Forum: basically, we're into the third iteration of a game where sixteen participants have chosen players based on certain frameworks to build teams and compete against each other. Here's the general thread for the current game - you can view the rules in the OP. Basically, the 'matches' themselves are voting affairs, so that's where you can participate at this stage - here's the match being currently played (we're into the last game of the quarter finals now), so if you're interested check it out and cast your vote!

We'll also likely be starting another iteration of the game in the coming days so that the inhabitants of the Football Forum can keep themselves occupied in the off season! :p: So keep an eye out in the sub-forum for that!
He's at least starting with groups of players and staff who have been there and done it. At least for a couple of seasons even De Gea and Cleverly have come close and missed out, and have been there and done it, let alone the likes of Ferdinand, Evra, Rooney who are seasoned vets of Premier League campaigns. Even if that experience and dressing room atmosphere fades, I can't see it simply disappearing. In the same way Chelsea's team still showed many of the traits of Jose's reign long after he had left, I don't think the imprint of a manager fades overnight. I don't think he needs to make the current set of players want to win, or take it seriously, or believe they can do it. He just needs to maintain what Ferguson has instilled. United clearly had a gap over the competition this season, and even if Moyes only maintains that standard or near maintains the still got a march on City or Chelsea doing the same.
Reply 5063
United and Monaco preparing bids for Ronaldo http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1475698/ronaldo-doubt-monaco-united-circle?cc=5739

Don't think ESPN are generally reliable though?

Also, Terry Gibson (SSN La Liga) reporter has said it's very possible he could be heading back to United and that he's surprised Ronaldo's contract has been allowed to run down to 2 years.

Both these sources are weak in terms of reliability though.

A slightly more reliable twitter source (indykaila) had this to say: "I spoke to a friend who is a reporter in London about his take on the Ronaldo situation. According to him, an English club has already made an official bid for Cristiano Ronaldo but the bid was rejected. He believe that the bid came from Manchester. He didn’t confirm which team but if he was a betting man then he would place his bet on Manchester United. The story wasn’t printed due to lack of information about the bidding club."
(edited 10 years ago)
Would utd really spend 75million?
Reply 5065
Original post by ledleyking123

I reckon United can must up a transfer fee around that region but I doubt they would be able to sustain the wages of both Ronaldo & Rooney. I don't know the details of our current financial position, may someone else can shed some light.

I think it depends on how much revenue they actually can gain from Ronaldo's merc. Plus on pitch success. It would be more than £75 million considering wages. Deadwood would be out, like Nani and Anderson (which is disappointing but they just didn't make it). But you're talking best (okay, 2nd) player in the world here
The fact hes 28 makes me think we may not go for him, he's going
To have another 3 years at the top I would say pace will go after that
As I said I'd imagine Monaco like PSG will bid for anyone who might be available.

I'd imagine the bid would be pretty difficult, it would really be a eye watering window even for a club of United's muscle, but I don't think we'd be coughing up the money in one go. I'd think the wages would be possible, considering what other clubs manage, and the new deals such as the replacement of the DHL and the Chevy money coming in. I think it would be affordable, but its a question of if the deal is really on, and if United are actually interested at the prices quoted, I think you would be requiring some strong CL campaigns to justify the money. I still think it might just be Ronaldo angling at a new deal, although if he does want to win Madrid isn't really looking like the best club, at least United could offer a PL title.

Also can we please not transfer the term "deadwood" from the Arsenal soc, its just cringeworthy. Every team has squad players, its just a fact of football.
Reply 5069
Of course all of this is pure speculation but it's the most exciting thing that's come out so far this summer lol. I think the fact that it's come directly from Ronald himself is causing a bit of a stir.

The latest development is from an FA registered sports lawyer claiming:
Gregory Ioannidis ‏@LawTop20 23m
This is confirmed. Ronaldo is very close to agreeing a deal with Man Utd. Again.

I cannot comment on his it's credibility though.

