The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

Just imagine what Moyes will make him look like with his intense training. He just needs a push instead of a nudge in the right direction-let him see the benefits of being in that elite state of body fitness with amount of goals scored and then he will do it himself. Just use operant conditioning.

I agree.

Two issues with Rooney are fitness and motivation. Clearly still has the ability. Fitness, if the change with Moyes can't sort it out, the only thing that could would simply a new life elsewhere. Motivation, its whether the negotiations go well in his eyes or if he simple runs down his contact.. the latter will likely make him much more unhappy than the former.

The trouble is, motivation is down to playing time + playing position too. Rooney scored 27 league goals, a number not many have reached, and then watched the club buy two top class players in the positions he plays in.. i'm all for increasing club quality but you can see why that isnt exactly motivation. It's like watching De Gea have a sick season and then going "oh by the way we bought Neuer" or something.

Add in the fact we now have an unbalanced front line because Kagawa, whilst not immediately deserving to make the 10 spot his own, deserves plenty of chances.. and Rooney does too. We also have a striker of such quality that he is almost undroppable even when he doesnt score for 600 minutes because he's still great on the ball etc.

Is there even much room for 'added motivation' for Rooney? Is he going to get the gametime he wants in his two main positions? If he cant get a game upfront when RvP can't score for ****.. is he ever going to get a decent chance there? If we are to keep Rooney and get the best out of him, which we should imo, the club and its way of thinking needs to change.. not just Rooneys attitude and such.
Original post by Tommyjw
I agree.

Two issues with Rooney are fitness and motivation. Clearly still has the ability. Fitness, if the change with Moyes can't sort it out, the only thing that could would simply a new life elsewhere. Motivation, its whether the negotiations go well in his eyes or if he simple runs down his contact.. the latter will likely make him much more unhappy than the former.

The trouble is, motivation is down to playing time + playing position too. Rooney scored 27 league goals, a number not many have reached, and then watched the club buy two top class players in the positions he plays in.. i'm all for increasing club quality but you can see why that isnt exactly motivation. It's like watching De Gea have a sick season and then going "oh by the way we bought Neuer" or something.

Add in the fact we now have an unbalanced front line because Kagawa, whilst not immediately deserving to make the 10 spot his own, deserves plenty of chances.. and Rooney does too. We also have a striker of such quality that he is almost undroppable even when he doesnt score for 600 minutes because he's still great on the ball etc.

Is there even much room for 'added motivation' for Rooney? Is he going to get the gametime he wants in his two main positions? If he cant get a game upfront when RvP can't score for ****.. is he ever going to get a decent chance there? If we are to keep Rooney and get the best out of him, which we should imo, the club and its way of thinking needs to change.. not just Rooneys attitude and such.

I Agree to many of your points.

However, Rooney needs to step up and show all the qualities that should be shown by a professional footballer who is in the best league and in the world and is paid extraordinary amounts of money. Wayne needs to look at it in a black and white perspective and leave out his emotions to one side (even if he is a human being). He needs to fight for his place and I mean that in every way possible. He should should fight for his place by elevating his fitness to the hifhest level possible and we have the best coaches to allow him to fulfill it. Motivation will now come into play because he needs to want to train harder and earn his place. I think Fergie did not see that Rooney had earned his place (that is the key word for me in my argument), just like how Mourinho had left out Iker Casillas out of real madrid team. If Rooney puts his head down and follows advice-I have honestly believe he could be the best striker in the word. Rooney has many qualities that even the best striker in the world does not have. He can score goals and also show qualities that is only seen in central midfielders with his technique with the ball. Thats' why Fergie played him in midfield-because Rooney is a well rounded player.

Moving on, I really think that Moyes coming in, is the best thing to happen to Rooney since the 2008 season. Moyes will squeeze every last drop out of Rooney to get the best out of him. Thank god Moyes was Hired at the same time that Rooney was about to leave-could say it is a blessing.

Also, Rooney realises that he is in the same boat as every single player in this team, he needs to earn his place. That is why I really like Hernandez and his mental qualities that Rooney seems to lack.

True Motivation is from within that is not influenced from external sources, This shown by Hernandez, every time he goes on-he runs like a beast and works as hard as he can-even if he is left out for many games in a row.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6002
Thiago to begin pre-season training with Barca. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8815336/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

There isn't one single even vaguely concrete sign to suggest he's heading our way tbh.
Original post by Akkuz
Thiago to begin pre-season training with Barca. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8815336/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

There isn't one single even vaguely concrete sign to suggest he's heading our way tbh.

I wouldnt be suprised if in years to come - it comes to light that the confed-cup was the turning point..

Before then everything seemed to be spiraling/suggesting that he would leave,

But after xavi's weak performance, and increasing signs of age... - tihngs have just gone dead.

Maybe that forced barca to have a re-think, and showed thiago that he has a chance of becoming a regular starter..
Reply 6004
Barcelona's people are just playing media games again. Remember Barcelona have no say when United activate Thiago's release clause but United will only do that once contractual issues are sorted - that's the delay; who pays the VAT on top of the release clause and details in his contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ofcourse he is, he is there player. Just like nani, anderson, macheda, bebe etc are training with us despite most likely leaving.

Transfers dont work on 'concrete signs'. No-one had any idea what was happening with De Gea until he popped up under a white sheet in Manchester. If reliable journalists say we are in for him, we are, if a staff member said his representatives were in Manchester, they were, if reliable people keep saying the deal could happen, it could.
We still haven't heard anything from the United camp about actually being in for him, its just paper talk and assumptions. We have no evidence Moyes is even interested in him, let alone actively pursuing him. I'm not too worried, as I said, it all seems a little too good to be true, can't help feeling if there was a chance of him wanting to move other clubs would be in for him at that price and you wouldn't be leaving the deal this long.

