Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I find it hard to not see bayern as big favourites after there demolition of barca last year..

not to mention R.Madrid just looked really suspect all the way through the last campaign.. they struggled against united.. lost one leg to galatasary, then were taken apart by dortmund, both in the group and knockout stages.. (a team which is a way behind bayern..)

I guess the only argument I can see for them being favourites this year, is that with a new manager, who wont disrupt the team, maybe they will be able to maintain a better cohesion and play as one..
    Yes, I admit Bayern were the best team last season. But a hammering doesn't mean one team is far superior. Also, to retreat back to my first link, a thread was created to ask everyone on who they thought would win the CL (just before Semi's). 17 said Madrid, 10 said Barca, 10 said Bayern and 4 said Dortmund.

Like I said, Barcelona hammered Real Madrid 5-0 in 2010. Next season, Madrid win the title. What happened to Barcelona being clear favourites to win the title?

I agree with exactly what Iniesta had to say after the Bayern slaughter.

"That is many years winning and fighting for everything. If you analyse five years in one [now two] game(s) against Munich it doesn't make any sense. For me, the end of an era is when years pass and you don't win titles"

I still fear Barcelona/Madrid more than Bayern. Knowing that at any moment Messi/Ronaldo could just end the tie is scary.

If I could pick a final for United out of Bayern, Madrid or Barca. I would pick Bayern. As I think we would stand the best chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I think this is a little unfair. Since Abramovich came in, we've probably had three big strikers - Drogba, Torres, and Shevchenko. Torres has been a colossal failure, but there were signs at Liverpool before he left that he was declining. Shevchenko was the same - past thirty and losing a lot of his attributes. Drogba was, of course, a colossal success. Aside from that, Nicolas Anelka had a pretty successful time with us (winning on PL Golden Boot), and Sturridge furthered his career with us, even if it's obvious he didn't fulfil his potential with us due to a surprising lack of opportunity. Others, like Claudio Pizarro and Mateja Kezman, were indeed awful, but were never designed to be starters. I'm sure now Drogba has left we'll see strikers start to flourish again.
    Where did Mutu play for Chelsea? I can't remember if he played on the wing or up front?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Where did Mutu play for Chelsea? I can't remember if he played on the wing or up front?
    A bit of both, I think. Saw him on the left wing and in the center. Oh, and Crespo wasn't the force he was in Italy, but he did okay given he didn't start all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Moyes is a complete amateur. I think he's on a hiding to nothing to be quite honest. I really wouldn't be surprised to see United finish 3rd. Saying **** like that about Rooney is just plain stupid, and would never be said by Fergie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    Moyes is a complete amateur. I think he's on a hiding to nothing to be quite honest. I really wouldn't be surprised to see United finish 3rd. Saying **** like that about Rooney is just plain stupid, and would never be said by Fergie.
    I am shocked that he said that, not exactly mending bridges but he obviously knows something we dont which is probably that rooneys off

ReputationRep:
    Moyes might have gleaned something from Rooney's behaviour to come out with those comments. His early comments were very complimentary towards Wayne ("He's in the best shape; "he can break goalscoring records"; "become a legend") and it was a tad surprising he was so open about what his role was but in a way, I'm glad he did. Him and Woodward to an extent are trying to nail down their authority rather than trying to woo a player who it seems, hasn't really shown privately from what we read, hear, that he wants to commit himself to stay and work hard. There comes a point when you have to show tough love when the other side aren't exactly reciprocating that love.

O.S Paul Stretford must be loving the fact that every media report have used his two catch words "angry & confused".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Great open interview with De gea.
    I wonder how De Gea felt about this

ReputationRep:
    Robin van Persie. Just a really classy footballer, comes across well in interviews, has the right attitude to the sport. He's just a really cool guy.

If you're uncomfortable with seeing topless men then don't click the spoiler as there is some abdominal action in the pics below.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    This rubbish surrounding Rooney has gone way too far, it should have been killed off as soon as Moyes came in but his confusing and contradictory statements have just worsened matters.

Rooney is easily in the top 10 players in the league and is one of the most important players at the club. I don't see how we can allow probably our best player to feel 'angered and confused' about his situation at the club, that to me is just awful player management. The £20m fee quoted in rumours should frankly be brushed off as offensive for a player of Rooney's quality.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United reject Chelsea bid for Wayne Rooney #SSN

And so it begins. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Manchester United reject Chelsea bid for Wayne Rooney #SSN

And so it begins. :beard:
    If it was Rooney +10mil for Mata then we should've taken it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    If it was Rooney +10mil for Mata then we should've taken it.
    People are reporting it was 10m plus the choice of Luiz or Mata. It's like everyone's gotten bored of trying to make their stories believable

ReputationRep:
    The media just love inventing these swap stories up. Chelsea probably just offered us some low-ball offer to get negotiations going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    People are reporting it was 10m plus the choice of Luiz or Mata. It's like everyone's gotten bored of trying to make their stories believable
    Its on BBC, I have to say I'd rate Mata over Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    Mata plus 10 million? Hahaha Mata will probably out perform rooney this year anyway he's improving and was one of chelsea's best players last season, bad deal for chelsea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Its on BBC, I have to say I'd rate Mata over Rooney.
    Just because it's on there, doesn't mean it's fact. I don't believe for a second Chelsea are trying to get rid of Mata, because he's very good. Regardless, Mourinho said only yesterday that he's not getting rid of anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Just because it's on there, doesn't mean it's fact. I don't believe for a second Chelsea are trying to get rid of Mata, because he's very good. Regardless, Mourinho said only yesterday that he's not getting rid of anyone.
    I hope its not true, maybe they offered us money and we only want Mata/Luiz + £10 mil for Rooney.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This transfer window keeps getting more and more hilarious. I'd drive Rooney there myself if it meant getting Mata but surely Chelsea aren't that stupid. Why on earth would they want rid of their best player from last season, and sell him to a domestic rival? and in what world are Mata and Luiz the same value?

ReputationRep:
    Rooney pissed off at Moyes comment.

Mourinho comments about the situation.

Of course the press were going to come up with this story.

ReputationRep:
    Now the next press conference is going to be about Rooney and not about Fabregas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.