Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, we still have our midfield magician. It might just be his year.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I've said all along i'd prefer Leon Osman anyway....

ReputationRep:
    Always preferred Rafael at CM personally.. :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry guys we can always just bring back Scholes

ReputationRep:
    The stuff about putting Martinez at CB is rubbish surely. Can't see Bayern taking one of the best DMs and shoving him at CB just to accommodate Thiago.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Neuer; Lahm, Martinez, Dante, Alaba; Schwein, Thiago; Robben, Kroos, Ribery; Gotze
    Muller > Robben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    The stuff about putting Martinez at CB is rubbish surely. Can't see Bayern taking one of the best DMs and shoving him at CB just to accommodate Thiago.
    Especially considering that both Martinez and the defence have had fantastic seasons.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry rafael and tom cleverley will fill the void
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    If that is true then it means I am going to have to suffer another team playing ****ing Pep ball :sigh:

I assume that would mean Kroos playing at the tip of the diamond. Ribery / Robben on the wings and Gotze as a false 9. ****ing hell I hate Guardiola's tactical vision so much.

Kill me now.
    Ruining the most entertaining team that I've ever seen play would rather watch a parked bus all game

ReputationRep:

Muller > Robben
    Pep has always seen Martinez as a CB apparently. Having the view that he'd have a similar role to what Pique did for him at Barca. I think Thiago should only join Bayern if he gets a guarantee of x amount of playing time, otherwise it could turn out as a really bad career move. Also wouldn't underestimate the role Pep would have in this transfer, I'm sure Thiago would love to work with him once a again. Could end up forming a dynasty at Bayern.

Regarding Muller > Robben, yeah you have a point. Muller was brilliant last season, especially in the CL. But I have a feeling Pep will stick to Robben/Ribery at the start. Still, Mandzukic, Muller, Shaqiri, Gustavo, Pizzaro on the bench. Strength in depth right there

ReputationRep:
    This guy translated the actual interview.

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 35s
    Castaño: "Then there's the one from Bayern Munich.Thiago didn't know if he'd play too much at Barca"(he speaks fast so I might be a bit off)
    Castaño: "There are various factors. There have been several offers on the table. From Manchester United and Real Madrid."

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 1m
    The host then goes and asks why Thiago has chosen to go to Bayern:

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 32s
    Castaño: "The club Thiago has chosen is Bayern Munich."

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 1m
    Castaño: "First, we have been told that Thiago Alcantara's future is not at Barca. Second, we have been told the club he has chosen.

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 2m
    Castaño: "This is from a very credible source, a source that is, lets say, directly linked to the footballer."

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 5m
    He says that they haven't been able to talk to Mazinho or Pere Guardiola.

Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 7m
    This is what Juanma Castaño said at Cadena COPE. Word for word.

ReputationRep:
    With Strootman on his way to Roma and Thiago looking less likely by the minute, who else is there? (Besides ****ing Fellaini)

I think Roma will cash in on De Rossi tbh, would be an expensive short(ish)-term solution

Nah **** it, I'm still holding out for Thiago.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so what i'm understanding is..

- A reporter guy whos 'station?' seems reliable else people wouldnt be caring this much anyway says his source has told him Bayern is Thiago choice.

- Didnt want to go RM as to not cut off Barca. Between us and Bayern. Pep convinced him Martinez goes back to CB so he gets a CM spot.

- The reporter apparently keeps saying things like 'i'm panicking' before being cut off, and essentially says "“Take what I say with a pinch of salt due to what normally happens with these stories in the summer, All this makes me panic a bit, talking about breaking news”

Summary: A guy who doesnt seem to bull**** himself so thats one point, thinks he has an exclusive from his source, but is scared to say much about it because things may not happen and things can change, and was cut off whilst doing so

ReputationRep:
    Don't understand why people are confused about moving Martinez to CB, he played a lot at Athletic, especially under Bielsa and has played there regularly for Spanish youth teams. People should also remember that Barca were the only time who had higher average possession % than Bayern did last year, 'Pep's style' would not exactly be a massive deviation from the path they have been on since van Gaal took over.

