The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
I made a long post ages ago with all the different sources of income and there should be plenty of money but how much was that left back?

15m on Zaha, if they sign Thiago that's another 15m at least, Bale 65m+, the Glazers aren't spending close to 100m. They will be lucky to spend 50m, where did the Ronaldo money go?

The Ronaldo money was spent ages ago.

The budget this season will be interesting with Ed Woodward in charge now. David Gill had been working with the club since the 90s and followed the Martin Edwards school of thought that major investment in the squad wasn't necessary in summers after we'd just won the championship. In general the better the team did on the pitch, the harder it became to talk funds out of the board. There's been a couple of exceptions (Veron, Berbatov) but in general big name players have signed in the window after United have lost the league. Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Van Persie and even cheaper players that've become big players like Vidic, Evra and Hernandez.

Under the old regime I'd expect very little movement this year but I'm not so sure now. The money is certainly there (even after the debt repayments) from all these new regionalised partnerships they've been signing up all over the place in the past 18 months or so ... it's a case of how much Moyes wants to spend and how justifiable any potential signings are IMO.
Original post by Aky786UK
I don't know if you folks know but it is a landmark anniversary today, exactly ten years ago we purchased a promising midfielder with a double-barrell name, Eric Djemba-Djemba!

I remember when we signed him ... he came to Old Trafford with Nantes the year before, got hammered 5-1 and I didn't remember him playing particularly well at all. That alone seemed to be a bad sign.

Memo to all those clamouring for us to sign a midfielder this summer ... signing a midfielder is not always a good thing!! :tongue:
Original post by Aky786UK
Reading that no United manager has won a trophy in their first two years (on the Mail website) so Moyes, I'm confident, will end that record and pick up a trophy. It'd be nice to win the FA Cup under his stewardship - a trophy he hasn't won but we haven't for ages. But obviously, any major trophy would be amazing.

Dave Sexton won the Charity Shield in his first game as manager, or are we not having that?

Moyes could be the second manager to win a trophy in his first game. Frankly I'm never sure why that's included on the major honours list but it is.
Original post by IanDangerously
The Ronaldo money was spent ages ago.

On the debt, yeah, it went straight down the drain.

80m and United replaced Ronaldo with Michael Owen and Tony Valencia? Something's not right there. The money went on the debt, you made a 20m net profit (roughly, don't bite my head off) in 2009 but that included the Ronaldo sale. So you won the CL & league the year before and yet would have been 60m down were it not for Ronaldo.

You can't point to Valencia or Hernandez, Jones etc and say it was spent on those because you were promised 25m annually by them anyway and they haven't even given you that.

You spent 50m roughly last season (41m net) but 24m of that includes the purchase of van Persie which I believe was a farewell gift to Ferguson from the Glazers. Don't expect 50m to be spent this summer.

The budget this season will be interesting with Ed Woodward in charge now. David Gill had been working with the club since the 90s and followed the Martin Edwards school of thought that major investment in the squad wasn't necessary in summers after we'd just won the championship. In general the better the team did on the pitch, the harder it became to talk funds out of the board. There's been a couple of exceptions (Veron, Berbatov) but in general big name players have signed in the window after United have lost the league. Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Van Persie and even cheaper players that've become big players like Vidic, Evra and Hernandez.

Under the old regime I'd expect very little movement this year but I'm not so sure now. The money is certainly there (even after the debt repayments) from all these new regionalised partnerships they've been signing up all over the place in the past 18 months or so ... it's a case of how much Moyes wants to spend and how justifiable any potential signings are IMO.

Who knows. I don't doubt there is money there but you are run by the biggest set of greedy bastards in football.
The good news is the Daehli transfer apparently has a clause that he can come back here if all parties want one once his contract is up (which i assume, given otherwise its just a normal transfer, would be for free).

The bad news is that Phil Neville is now apparently our first team coach. I kid, its not that bad, he knows the club + the league + the manager + has worked with world class players before, so we'll see how it goes.

Also Giggs is now a player coach.
(edited 10 years ago)
BBC:

Phil Neville
named as first team-coach and Ryan Giggs as player-coach.

It's nice to see British players given the opportunity of proving themselves than just bringing foreign managers/coaches in. I don't know how they'll do or what they'll bring in terms of coaching or even if they'll be able to help united in winning a trophy. But they're experience will help them to understand the players better so that can only be a good thing.

Other than that good luck to them!

David Moyes will address the media as Manchester United manager for the first time on Friday.

The new Reds boss officially took over the reins at Old Trafford on 1 July and will outline his plans for the future in front of the world's media. United skipper Nemanja Vidic will join his new boss in answering questions.

(edited 10 years ago)
I heard when sky sports were reporting about giggs and Neville, they said theres rumours thiago will
Be announced on Friday?
Sport apparently said the deal is done.

AS saying his father is selling his restaurant

A reliable twitter guy saying w ehave booked a medical (https://twitter.com/MUFCLatestnews)
^That seems like bull**** but trust, he has called every medical right before anyone for quite a while now and he doesn't claim to know other random ****, just says he gets told when someone has booked a medical slot.

Few Journalists, some who i dont give a **** about like Ben Fairhtorne, saying its done

The momentum is building, more-so than it has before.
Skysports:

Catalan paper Sport claims Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara and that he could be unveiled as a Manchester United player on Friday.
Sport saying Villa + £25 million for Rooney. They can jog right on
Original post by Tommyjw

AS saying his father is selling his restaurant

Wonder who's going to stay in Spain with Rafael Alcantara if that is the case. Unless he moves on loan here. That'd be some Spanish contingent.
Original post by Whitechapel
Wonder who's going to stay in Spain with Rafael Alcantara if that is the case. Unless he moves on loan here. That'd be some Spanish contingent.

Could just be a case of cutting his ties so he is more freely able to travel back and forth to Thiago here ( :colone: ) .

No clue though, its speculation that could mean a lot of things.

Interestingly, the person i quoted above about the Medical which i deem trustworthy states there was a medical cancelled a day before it was meant to be happen and the belief was that it was for Lampard, around when we were linked him, strange!
Original post by Whitechapel

Isn't he supposed to be coming to the PL on loan? That was a rumour a while back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Announced on the same day as Moyes' first press conference would be interesting (which is at 4pm). :beard:
Original post by doggyfizzel
Isn't he supposed to be coming to the PL on loan? That was a rumour a while back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read he was off to Celta Vigo, maybe I'm in the wrong
Original post by Tommyjw

Interestingly, the person i quoted above about the Medical which i deem trustworthy states there was a medical cancelled a day before it was meant to be happen and the belief was that it was for Lampard, around when we were linked him, strange!

I did hear it was close, mind you I thought that was just pure rumour. We'll know more about that one day, I'm sure Fergie or Lampard will elaborate in time.
Reply 5876
Actually Man Utd have a medical booked in, but the player is yet not known, though it is likely to be thought to be Thiago, it could be Baines or someone we don't even know about.
Reply 5877
Yep lol

InB4 it's Baines ffs
Signing Baines would possibly be the best thing Moyes could do to undermine my faith in him, pretty much the exact thing Redknapp or Hughes would do.
Reply 5879
Original post by zKlown
Yep lol

InB4 it's Baines ffs

I know only yesterday reports were saying Xavi had convinced him to stay, and that Thiago wanted to stay at Barca all along, but wanted to get a better contract and more playing time.

Latest