Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Not necessarily. Martinez is more than capable of doing a job similar to Pique. Pretty obvious what Pep is trying to do here. He's trying to replicate the system he used at Barca. Thiago will play similar to Iniesta, Schwein similar to Xavi, Gotze similar to Messi etc. Kroos doesn't have the pace to play on the wings so I think he'll start as the no.10. If I was Muller I'd be very worried, he's a bloody brilliant player but I don't think he's technical enough for a Pep side.
    Pep will be making a mistake if he takes too much bite out of the Bayern team. The pure tiki-taki game has been demolished by teams with a better combination of technical ability and power, like Bayern ironically. Also, has Gotze ever played up top? Bit different to playing with Messi.

Absolute madness if Muller gets dropped as well. He pretty much represents everything that makes Bayern better than Barca atm, energy, power, fight, so if he casts him aside then you know he's doing more harm than good.

Dortmund could make mince meat out them if he takes the edge out of Bayern tbh. I'd quite like to see that.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Schweinsteiger is a much better player than Busquets imo. I think even Bayern hierarchy have said he's the Xavi of Bayern. I'm just wondering how good Bayern will be when they get Lewandowski next year (on a free!). They are cleaning up in terms of transfers. Also weakening their main rivals in the process. Such a good strategy.
    Bayern are ***** tbh. Ruthlessly good at what they do but they are strangling the Bundesliga in the cot just as its starting to take off in a huge way.

Schweinsteiger is probably the best midfielder in the world right now. Can do everything Busquets does but takes on more offensive responsibility as well. So once they get Lewandowkski, I assume Gotze is dropped back into midfield to replace Ribery?

This is like Fifa career mode on amateur settings or something. At least Barca had Real who could compete financially. Guardiola has taken the easiest job in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Finally, we can move on from the Thiago drama that has been overshadowing the thread for months on end. ledleyking will be devastated, if that's an understatement.

I don't think we can understand why he's gone to Bayern besides his friendship with Pep but good luck to him. We'll see this time next year if his motivation for his decisiont to leave, i.e. to get into Spain's WC squad, was justified.

In regards to journalists and sources, it's a very rarity for a journalist to get a big exclusive scoop that turns out right. The competition is so strong the world of sports journalism that BS comes out regularly; journalists follow each other's stories; they think something might happen - it's just the way it is. Only recently, Sam Wallace of the Indy was saying two weeks ago that Mkhitaryan was joining Borussia and not Liverpool and it turned out just like that.

Time to move on to new targets. Modric maybe?
    I'd love Modric but he would surely be desperate to prove himself to his new manager.

I think we should be looking at players outside of Bayern/Barca/Real now, even the peripheries of their starting lineups.

I just want less of this 'United chase a player for 6 weeks' **** we go through every year.

I was still trying to learn how to spell Paulinho's name in the time it took for speculation to turn into his medical at Spurs.

Gundogan or Strootman for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    IIRC, they only started reporting that he was going to join Bayern on the back of Pep's quote earlier in the week. Nothing linking him with Bayern t earlier times. It was constant story of how he was going to join you this week, next week.
    I definitely read in several places that Bayern were in for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    So are you guys going to realise that these journalist know **** all. They've played you guys so much as so many of you fell for it. Even the ever reliable guardian posted an article that Thaigo was going to sign just hours before it became clear he was going to Bayern.

No one knows anything.
    Bit rich coming from an Arsenal fan on the back of the Higuain saga. You lot were just as confident of signing Higuain as United fans were of Thiago, if not more so, wasn't Higuain supposedly flying into London for a medical at one point? Then Perez comes out and says there's been no offer from Arsenal (few people actually reckoned Perez was lying because of all these reports from "reliable journalists" :laugh:) and it all goes quiet bar Ancelotti apparently wanting to keep him. Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Bit rich coming from an Arsenal fan on the back of the Higuain saga. You lot were just as confident of signing Higuain as United fans were of Thiago, if not more so, wasn't Higuain supposedly flying into London for a medical at one point? Then Perez comes out and says there's been no offer from Arsenal (few people actually reckoned Perez was lying because of all these reports from "reliable journalists" :laugh:) and it all goes quiet bar Ancelotti apparently wanting to keep him. Funny that.
    You're kind of proving my point here. And what's me an Arsenal fan got to do with it. Don't be so butt hurt.

I'm fighting the media here soony boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    This is like Fifa career mode on amateur settings or something. At least Barca had Real who could compete financially. Guardiola has taken the easiest job in the world.
    What was it Guardiola said his reason for choosing Bayern was? A new "challenge", or something like that.

Challenge must mean something different in Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone hand the Bundesliga and CL cup to Bayern please? BvB can just give up now and battle for second spot.

Anyways, I really think this a blessing in disguise!

They have Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Gustavo for DM.
    We do not have one!

Moyes should buy Gustavo. He really should.

I mean has anyone considered how the midfielders feel in Bayern? There must be some that are angry.
    We need to tap them up.

It is so pathetic looking at the number of credible midfielders compared to Bayern.

We are similar to Bayern in terms of getting more players than needed in a certain position, They have too many midielders but a lack of strikers, while we have too many strikers and lack of midfielders!

ReputationRep:
    Ehhh. More classy than "I'm signing for the champion's league winner."

(Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU)
    We are similar to Bayern in terms of getting more players than needed in a certain position, They have too many midielders but a lack of strikers, while we have too many strikers and lack of midfielders!
    We have the right amount of strikers. We also have a good amount of midfielders, just that some are too old, some are too young, some are too fat and some just aren't good enough. There's also Carrick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    You're kind of proving my point here. And what's me an Arsenal fan got to do with it. Don't be so butt hurt.

I'm fighting the media here soony boy.
    I don't even support United, so have absolutely no reason to be butt hurt. And I wasn't disagreeing with your point, the media is full of ****, just thought it amusing how quick you were to post here criticising United fans despite about 95% of your fellow Arsenal fans on here being guilty of the same thing...post something similar on the Arsenal thread did we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU)
    Can someone hand the Bundesliga and CL cup to Bayern please? BvB can just give up now and battle for second spot.

Anyways, I really think this a blessing in disguise!

They have Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Gustavo for DM.
    We do not have one!

Moyes should buy Gustavo. He really should.

I mean has anyone considered how the midfielders feel in Bayern? There must be some that are angry.
    We need to tap them up.

It is so pathetic looking at the number of credible midfielders compared to Bayern.

Yes but Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, Chelsea all have way to many midfielders, but all of them apart from Juve could do with a striker.
    Juve looks to be a solid bet with Llorente and Tevez making them good upfront and with the overhaul at Bayern they could beat them, at 16/1 to win the CL behind even City/Chelsea and us on sky bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Ehhh. More classy than "I'm signing for the champion's league winner."

We have the right amount of strikers. We also have a good amount of midfielders, just that some are too old, some are too young, some are too fat and some just aren't good enough. There's also Carrick.

and some are both of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    I don't even support United, so have absolutely no reason to be butt hurt. And I wasn't disagreeing with your point, the media is full of ****, just thought it amusing how quick you were to post here criticising United fans despite about 95% of your fellow Arsenal fans on here being guilty of the same thing...post something similar on the Arsenal thread did we?
    But I didn't have a go at them. So.......

I actually do- always going on about how rumours are BS.

Happy?

ReputationRep:
    If we're honest about it, how far away are we from being Champions League contenders with our current squad?

I reckon there are 5 or 6 teams who could give us a proper spanking if it came to it.

Not to increase the negativity, but there's surely got to be a sense of urgency from that guy who isn't David Gill. I wanted Everton's manager, not their transfer policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fact we couldn't get a 22 year old whilst there is a hole in our midfield says something. Why Man Utd has the pulling power of a fat chick in a club is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    The fact we couldn't get a 22 year old whilst there is a hole in our midfield says something. Why Man Utd has the pulling power of a fat chick in a club is beyond me.
    There is only one reason...Moyes must of insulted his mother during negotiations.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    If we're honest about it, how far away are we from being Champions League contenders with our current squad?

I reckon there are 5 or 6 teams who could give us a proper spanking if it came to it.

Not to increase the negativity, but there's surely got to be a sense of urgency from that guy who isn't David Gill. I wanted Everton's manager, not their transfer policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, we held our own against Madrid and won the league. I don't think we would win it but it's only a couple of years ago we were getting to finals like it was going out of fashion.

I'm disappointed we didn't get him, we do need the midfield sorting out if nothing else this summer, still it's mid July, plenty of time yet.

ReputationRep:
    We play Bayern in super cup.

Lets show Bayern what we are made of.
    Thiago v Cleverly. Yeh!

*Sarcasm*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Not really, we held our own against Madrid and won the league. I don't think we would win it but it's only a couple of years ago we were getting to finals like it was going out of fashion.

I'm disappointed we didn't get him, we do need the midfield sorting out if nothing else this summer, still it's mid July, plenty of time yet.
    I've been saying for a while the league win was flattering. RVP did the business.

A couple of years ago we were getting to finals yes, now I see us outside the top four in Europe, could that not be considered a decline?

Our midfield is incomparable to our European rivals.

I'm being overly critical I'll admit, but our squad doesn't reflect the stature and success of the club at the minute.

Early days it may be, but deals are being done mate, and our rivals are buying. I'm worried.

Next week when we've signed someone excellent I'll be pretending I didn't write any of this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Meh, the way we played versus Real highlighted the difference between the two teams really i.e. we knew they were superior, so we just went out to defend. That could've, and probably should've, won it for us though, it's a legitimate tactic. But when you're forced to play like that, it says a lot really.

Against Bayern, BVB, Real & Barca this coming year, we'd have to do the same thing. I think City are stronger than us too, as well as Chelsea. Not sure how good Juve are compared to us, and PSG are pretty strong nowadays. Right now we're certainly not a force in the Champions League anyway. I think our midfield is worse than every single one of those teams, and that's a key area on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Meh, the way we played versus Real highlighted the difference between the two teams really i.e. we knew they were superior, so we just went out to defend. That could've, and probably should've, won it for us though, it's a legitimate tactic. But when you're forced to play like that, it says a lot really.

Against Bayern, BVB, Real & Barca this coming year, we'd have to do the same thing. I think City are stronger than us too, as well as Chelsea. Not sure how good Juve are compared to us, and PSG are pretty strong nowadays. Right now we're certainly not a force in the Champions League anyway. I think our midfield is worse than every single one of those teams, and that's a key area on the pitch.
    Very true.

Our transfer policy this summer should reflect this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.