Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At least we have only one month left of Thiago rumours, then it is done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Just because some good players didn't play very good last season it doesn't mean we should/can buy another winger. We're Manchester United, we don't do that.
    Agreed, we have 3 winger who we know can reach the standard required and one who needs a chance. I don't think we need a winger simply because of last season.

I've said it once, but I don't think there are any 'must-buys' this season. However, I'm desperate for Thiago to sign because if anyone is going to be the next Xavi, it's him.
    I think a CM of some from is a must buy if the team is to move forward, or even be sure of standing still. We've pushed our luck for some time in that position, with Scholes gone, questions over Fletcher, and Cleverly and Anderson's career in general looking a bit limp, we really could do with another player there. We could probably get through the season, but we would be heavily reliant on Carrick being fit and in form. Him being injured would be a body blow with our current squad.

ReputationRep:
    If carrick got injured we don't have anyone who can control midfield

ReputationRep:
    A cm is almost definitely a must buy for you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    If carrick got injured we don't have anyone who can control midfield
    Giggs

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
      Giggs
      Unfortunately he can't play every game for us though and when he does play, he's not always going to be playing 90 minutes. :sad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
      Unfortunately he can't play every game for us though and when he does play, he's not always going to be playing 90 minutes. :sad:
      Giggs is no cm and tbh he's well past it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Whitechapel)
      why are we signing Garay?
      Well its not official and the only reports still only seem to be from Portugal(?)

But i can see the reasoning tbh.

1) Proactive signing, which is better than a reactive one given our constant CB crises.

2) Better CB than Evans imo, a 'leader' type, and aerially dominant to the levels only Vidic surpasses in our current CB crop. Many would see without Vidic we look **** in the air.

3) We do not currently posses two 'deserving' CB's who can play week in, week out. Think Vidic + Rio playing 30+ PL games each a season, that type of thing.

Vidic cant play that often, it doesnt seem, and we are unsure of his fitness, Rio cant and we are even more unsure of his. Evans is a good second CB but i'd rather he not be the best CB available at any point tbh. Smalling + Jones both have potential but neither having exactly done a nastasic/varane and shown they deserve to play every week. There is a point to be made we should trust them and test them, just like there is one that it may be a risk to do so.

I'd rather see Vidic + Garay, than Vidic + Evans.

If we sign him, it would seem we can trust reports we have been looking at him for a good long while now, so they likely see him as Rios 'replacement'. A 'get him when we can' Cb in their minds, that may not directly improve our squad just yet but it will shore us up.

ReputationRep:
      Oh and apparently Mike Phelan in a really good interview claimed 'no comment' when asked about Ronaldo and twitter mugs are going crazy for it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Manchester United)
      Just because some good players didn't play very good last season it doesn't mean we should/can buy another winger. We're Manchester United, we don't do that.

I've said it once, but I don't think there are any 'must-buys' this season. However, I'm desperate for Thiago to sign because if anyone is going to be the next Xavi, it's him.
      I think it's up to Moyes to determine if they are just blips, in Valencia's case he was poor for pretty much the entire season, that isn't a drop in form that is a serious concern when it occurs for 9 months. Young was injured on and off and again Moyes will have to evaluate if this was just bad luck or an issue, and except for patches in his first season he hasn't set Old Trafford alight either way.

It's obviously just my opinion but I wouldn't personally be surprised to see a change with someone going out/coming in out of the wingers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Idle)
      I think it's up to Moyes to determine if they are just blips, in Valencia's case he was poor for pretty much the entire season, that isn't a drop in form that is a serious concern when it occurs for 9 months. Young was injured on and off and again Moyes will have to evaluate if this was just bad luck or an issue, and except for patches in his first season he hasn't set Old Trafford alight either way.

It's obviously just my opinion but I wouldn't personally be surprised to see a change with someone going out/coming in out of the wingers.
      Yes but think about the season before last, Valencia was a beast and one of our best players. Heck, he managed to earn the number 7! We cannot give up on Valencia, unless we are to adapt a more central type of play/formation (we would need a player like Thiago to spearhead this though).

However, I'm confident that the introduction of RVP doesn't suit Valencia. Valencia is an old-fashioned winger who just wants to run down the line and smash it into the box and hope that someone gets on the end of it. RVP doesn't appreciate that, he wants the ball into his feet so he can craft a chance. Hernandez on the other hand, seems to prefer Valencia's type of play.

If we aren't to loan Zaha out, I'd like to see him get some game time too.

ReputationRep:
      I just hope Nani stays and gets his fair share of game time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
      Giggs
      :rofl:
      Also, how many times has giggs played right midfield? I was surprised when I saw him on the right vs madrid.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam277)
      :rofl:
      Also, how many times has giggs played right midfield? I was surprised when I saw him on the right vs madrid.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_UE..._Final#Details

ReputationRep:
      Skysports:

Holland midfielder Kevin Strootman has been heavily linked with Manchester United, but his current club PSV Eindhoven are reluctant to sell having already lost three key players - Jeremain Lens, Dries Mertens and Erik Pieters - this summer. PSV technical director Marcel Brands has told De Telegraaf the player is committed to the Eredivisie club for at least one more season...

"We don't want to lose Strootman.
      He knows he will play another year for PSV"

Benfica's new defensive signing Lisandro Ezequiel Lopez (not to be confused with his Argentinian compatriot, Lyon striker Lisandro Lopez) says he's ready to replace Ezequiel Garay at the Lisbon club. That will only increase speculation that Garay is bound for Manchester United.

ReputationRep:
      Hmm I didn't realise that. I'm guessing it was very rarely and was a technique that prevented him from being marked out of the game.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam277)
      Hmm I didn't realise that. I'm guessing it was very rarely and was a technique that prevented him from being marked out of the game.
      It was one of the rare occasions, due to both Scholes and Keane being suspended, meaning we were short of CMs (so Beckham shifted into the centre).

Blomqvist :sad: His 38th and only game for us, despite being at Old Trafford for two subsequent seasons.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Idle)

Interesting to note we reliably closely missed out on both Moura and Hazard last summer. That was a summer after a season where our wingers, whatever you think of them as players, all played well. You have to imagine we have atleast equal interest in wider players this summer too, now that the wingers have been worse.

ReputationRep:
      What do people think of Paulinho going to Spurs? For £17 million, which coincidently is what the papers are suggesting we will have to pay Everton for Baines, a 28 year old LB.

Paulinho impressed for Brazil in the Confederations cup. He was tidy, athletic and was instrumental in controlling the midfield against an admittedly poor Spain side in the final.

Franco Baldini is getting business done, and all I've seen in the way of news concerning united are pictures of Moyes and his staff skipping around Carrington.

It's early days I know, but something to think about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
      What do people think of Paulinho going to Spurs? For £17 million, which coincidently is what the papers are suggesting we will have to pay Everton for Baines, a 28 year old LB.

Paulinho impressed for Brazil in the Confederations cup. He was tidy, athletic and was instrumental in controlling the midfield against an admittedly poor Spain side in the final.

Franco Baldini is getting business done, and all I've seen in the way of news concerning united are pictures of Moyes and his staff skipping around Carrington.

It's early days I know, but something to think about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      if he can consistantly play at the same level as he did at the confed cup... then spurs have just got a real bargain! and done very very well...

However for them as a team, a CM isnt really their top priority, and untill they sort out their attack they will still fall short.. (and ofcourse presuming bale stays.. if he doesnt, I wouldnt be suprised to see a 6th/7th finish)

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.