Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brainiac)
    He retired so he isn't included in the list. Bale hasn't had a lot of exposure to foreign markets while he has been at spurs, if he joins united he will get that exposure.
    He hadn't at the time the article was written.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo became marketable because he grew into one of the best players in the world, he won the champions league and a bunch of individual awards. If bale goes on to become one of the best players in the world and helps us win the champions league, then he will become just as marketable. Just because he isnt as marketable now, doesnt mean he never will be, i think he has the potential to be as good (and as marketable) as Ronaldo, if you dont then that is where we disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo became marketable because he grew into one of the best players in the world, he won the champions league and a bunch of individual awards. If bale goes on to become one of the best players in the world and helps us win the champions league, then he will become just as marketable. Just because he isnt as marketable now, doesnt mean he never will be, i think he has the potential to be as good (and as marketable) as Ronaldo, if you dont then that is where we disagree.
    So Bale might become as marketable as Ronaldo if he becomes as good a player as him. Bale will be 24 next month, Ronaldo was 24 at the time we sold him to Madrid and had achieved a hell of a lot more, over a longer period of time.

ReputationRep:
    Bale nowhere near ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    Bale is the best in the PL though. Although not on Ronaldo's level, that I feel is due to consistency and not talent, on his day he is as good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Bale is the best in the PL though. Although not on Ronaldo's level, that I feel is due to consistency and not talent, on his day he is as good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No he isn't lol, just because you win a "PFA player of the year" doesn't make you the best in the prem, Ryan Giggs won that few seasons ago when Ronaldo was probably above him, not to mention players like Lampard, Drogba, Terry, Gerrard etc in their prime.

Aguero on form is better than Bale ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    No he isn't lol, just because you win a "PFA player of the year" doesn't make you the best in the prem, Ryan Giggs won that few seasons ago when Ronaldo was probably above him, not to mention players like Lampard, Drogba, Terry, Gerrard etc in their prime.

Aguero on form is better than Bale ffs
    Are you serious? He clearly is the best, don't be daft. Aguero is not better than IF Bale, what are you talking about lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Are you serious? He clearly is the best, don't be daft. Aguero is not better than IF Bale, what are you talking about lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think he was saying if both players were on form then Aguero is better ? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So the apparent £60m budget noted in the Mark Ogden article is quite interesting.

In:
    £75m for Ronaldo
    £17m for Thiago
    £13m for Strootman

Out:
    £30m for Rooney (likely more)
    £10m for Nani
    £5m for Anderson

Net spend = £60m

Give or take a few youth player buys and sells, and Zaha doesnt count according to Ogden

Perfect. Can't see it happening any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Think he was saying if both players were on form then Aguero is better ? :dontknow:
    Yeah this is what I meant...

Aguero was injured a lot last season, and you can't look past the season he had before that.

Not that you can compare the two, separate positions, my main point is, I disagree that Bale is best in prem. He just stood out because he had to carry Spurs at times IMO.

(Original post by Tommyjw)
    So the apparent £60m budget noted in the Mark Ogden article is quite interesting.

In:
    £75m for Ronaldo
    £17m for Thiago
    £13m for Strootman

Out:
    £30m for Rooney (likely more)
    £10m for Nani
    £5m for Anderson

Net spend = £60m

Give or take a few youth player buys and sells, and Zaha doesnt count according to Ogden

Perfect. Can't see it happening any other way.
    Which of these transfers do you actually see happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Which of these transfers do you actually see happening?
    All of them?

Its not like i'm just bashing out random stars here. We have proven links to all three.

ReputationRep:
    Looking back at Ronaldos stats, i was suprised that he scored less in his last season than he did in is penultimate, can anyone remember why this was?

In 2007-2008 he scored 42 goals in 49 appearances
    in 2008-2009 he scored 26 goals in 53 appearances

Rooney scored the same amount of goals in both seasons but berbatov joined for the 2008-2009 season and scored 14 goals, maybe thats why.

also just to note, bale scored 26 goals in 44 appearances this season. So statistically he was as good as Ronaldo was in 2008-2009 in a team where he had less chances created for him.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo for £75m. Yeah right.............

ReputationRep:
    Might aswell throw in £40m for Fabregas while your at it. Silly season has well and truly begun. United will get a midfielder and that's it. Rooney will stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    So Bale might become as marketable as Ronaldo if he becomes as good a player as him. Bale will be 24 next month, Ronaldo was 24 at the time we sold him to Madrid and had achieved a hell of a lot more, over a longer period of time.
    Drogba had achieved almost nothing at the age 24 before moving to Chelsea, and look at how he turned out. Players develop at different rates, Bale has every chance of going on to be one of the best players in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I think Bale is certainly a top but he's not the best player in the PL, let alone on a European stage. Bale is a good player who just had a great season. Bale could be a good buy, but I don't think he has anywhere near the ability to reach the level of Ronaldo, imposing himself on any team at any level. If they two were the same price, I'd take Ronaldo regardless of his age. As most people have said, Ronaldo will still be a heavy weight when he's 33. Even if he loses pace, he's not the kind of player who is going to struggle fitness wise at that age, and with the shooting and heading ability he has, he's going to be a massive threat regardless of if he loses a step.

Ronaldo rumours are good fun to entertain. Really not much in it, other than the contract spat, that doesn't come up every year, but I guess there is a feeling he could be moving somewhere this summer more than any other year, and we certainly would be the biggest option outside France. I guess I still think Moyes will go one of two ways, either tight as a ducks arse in his first season or spending big. With a club like United, spending big would seemingly be a smarter option. If he doesn't spend and the results don't come the media vultures will be circling by Sept.

I'm wondering what is going on behind the scenes. I simply refuse to believe nothing is going on until Moyes official appointment date, with Everton having a manager waiting in the wings, it benefits no one, least of all Everton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Ronaldo for £75m. Yeah right.............
    Yeah, right. Thats the very logical price range for 28 year old Ronaldo that everyone agrees on. I assume you are naive enough to think it will be like £100m? Not a single logical or reliable pundit, reported, journalist etc thinks Ronaldo would cost much more than £80m, most think lower.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Might aswell throw in £40m for Fabregas while your at it. Silly season has well and truly begun. United will get a midfielder and that's it. Rooney will stay.
    I like how 'silly season' is including players we have multiple proven links too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    United will get a midfielder and that's it. Rooney will stay.
    Ronaldo aside, we will be signing at least one midfielder as Scholes and Anderson are leaving and we were already light. We will most likely be signing a winger as well as all of ours are **** and Nani is off.

I do think that we will spend big this summer to appease the fans that weren't too happy about Moyes appointment, and its not like we can't afford it with all our sponsorships and the new tv deal.

It's a little silly to assert that we will just sign a midfielder with such confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Drogba had achieved almost nothing at the age 24 before moving to Chelsea, and look at how he turned out. Players develop at different rates, Bale has every chance of going on to be one of the best players in the world.
    He does. But the chance that he'll develop to be a player in the same calibre as Ronaldo is very small less 1%. And Drogba didn't develop to be the best player in the world. Even at his peak, he wasn't the best striker.

I can't believe some Man U fans are failing to realise how brilliant a player Ronaldo. Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Yeah, right. Thats the very logical price range for Ronaldo that everyone agrees on. I assume you are naive enough to think it will be like £100m?
    Well let's see, an inferior Ronaldo was sold for £80m 4 years ago. Fast forward to now, Ronaldo is now 10x better than he was then. Not to mention the bottomless pit of PSG and Monaco have to spend on him.

Yes, logic says he'll go for £75m :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.