:iiam:
What would a sports lawyer know
Though
Reply 5071
I'm praying this is all true, i'd love nothing more than Ronaldo back at the club.
Reply 5072
Is Ronaldo worth over 60 mil, he's 28 and has 2 yrs left on his contract, Bayern proved it this season that having a overall good team is better than having the best players in the world, for 75 mil you could buy 3 quality young players.

We are strong enough to win the league because this is still fergie's team, the current team is one midfielder away to being amazing, fergie's loss will be felt when this team dies out and we'll be in transition mode and turning into a new team, fergie guaranteed success during the transitional period and ensured the new team was successful. Mourinho/Pep/Wenger/Klopp have built amazing sides but haven't stayed or achieved success during a clubs transitional period, so its not like they could've replaced fergie. Moyes will have to prove himself then, as you look at Arsenal they never won anything during their transitional period, their best players left, and became a team from celebrating titles at the end of the season to celebrating gaining 4th spot.
The fact that he's come out with that tweet to publicly contradict Perez says a lot about the truth of the matter in regards to his contract negotiations with Madrid. He didn't say an agreement had been reached so it could mean discussions are on-going with Madrid and other clubs. I would absolutely LOVE to see him back but not getting carried away as I feel eventually, Madrid will stump up the cash he wants to get him to stay.

I can't see him going to Monaco like Sid Lowe said in that video that Akkuz gave, that Falcao's move was more so engineered by third party control which Ronaldo obviously doesn't have. PSG might be the only other threat but they've already Ibrahimovic and I wonder whether he'd take too kindly to another star rolling in or incase they are feeling he'll leave back to Italy after as expected, Ancelotti moves to Real.
We are just going round in circles of thiago, fabregas and ronaldo lol. We probs won't sign any of them
We are just going round in circles of thiago, fabregas and ronaldo lol. We probs won't sign any of them

Yes. For starters, Fabregas recently denied anything linking him to Premier League clubs and insisted that he is happy at Barcelona.
Reply 5076
Original post by Akkuz
Of course all of this is pure speculation but it's the most exciting thing that's come out so far this summer lol. I think the fact that it's come directly from Ronald himself is causing a bit of a stir.

The latest development is from an FA registered sports lawyer claiming:
Gregory Ioannidis ‏@LawTop20 23m
This is confirmed. Ronaldo is very close to agreeing a deal with Man Utd. Again.

I cannot comment on his it's credibility though.

:iiam:

I don't understand. If this rumour was in fact true then why on earth would the people involved then proceed to go and tell some nobody sports lawyer about it? How would he know about this if it were true?
Reply 5077
Original post by qasidb
I don't understand. If this rumour was in fact true then why on earth would the people involved then proceed to go and tell some nobody sports lawyer about it? How would he know about this if it were true?

I don't know the reliability of the source.

Ronaldo's tweet usually get 2k retweets on average but his contract one got 53,000 haha.
the way I see it Ronaldo will leave one of two ways;

1) Madrid force him to see out his contract but let him talk to other clubs about moving on a free in 2015 when it ends.

2) Madrid cash in on him now to sell him to a club for around £50-75m, if they wait a year he has only 1 year left on his contract so they won't get anything like as much.

as for where he goes, I would say it's either one of the French money clubs (PSG/Monaco) or if he comes back to England I can't see him going to anyone else other than United tbh.
Reply 5079
Original post by SciFiRory
the way I see it Ronaldo will leave one of two ways;

1) Madrid force him to see out his contract but let him talk to other clubs about moving on a free in 2015 when it ends.

2) Madrid cash in on him now to sell him to a club for around £50-75m, if they wait a year he has only 1 year left on his contract so they won't get anything like as much.

as for where he goes, I would say it's either one of the French money clubs (PSG/Monaco) or if he comes back to England I can't see him going to anyone else other than United tbh.

£50-75m for a Ronaldo at his peak is an absolute bargain. I think it would be higher.

Latest