Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread X Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care even if he looked like Susan Boyle, as long as he wins some trophies! :teeth:

I wish Moysie the best of luck. I kinda like that he's brought in his own staff. Good to see he will be stamping down his authority and hopefully gaining everyones respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just realised Lumsden is 65 :laugh:

Somehow a 65 year old first team coach doesnt appeal to me

ReputationRep:
    He looks fine ffs!

(Original post by Tommyjw)
      Manchester United confirm Steve Round as assistant manager, Chris Woods as goalkeeping coach and Jimmy Lumsden as coach

Can't say I or 99% of fans now how 'good' they are at their job, but i have heard good things about Round, best of luck to them.
      For what it's worth, I remember Steve Round being pretty decent in FM11 and FM12 when looking for English coaches when I took the England job. :p:

ReputationRep:
      Why are we commenting on the appearance of our manager?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
      For what it's worth, I remember Steve Round being pretty decent in FM11 and FM12 when looking for English coaches when I took the England job. :p:
      FM knows best

I used to be a football mastermind when I played that, I recommended Kaka to Ancelotti.

ReputationRep:
      BBC:

Wayne Rooney and his agent Paul Stretford will meet with David Moyes and Manchester United this week.

The England striker indicated a desire to leave the club earlier in the summer and his future remains uncertain.

ReputationRep:
      Although this is unrelated to the recent posts, I'd just like to say that I do not believe Manchester United are the dominant team in English football, as many people seem to claim. Okay, it may be the dominant Premier League team (though even this is arguable) but it is certainly not the dominant team in the FA Cup or the League Cup. And what's more, it definitely isn't the best represented English team in European and inter-continental competition at the moment, though it was in the 2008-2011 period when it reached three Champions League finals, winning one of them. This is because Liverpool and Chelsea also have won Champions League title to their name coming from the 21st century, and both have reached another final, albeit losing them. The last English team to win the CL is not Manchester United, but rather Chelsea. Chelsea also won the Europa League last season, adding another Euro trophy to its name. And if Chelsea win the Uefa Super Cup on 31 July, that will certainly confirm that they are the best respresented English club in Euro competition at the moment (okay MANU have more overall trophies but I am talking about recent times, not 20th century). Most importantly, if MANU fail to win the Premier League next season then their dominance in that will be broken. To conclude, I am not saying that Manchester United are bad, I'm just saying that they aren't the dominant team in English football. No team is. It is very difficult to be dominant in English competitions as there are other top teams such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, and perhaps Tottenham, though I easily rule Liverpool out because they never finish in the top five now.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Michael McKean)
      Although this is unrelated to the recent posts, I'd just like to say that I do not believe Manchester United are the dominant team in English football, as many people seem to claim. Okay, it may be the dominant Premier League team (though even this is arguable) but it is certainly not the dominant team in the FA Cup or the League Cup. And what's more, it definitely isn't the best represented English team in European and inter-continental competition at the moment, though it was in the 2008-2011 period when it reached three Champions League finals, winning one of them. This is because Liverpool and Chelsea also have won Champions League title to their name coming from the 21st century, and both have reached another final, albeit losing them. The last English team to win the CL is not Manchester United, but rather Chelsea. Chelsea also won the Europa League last season, adding another Euro trophy to its name. And if Chelsea win the Uefa Super Cup on 31 July, that will certainly confirm that they are the best respresented English club in Euro competition at the moment (okay MANU have more overall trophies but I am talking about recent times, not 20th century). Most importantly, if MANU fail to win the Premier League next season then their dominance in that will be broken. To conclude, I am not saying that Manchester United are bad, I'm just saying that they aren't the dominant team in English football. No team is. It is very difficult to be dominant in English competitions as there are other top teams such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, and perhaps Tottenham, though I easily rule Liverpool out because they never finish in the top five now.
      If we're talking about history, then united are the dominant team and they're successful now.
      In recent times like you say 21st century onwards then it'd still be united top, chelsea second, arsenal third and city/liverpool for 4th place(considering liverpool were in top 4 and got good cup runs in the rafa benitez era)

If we consider the past 5 years. It's still united. Chelsea a close second, city a bit out in third but above the likes of arsenal/tottenham/liverpool.

ReputationRep:
      Have we not signed anyone yet?

What a **** first day, just prancing around taking pictures with people who look like dinner ladies and not doing his job.

Heard another Sport article claims Thiago is close again, some old recycled news.

Guy is asking for a clause that promises he gets a certain amount of minutes like his Barca one apparently, clearly because he is scared of the competition he faces with Zidane Cleverley, which is understandable.

ReputationRep:
      Hopefully he tells Rooney to **** off

ReputationRep:
      why are we signing Garay?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Whitechapel)
      80% of united fans on twitter are a disgrace.
      Only on Twitter :confused:

ReputationRep:
      Moyes tasks:

Sign Thiago or another CM
      Sort the Rooney situation out, either keep a determined Rooney for 150-180k a week contract, or sell him for 35+mil
      Determine whether Jones is a suitable DM when needed or buy one

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wilfred Little)
      Only on Twitter :confused:
      You're right - in general. It's probably even higher than that, seriously. Though most on this forum are fair.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rohitbd)
      Moyes tasks:

Sign Thiago or another CM
      Sort the Rooney situation out, either keep a determined Rooney for 150-180k a week contract, or sell him for 35+mil
      Determine whether Jones is a suitable DM when needed or buy one
      Agreed.. But i think jones's future is as a centre back, sign strootman as DM, the midfield has looked too weak against big teams. Also the feel we need a winger, Schurrle would of been perfect

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by zKlown)
      Why are we commenting on the appearance of our manager?
      Very good question, why are we? Saying he's an "ugly mofo" is not very pleasant and tbf, I've seen worser managers in the looks department and the first day is going to be taken advantage of with pictures, videos etc. I'm sure he's doing some work alongside all of that.

If we are talking of appearance, I'm glad he ditched the track-suits for a fine suit during the end of his Everton days, suits him alot more.

Round seems to have decent credentials having worked with McClaren in the Middlesbrough/England set ups and Rumsden - hmmm, jury's out on him atm but if he is able to provide levity and a bridge between Moyes/players like Phelan did then age shouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cost)
      Agreed.. But i think jones's future is as a centre back, sign strootman as DM, the midfield has looked too weak against big teams. Also the feel we need a winger, Schurrle would of been perfect
      Yep same think Jones will be a CB, but if we don't need a DM until the knockout stages of the CL then he could also be turned into a DM.
      I don't think we need a winger, Zaha, Young, Nani, Valencia and even Kagawa and Welbeck can play wide, not many better wingers in the market at a decent price.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rohitbd)
      Yep same think Jones will be a CB, but if we don't need a DM until the knockout stages of the CL then he could also be turned into a DM.
      I don't think we need a winger, Zaha, Young, Nani, Valencia and even Kagawa and Welbeck can play wide, not many better wingers in the market at a decent price.
      Young and Valencia were awful last season, Nani was hot and cold, Kagawa shouldn't be on the wing ideally as he is better through the centre and Zaha is unproven. Ideally we need some kind of change on the wings in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Idle)
      Young and Valencia were awful last season, Nani was hot and cold, Kagawa shouldn't be on the wing ideally as he is better through the centre and Zaha is unproven. Ideally we need some kind of change on the wings in my opinion.
      Just because some good players didn't play very good last season it doesn't mean we should/can buy another winger. We're Manchester United, we don't do that.

I've said it once, but I don't think there are any 'must-buys' this season. However, I'm desperate for Thiago to sign because if anyone is going to be the next Xavi, it's him.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.