Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Assuming the Thiago deal goes through ...

------------------De Gea----------------
    ---Rafael----Evans----Vidic----Evra---
    ------------------Carrick----------------
    ------------Thiago-----Kagawa---------
    ------------------Rooney---------------
    ----------Hernández----Van Persie-----

That's a pretty unstoppable team.
    That team is strong but I think the 4-1-2-1-2 formation is a bit too narrow. Still its the best formation on fifa - for me at least lol . If we can get that formation right we will be invincible. I hope we get Thiago soon before another clubs grabs hims.

ReputationRep:
    Isco confirmed for Madrid, glad he's staying away from the council house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Isco confirmed for Madrid, glad he's staying away from the council house.
    City might try to swoop in for Thiago now. Although the issue of guaranteed playing time is where United trump the rest.

It's a convenient position to take I'll admit, but of the crop of Spanish U21 stars, Thiago is the star in the making.

Isco looks class no doubt. But Thiago's short passing, vision, judgement and technical ability are superb already for a 22 year old. As an all round midfielder, he could be special. I'm not a scouting expert, obviously, but I remember seeing him score against United, in a game where he was the best player. Against Bayern too during 2011/12. He played a big game domestically last season against Malaga and was superb. As well as a dozen odd performances in la liga where in the majority of games he contributed with goals, key passes or through balls.

United fans are accustomed to hearing a dozen top class footballers linked with their team every summer. We're usually left disappointed when it comes to midfield. For me, Thiago is the most promising young central midfielder in the world right now, and certainly the best player United have been so strongly linked with in years. I'll be genuinely disappointed if all the speculation turns out to be drivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    For me, Thiago is the most promising young central midfielder in the world right now, and certainly the best player United have been so strongly linked with in years. I'll be genuinely disappointed if all the speculation turns out to be drivel.
    Best, young, signing since the years of Ronaldo + Rooney imo.

Would need someone better suited to an actual DM role i think . Carricks defensive nous comes from intercepting passes and positioning, such a narrow formation would require the fullbacks creating width and thus would require someone to help the centre backs with serious defensive duties, someone more physical and with more of a 'work rate. Jones would be a good example, as a type of player that would fit, not as the type of quality we would want there.

^ imo

ReputationRep:
    pizza on it's way, sat down to enjoy the season review dvd :u:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Best, young, signing since the years of Ronaldo + Rooney imo.

Would need someone better suited to an actual DM role i think . Carricks defensive nous comes from intercepting passes and positioning, such a narrow formation would require the fullbacks creating width and thus would require someone to help the centre backs with serious defensive duties, someone more physical and with more of a 'work rate. Jones would be a good example, as a type of player that would fit, not as the type of quality we would want there.

^ imo
    Can Strootman do that?

This is Moyes' problem. If you go with the above formation, Kagawa, Carrick and Thiago in midfield with Rooney, Chicha and RVP up front, the only real width will come when Raf and Evra attack. You're correct when you say that Carrick's qualities as a defensive midfielder are more about reading the game and controlling the pace as opposed to being a dynamic tough tackler or nuisance.

United have played for years with 4 across midfield (the exceptions being big PL or CL games where 4-3-3 was chosen by AF), so they're guaranteed width.

4-3-3 seems to be the best formation should Thiago join, but is that just because United's wingers aren't good enough to trouble Europes elite?

I like Valencia for his industry and athleticism, but he's not going to beat 2 or 3 players or provide a dozen assists or goals a season. You might ask who would do that? Just look at Bayern, Barca and Real. These are the teams we are competing with, and they've gone beyond United in terms of player quality imo.

Priority has got to be put on not only bringing great players to the club, but getting rid of the chaff.

Lets be honest lads, would Anderson be sitting on the bench for Barca, Real or Bayern? AF has over performed with this squad, our midfield wouldn't/shouldn't scare any elite team in Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The latest Thiago gif courtesy of redcafe

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it yet, I just wanted to let you all know about the Draft Game that's happening in the Football Forum: basically, we're into the third iteration of a game where sixteen participants have chosen players based on certain frameworks to build teams and compete against each other. Here's the general thread for the current game - you can view the rules in the OP. Basically, the 'matches' themselves are voting affairs, so that's where you can participate at this stage - here's the match being currently played and it's the final!! , so if you're interested check it out and cast your vote! It's the final so we would really like as many people to vote as possible!

ReputationRep:
    In other news, it never ceases to amaze me how one of the largest companies in all of sports, which is what we are now, can continually make a total pigs ear of its day to day administration. Our good friends over at Ticketing & Membership Services have managed to royally screw up the very first game of the season by allocating the two main price bands to the wrong people. Those who applied for tier 1 (£35) have ended up in tier 3 for the same price whilst the people who went for the cheaper (£25) tickets have been given the better seats in tier 1 for the lower price. So now the people in the worse seats are actually paying £10 more for their tickets ... there's a barrage of complaints coming their way already and the season doesn't start for another six weeks!

The phrase piss-up in a brewery springs to mind, United.
    I phoned the TO a few weeks ago before I applied about which seats each price band represents. They didn't have a clue then either so I just applied for the cheapest (£20).