If De Rossi is available (which I'm still some what suspicious about) I would really like to see him here if Thiago doesn't happen, I'd also love to see Etienne Capoue to come in from Toulouse... that said I think I'll be my happiest if we don't get Fellaini, would be an incredible waste of money (hopefully one of our rivals get dragged into the idiocy surrounding him though )

ReputationRep:
    More of this Twitter bull****?

I can't wait until the start of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Besides De Rossi I'm struggling to think of any top class midfielders who may be on the market?

Even Paulinho would have been better than Anderson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Don't understand why people are confused about moving Martinez to CB, he played a lot at Athletic, especially under Bielsa and has played there regularly for Spanish youth teams.
    He played there a lot last season, which if I recall was originally the cover for injuries, but otherwise he has generally played DM. But, regardless of that, he's clearly better at DM than CB, so I can't see him having his position changed. And, anyway, once Badstuber is fit again, that'll be him, Dante, Boateng, Gustavo and Kirchhoff (and Van Buyten if you want to count him) that would be available for CB. If you're to believe the Martinez CB stuff, then that means Pep is happy to play a DM over all those more natural CBs whilst leaving himself with a midfield of Schwein and probably Gustavo, as presumably he wants to do this Thiago or no Thiago. Based on that, I'm pretty certain the rumour is fake. Not that Thiago couldn't go to Bayern, just that Javi will play CB to accommodate him.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand 5 seconds after I post this:

'Pep Guardiola on Thiago Alcantara: "I want Thiago. Have asked. I know him very well. I talked to Rummenigge & Sammer about him."'

Doesn't really make sense to me based on what I already said. He either won't play or Pep will make a very odd tactical decision.

ReputationRep:
    He played there a lot last season, which if I recall was originally the cover for injuries, but otherwise he has generally played DM. But, regardless of that, he's clearly better at DM than CB, so I can't see him having his position changed. And, anyway, once Badstuber is fit again, that'll be him, Dante, Boateng, Gustavo and Kirchhoff (and Van Buyten if you want to count him) that would be available for CB. If you're to believe the Martinez CB stuff, then that means Pep is happy to play a DM over all those more natural CBs whilst leaving himself with a midfield of Schwein and probably Gustavo, as presumably he wants to do this Thiago or no Thiago. Based on that, I'm pretty certain the rumour is fake. Not that Thiago couldn't go to Bayern, just that Javi will play CB to accommodate him.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand 5 seconds after I post this:

'Pep Guardiola on Thiago Alcantara: "I want Thiago. Have asked. I know him very well. I talked to Rummenigge & Sammer about him."'

Doesn't really make sense to me based on what I already said. He either won't play or Pep will make a very odd tactical decision.

According to Sport Witness he said he wants the player but a deal is not done.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...-pinch-of-salt

ReputationRep:
    From @honigstein

Pep: "I want Thiago Alcantara. Have asked (Bayern to get him) Don't know what will happen".

"I know him very well. I talked to Rummenigge and Sammer about him, we will wait and then see"

"Don't think (adding another midfielder) will be a problem. I spoke to club about my concept and told them why I want Thiago Alcantara"

"Thiago is the only player I want, that's what I told them"

"We have many players but we the need the special (quality) that Thiago Alcantara brings"

"The club will decide. I told them my opinion"

"Nobody will leave Barcelona, unless they feel they won't play much. He wants to play. That's why I proposed him to the club"

"Javier Martinez can play at CB, he played very well there with Athletic"
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    So no deal is done. But if Thiago goes to Bayern we all know why - it's a better team than Man Utd

ReputationRep:
    Well that's that. Never thought we could compete if Bayern were seriously in for him

Another main target missed out on. Let's just hope we have another top class option, highly disappointing if we go into the season with Cleverly as our second best CM again.

ReputationRep:
    But the heck do we keep missing out. Ozil, Sneijder, Modric etc etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.