If we don't get him its not a disaster so long as Moyes brings in someone else, we don't need Thiago, we need a CM. Its all a bit quiet, but perhaps the journalists are struggling with the change of manager those old backchannels for gossip might not be in place or have the same access to information yet.

It will be interesting to see how Moyes play this, 1st round knock out and 2nd place might have been okay for SAF but the vultures will be circling if that is his first season. Don't necessarily need the business done early but I'm surprised he's not wanting to get it done right away, unless he feels he's does need to add anything, which is bold to say the least.
Reply 6007
Re Thiago there are five reliable people on twitter who have all the info - reports elsewhere are likely to be bogus - @BumperGraham @AndyMitten @Fergie1975 @DuckerTheTimes @MiguelDelaney

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doggyfizzel
We still haven't heard anything from the United camp about actually being in for him,

.. probably because that hardly ever happens across all clubs.
Original post by Tommyjw
.. probably because that hardly ever happens across all clubs.
Clubs don't attempt to tap up players in advance? They do on a regular basis, Barca the club in question are notorious for it.
Original post by Akkuz

RVP started pre season with Arsenal last year even though everyone knew he wasn't going to sign a new contract.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Clubs don't attempt to tap up players in advance? They do on a regular basis, Barca the club in question are notorious for it.

RvP and De Gea are the only players in recent times i can remember the club (SAF) actually commenting on. Even then SAF said the De Gea rumours were a load of crap and then poof, we signed him.

We just don't go around announcing we are interested in players, Moyes himself said that, it just isn't criteria for proof that we are interested in a player and i don't get why people say there is no proven interest. Reliable journalists for places like MEN, The Times etc are saying there is that.. and that is that really. We aren't talking about the Daily Mail saying random crap all the time here.
Unfortunately, I don't think we will sign Thiago. There has been no reports from a credible news source suggesting that we are interested in Thiago.

I'm thinking Moyes will try and do another season with Carrick bossing CM.
There must be reason why these people are saying Thiago is going to United. If he wasn't at least involved he would have come out by now and said something.
Original post by Tommyjw
RvP and De Gea are the only players in recent times i can remember the club (SAF) actually commenting on. Even then SAF said the De Gea rumours were a load of crap and then poof, we signed him.
Well first you need a link, they aren't going to comment on players they want to keep quite, such as Herandez and Kagawa. We've also missed out on names in recent years, SAF wasn't exactly coy about the fact he was interested in Nasri, the same with Moura. He didn't confirm a transfer but he publicly stated he attended a game to watch Hazard and commented on how good he was. He also didn't state the De Gea rumours were a load of crap only that a deal was not already in place at that time, which may or may not have been true, and even if it was true he may not have been able to say due to Athletico needing a replacement.

We just don't go around announcing we are interested in players, Moyes himself said that, it just isn't criteria for proof that we are interested in a player and i don't get why people say there is no proven interest. Reliable journalists for places like MEN, The Times etc are saying there is that.. and that is that really. We aren't talking about the Daily Mail saying random crap all the time here.
I would have expected Moyes to state some kind of admiration even if he's playing down the likelihood of any deal. I've already stated my opinion of "reliable journalists". They are all the same, reporting rumours and hersay, once in a blue moon one of them will get an actually source on a medical or a contract and this then makes reliable from this point forward.

I'm don't think there is zero interest, but I don't think there is anything to suggest the deal is imminent if it does happen. Its taking an awful long time considering we were in talks, people were selling property and such. The papers do the exact same thing on every transfer, talk it up as if it is on the verge of happening, all trying to break the story first. If Thiago is available I'm sure Moyes is interested in the same way he's interested in Messi, I'm just not buying the idea that we are at any advanced stage of negotiation or have even entered any form of more formal negotiations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6015
Original post by Manchester United
Unfortunately, I don't think we will sign Thiago. There has been no reports from a credible news source suggesting that we are interested in Thiago.

I'm thinking Moyes will try and do another season with Carrick bossing CM.

Sky Sports and The Times journalists have all said that discussions are well advanced. Personal terms agreed etc but just contractual issues. This is dragging on to be fair though. If it isn't concluded this week then I'll begin to lose hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6016
http://www.nononsensefootball.com/will-thiago-become-a-man-united-player-this-week/
no nonsense reporting that the deal will happen THIS week... their pretty reliable
Reply 6017
Original post by cost
http://www.nononsensefootball.com/will-thiago-become-a-man-united-player-this-week/
no nonsense reporting that the deal will happen THIS week... their pretty reliable

They also say we may buy Ronaldo, Thiago is most likely not going to be playing for us this season as no concrete news has been reported and the papers have contradicted them selves many times when they have been proved wrong.
Reply 6018
Original post by rohitbd
They also say we may buy Ronaldo, Thiago is most likely not going to be playing for us this season as no concrete news has been reported and the papers have contradicted them selves many times when they have been proved wrong.

what about top journo's like graham hunter, guillem balague and tancredi palmeri all reporting that there have been contract discussions between UTD and thiago and his dad. We are after him..
We are clearly after Thiago and he's clearly seriously thinking about leaving Barca. Transfers take time, Moyes has only just started his job and Thiago has only just got back from holiday. Sure the papers are full of nonsense and contradictions, thats always going to be the case.

Latest