If we got Thiago and Strootman...

Thiago - Carrick (Strootman)
    Valencia - Kagawa - Nani
    Van Persie

For the big games...

Strootman - Carrick
    Valencia (Nani) - Thiago - Kagawa
    Van Persie

The latest Thiago gif courtesy of redcafe

They're a sharp bunch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Just sacrifice Hernandez. I still don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a title chasing team. Doesn't have enough of an all round game, and it's like playing with 10 men at times. I hope he's rotated as well as Fergie did last season. Should get more game time if Rooney leaves but i can't see how he warrants a regular starting birth going into next season. He scores goals but then so does Darren Bent. Our strongest team, if Thiago joins, should still be Kagawa behind Van Persie i think. Kagawa and Welbeck showed they can be very effective out wide too so i don't think it will be too much of a problem.
    What? No! Keep Hernandez! Everyone likes Hernandez! Maybe he doesn't have enough of an all round game but that doesn't mean he's not good. He's certainly good enough for Man Utd. He's always scoring in important matches and if we ever need a goal we can just bring him on. He's staying put. Get rid of Welbeck. He's only rated so highly because he's English. He's actually just really average. "Sacrifice Hernandez" pfft!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming the Thiago deal goes through ...

That's a pretty unstoppable team.
    Yeah I'd go with this team. Maybe Jones instead of Evans though. I think some people underestimate how good Thiago is at winning the ball. He intercepted more balls than any other player in the European U21 Championships. He is great at anticipating the opposition.

I don't see us signing Thiago and Strootman, due to signing Kagawa the other year. It's one or the other, with Thiago being the much preferred option.

The more I talk about Thiago, the more I want him to come!

ReputationRep:
    £10m-£12m bid for Baines according to the Times (James Ducker)

ReputationRep:

£10m-£12m bid for Baines according to the Times (James Ducker)
    WIll be surprised if they let him go for that amount. Thought it would be around 15m.

ReputationRep:
    Do not want Baines, waste of money. Fantastic player, but at his age he's hardly the ideal Evra replacement. Evra is also vice captain and we need him in the dressing room, and had a good season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')

WIll be surprised if they let him go for that amount. Thought it would be around 15m.
    Yep i thought the same.

I wouldnt like Evra to go, he's a big part of the club and still at a good level, and is a great character. But if he was to go, how much do you think we could get for him? Say we could sell him and get Baines with only a £5-£8m outlay, thats not a bad deal for a LB 4 years younger, who knows the new manager and is one of the best in the league?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not massively fussed on Baines. I don't mind the idea of him joining United, just not if it diverts funds away from other potential signings.

Although if these rumours about a £60 million transfer pot are true then I suppose it's irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    I never said anything about selling him in my post. Sacrifice him from the above lineup was what i was inferring. Don't think he should be starting regularly. Better impact off the bench and when others need a rest.
    Yeah, I nearly fell for that too, saw the first line and thought "Heretic!!".

I dispair with this obsession with Baines, he's simply not good enough. He's barely better than Evra and he's a shadow of his former self. You only have to watch Baines for England to see he's not up to scratch. The fact Baines is capable of bombing down the wings against Wigan and Villa doesn't mean he's good enough for the next time we face Madrid. The fact he's the best left back in the league says more about standard of left backs in the PL than anything else. Even at his peak he's nowhere near the level of Cole or Evra during their peak years.

ReputationRep:
    Agree, do not really want Baines, where does that leave Fabio. I have heard Monaco want evra so maybe we will get baines but the guy is hardly young ffs.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the point of getting baines, only a few years younger than evra. If he was 23 I'd understand but he's 28. I think he'd do fairly well for you guys, he wouldn't be a straight up weak link but surely going for a young promising player who could fit in straight away like luke shaw or giving fabio games next season would be a better idea? You now have 3 leftbacks, if you buy baines that's 4 which there's no need for.

If you could get him for 10 million that would be good business regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Don't see the point of getting baines, only a few years younger than evra. If he was 23 I'd understand but he's 28. I think he'd do fairly well for you guys, he wouldn't be a straight up weak link but surely going for a young promising player who could fit in straight away like luke shaw or giving fabio games next season would be a better idea? You now have 3 leftbacks, if you buy baines that's 4 which there's no need for.

If you could get him for 10 million that would be good business regardless.
    To be fair, if Baines came, Evra would be off. Reports of him 'wanting'(?) to go back to France. If that would be true, it would make more sense to replace him now i guess. That would leave him, Buttner who isnt good enough anyway, and Fabio who is still a maybe.. and his best performances were at RB anyway. Even if Evra stays i'm not sure what we do with Buttner + Fabio

Baines is atleast on par with Evra defensively, imo, and is better offensively by quite a lot. He also plays on the left a lot like Evra does, a winger who cuts inside whilst the LB overlaps, so he would slot in straight away. I can see why people are saying we dont need to get rid of Evra etc, in a way, can't understand why people wouldnt want Baines though, he is easily good enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.