Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    The thing I don't understand with Welbeck is that he trains with the likes of Rooney, RVP and Hernandez. Surely he could pick up a thing or two from them? He lacks any sort of composure, for example in the Madrid game where he had a chance to square it to someone in a better position but there was just blood rushing to his head and he ended up wasting the chance. I think it's criminal he's been used ahead of Hernandez, sure there is more to his game in link-up play but the main aim of a striker is to put the ball in the back of the net.
    Well, Welbeck hasn't actually played as a striker when he's played most of the time. He's often left or right wing, not that he has any assist statistics to brag about either.

I'm not a fan personally. He has moments where he shows he's very aware of his teammates positioning and can pull off a fancy pass or dummy, but I don't feel he offers much more, other than good workrate. But, to be fair to him, why would he do well playing out of position? In the 2011/12 season he did pretty decent and was usually played up top.

(Original post by Akkuz)
    Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...er-United-deal

Not sure what to make of this. Do we want a club to come in with an offer..? Or maybe, he's refused a contract.
    Based on what we've heard so far, which is Moyes refusing to say Rooney has said he wants to stay i.e. suggesting the opposite has been said, I assume he doesn't want to stay, so naturally he won't sign a new contract even if he was offered one. Then it just comes down to whether the club want to keep him for his remaining two years, I suppose. If they think they can force him to play an important role for 2 years, then it might be worth keeping him. But if not, then we're probably looking to sell now while we can still get a lot for him.

Appaz Moyes said this, according to Goal.com:
    "Wayne’s got a major part to play because we need to try and get him as many goals as we possibly can," he said.

"Overall, my thought on Wayne is that if for any reason we had an injury to Robin van Persie we are going to need him and I want as many options as possible.

"It’s going to be a time to see how I work with him. Wayne, in a way, fits that as well. We need to see how it works. Maybe in a year’s time we might have to look at something else."

"Manchester United isn’t about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team, the club," Moyes added.

"We are talking about him now, and rightly so, but I won’t allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club."
    Doesn't sound like we're that bothered about Rooney then anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    ‘Have you watched hulk for the past year and use that as a reason to call him world class? Nope.’ How do you back this up??? You don’t know what I watch so stop chatting **** about making assertions that you assume are backing up!

'…..the fact that your team struggling to get key signing that you should have bagged by now…..' The only player that we've been linked and were reportedly close to signing is Thiago but Moyes denied he was a target. So where’s your backing for that? And what other key ‘signings’ this summer have we been close to but haven't signed?
    I'll say this now and I'll say it again if you watched hulk the past year you would not say he's world class as he's been shocking. The second bit I'm talking about key midfield signings like moura sneijder nasri haard signings that your team needed(although you got kagawa tbf). I didn't say this summer either
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Musester you silly fella
    He does it way too much tbh it gets boring and that welbeck gif is too funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Wouldnt know anything about the EL mate, never been in it. Plenty of glory beating Basel, Bucharest and Kazan after being embarrassed by proper teams in the group stage though, especially after spending yet another 100m on players for the pleasure.
    How about being UEFA cup runners up in 2000 and being embarrassed by teams in that group stage? Oh wait you don't remember that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    How about being UEFA cup runners up in 2000 and being embarrassed by teams in that group stage? Oh wait you don't remember that?
    I havent heard an Arsenal fan even talk about that in literally years, and doubt Ive ever heard an Arsenal fan brag about it. For what its worth, that was one of our first years in the CL and so it took us a while to get used to the competition, and we absolutely battered Gala in the final but somehow lost. Either way, I'd have taken progression to the next round of the CL over being finalists in the Uefa.

Not hating on Chelsea winning the EL, its a trophy. But I wouldnt come onto the Man Utd forum bragging about it that's for sure...

ReputationRep:
    I havent heard an Arsenal fan even talk about that in literally years, and doubt Ive ever heard an Arsenal fan brag about it. For what its worth, that was one of our first years in the CL and so it took us a while to get used to the competition, and we absolutely battered Gala in the final but somehow lost. Either way, I'd have taken progression to the next round of the CL over being finalists in the Uefa.

Not hating on Chelsea winning the EL, its a trophy. But I wouldnt come onto the Man Utd forum bragging about it that's for sure...
    TBF I'd take a QF instead of europa but a R16 pasting each year i'd rather just take 20m and then try and win the europa

ReputationRep:
    TBF I'd take a QF instead of europa but a R16 pasting each year i'd rather just take 20m and then try and win the europa
    The revenue is important for clubs who try to pay their own way in the world...

ReputationRep:
    The revenue is important for clubs who try to pay their own way in the world...
    FFP...

ReputationRep:
    Marca reporting that Thiago rejected us because we wouldn't but a clause in his contract guaranteeing him game time, wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

(Original post by xDave-)
    Appaz Moyes said this, according to Goal.com:

Doesn't sound like we're that bothered about Rooney then anyway.

(Original post by Akkuz)
    Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...er-United-deal

Not sure what to make of this. Do we want a club to come in with an offer..? Or maybe, he's refused a contract.

Looks like he's off then, don't think he will be happy about being told he is basically Van Persie back up either.

ReputationRep:
    Bit worried so far to be honest. No signings in, Moyes cannot confirm whether Rooney wants to stay or not, loss in Thailand. Not what I'm looking for. I want 2-3 signings, Rooney situation sorted stay or leave, and signings. Still, Ferguson lost 2-0 to Oxford United in his first game.

Thiago being linked with Barcelona. Can't understand why we haven't wrapped it up yet. Need signings Davey boy. Get rid of Anderson.

ReputationRep:
    Well...David Moyes says he has money to spend this summer, with Manchester United looking to land 'the best players' around.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...money-to-spend

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No idea who he's talking about because all the best players have been bought already or are not for sale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Well...David Moyes says he has money to spend this summer, with Manchester United looking to land 'the best players' around.

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No idea who he's talking about because all the best players have been bought already or are not for sale.
    Practically everyone's for sale for the right price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

the fact that WR is not going to get a contract this year is good ... UTD are in the driving seat.. he will need to put in a stellar shift next this season to get the contract and if he doesn't will be sold or UTD will let his contract run down where he will way past his peak...or WR hands a transfer request and a 30-37 mil bid comes in this summer..don't know where this 20 mil fee is coming from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Practically everyone's for sale for the right price.
    Maybe, though the right price has become something on the wrong side of 40-50m for someone world class these days, which I can't see us paying.

And, even if we were to, what players are we likely to buy? I can't think of anyone, the only hope is that Thiago is still considering us. The Daily Mail wrote something about De Rossi being left out of Roma's pre-season training, but he's almost 30 and seems to be on his way to Chelsea anyway. It's hardly likely we're going to buy Wilshere or Marchisio, despite United being stronger than those two clubs they're from (though Juventus is debatable now I'd say). I don't see where this world class midfielder (as Moyes says we only want the best) is coming from.

Maybe he's referring to other areas, and I'd agree we need to strengthen those, but CM is looking disastrous right now. Carrick is our only competent, fit midfielder, and that latter part could change at any second. Even if we buy Thiago, that means we only have 2 good midfielders. Need to pray Cleverley can resume the form he was showing early in the last two seasons, faded away last year.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Maybe, though the right price has become something on the wrong side of 40-50m for someone world class these days, which I can't see us paying.

And, even if we were to, what players are we likely to buy? I can't think of anyone, the only hope is that Thiago is still considering us. The Daily Mail wrote something about De Rossi being left out of Roma's pre-season training, but he's almost 30 and seems to be on his way to Chelsea anyway. It's hardly likely we're going to buy Wilshere or Marchisio, despite United being stronger than those two clubs they're from (though Juventus is debatable now I'd say). I don't see where this world class midfielder (as Moyes says we only want the best) is coming from.

Maybe he's referring to other areas, and I'd agree we need to strengthen those, but CM is looking disastrous right now. Carrick is our only competent, fit midfielder, and that latter part could change at any second. Even if we buy Thiago, that means we only have 2 good midfielders. Need to pray Cleverley can resume the form he was showing early in the last two seasons, faded away last year.
    If that's what you have to pay then thats what you have to pay. We can't just soldier on with a midfield that lacks quality and depth because theres 'no value in the market', not if we expect to win anything anyway. We aren't a club thats short of money so we should stop acting like one. As for who we should sign, I have no idea, but if we put enough money on the table then players like Gundogan and Bender will become available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

I'm glad that Moyes said United are short in the midfield department so at least we know that he is looking to improve it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't mean to neg you earlier, I was on my phone and just scrolling down.

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ot-a-done-deal

More media flip flopping on Thiago.

What annoys me is that what we know about his situation is the same as it was in June. He's contracted to Barca, he wants to play more games and make it into the World Cup squad, his dad met United officials, Bayern and United are his most likely destinations if he leaves.

But every tentative link with either team is jumped upon by the media.

The story is, he's making his mind up while he still can.

I actually think he'll stay now.

I'm just as bad as the ITKs for posting this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No budget constraints?

Yeah, the club has really shown that over the last few years...

ReputationRep:
    I'll say this now and I'll say it again if you watched hulk the past year you would not say he's world class as he's been shocking. The second bit I'm talking about key midfield signings like moura sneijder nasri haard signings that your team needed(although you got kagawa tbf). I didn't say this summer either

He does it way too much tbh it gets boring and that welbeck gif is too funny
    That bit of 'skill' from Welbeck was a reminder of why he is one of my least favourite players in our squad. Hopefully he can turn out to be our new Ji Sung Park. Already signs last year that he's heading towards that direction.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.