The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6780
Original post by Zürich
was 130m officially a few months back but since then the club's banked season ticket renewals(quite a bit of money at 1,000 a pop x 40,000 + corporate boxes) and there are installments from various clubs for previous transfers(in Arsenal's case this is quite a lot of money...) so the its around 180m apparently. Even the interest AFC are earning must be substantial, at a modest 3% a year the club is 14m every 3 years in interest.

Maybe Messi is the exception. But the point stands that if Wenger doesnt sign a player, its not because he lacks the money, its because he thinks a 25m transfer is 500k too much or a 40m transfer is 1m too much...:rolleyes:

i cant believe you cant see whats going on..the board and wenger has hatched a plan after the newcastle victory to carry the feelings from that win on through the pre season and on to the new season to brainwash the fans.

it starts off with the victory at newcastle and claims after the match that next season will be different from past seasons. notice senior figures at arsenal citing huge things and change. "we can afford rooney" "Arsenal have big money to spend" and throughout pre season you got quotes from the arsenal players themselves saying that "cant wait for huge signings " "its about time we compete " "were ready for a title challenge". i feel sorry for you dude and all arsenal 'sheep' fans
Original post by KingMessi
Just out of interest, do you have a source for those figures?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/72e2d47e-7f71-11e2-8d96-00144feabdc0.html

FT from 6 months ago, the increase to 180m is just an educated guess based on season ticket renewal revenues(Arsenal taking more from this than any other club on earth) etc. To put it in context though:

Even this underestimates AFC's financial position as we've signed new Puma/Emirates deals that will increase revenue by 50m/season from 2014 whilst most other clubs are not renewing for years and wont see anywhere near such a large increase anyway as AFC hadnt renewed deals since 2006. In other words, there is absolutely no excuse for not spending big this summer.

Original post by cost
i cant believe you cant see whats going on..the board and wenger has hatched a plan after the newcastle victory to carry the feelings from that win on through the pre season and on to the new season to brainwash the fans.

it starts off with the victory at newcastle and claims after the match that next season will be different from past seasons. notice senior figures at arsenal citing huge things and change. "we can afford rooney" "Arsenal have big money to spend" and throughout pre season you got quotes from the arsenal players themselves saying that "cant wait for huge signings " "its about time we compete " "were ready for a title challenge". i feel sorry for you dude and all arsenal 'sheep' fans

See the above, Krone has never taken a penny out of Arsenal. All the money never spent has simply accumulated in the club's bank accounts and the club officially has a 'no dividend' policy...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

FT from 6 months ago, the increase to 180m is just an educated guess based on season ticket renewal revenues(Arsenal taking more from this than any other club on earth) etc. To put it in context though:

Do you know what they were last year/in previous years out of interest?
Original post by Zürich

Even this underestimates AFC's financial position as we've signed new Puma/Emirates deals that will increase revenue by 50m/season from 2014 whilst most other clubs are not renewing for years and wont see anywhere near such a large increase anyway as AFC hadnt renewed deals since 2006. In other words, there is absolutely no excuse for not spending big this summer.

See the above, Krone has never taken a penny out of Arsenal. All the money never spent has simply accumulated in the club's bank accounts and the club officially has a 'no dividend' policy...

Okay, thank you. Whatever the BBC now seem to think, sources are always ideal. :smile: Have you considered costs in that figure? Wages, contract renewals, running costs, taxes, player bonuses and the like?

I don't dispute you're in a strong financial position, though. It seems strange not to go for people like Jovetic and Higuain, they'd make such a difference.
With those figures I hope Arsenal win the league then. If not you can't blame it on much other incompetence by Wenger. After 8 years since the last trophy, you would think erring on the side of overspend rather than underachieve would be due, its not like he's got to put the club in a dangerous position to do so.

I think Moyes has go some work to do this window. Its been a car crash so far, he's managed to miss a golden opportunity, bid on a player it seems we or anyone else had zero chance of buying, and nearly lose one of our biggest names to a direct rival. I hope there is method in the madness, it going to be fuel for his critics if the season doesn't go smoothly.
It's going to be cesc I'm sure
Original post by ledleyking123

Don't put yourself through this again mate
Reply 6787

Disagree, im pretty sure its Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta and bale
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Don't put yourself through this again mate

SKy sports this time mate more reliable
Original post by manchesterunited15
They knew it would be rejected but wanted to appease the fans.

I've seen a few people say this now, I'm not sure why because it makes no sense what so ever. In what was is trolling the Arsenal fan base 'appeasing' them?! :lol:

Original post by DaveSmith99
Was never going to be accepted. It does look like the club have pulled out of deals for Jovetic and Higuain because they were too expensive though.

£30m would be enough to buy Higuain/Jovetic, if we went above that we'd be getting shafted, it's nothing to do with them being too expensive for Arsenal as a club to afford, because unless Madrid/Fio are asking for a ridiculous price then we can afford them on the basis that we are willing to go to at least £30m.

Honestly it seems like Arsenal can't win. The one time we are confirmed to have bidded £30m for a player people are still insistent that we won't pay those kinds of prices for players. You don't bid £30m unless you are serious, there's nothing to gain - absolutely categorically nothing in this instance - from bidding £30m for a player you don't want. Whether the bid was accepted or not is irrelevant, Arsenal thought that was an acceptable opening bid, saying that it was 'never going to be accepted' suggests that Arsenal bid just to appease the fans which, as I said, makes no sense.
They knew it would be rejected but wanted to appease the fans.

Just like the Man Utd bid for Cesc?
Original post by EmperorMustard
I've seen a few people say this now, I'm not sure why because it makes no sense what so ever. In what was is trolling the Arsenal fan base 'appeasing' them?! :lol:

Because a £30 million bid is better than nothing, and makes it look like Arsenal are prepared to spend on the best players in the world. But they knew it would be rejected. Why haven't they come back with a better offer?

Original post by sevchenko
Just like the Man Utd bid for Cesc?

Yes, exactly like it.
Aaaand the Modric rumours return
Because a £30 million bid is better than nothing, and makes it look like Arsenal are prepared to spend on the best players in the world. But they knew it would be rejected. Why haven't they come back with a better offer?

So as a fan you'd like a transfer window of false hope and broken dreams? Again, that makes no sense, there's no logic behind it. All that would do is piss people off, hell, we're even seeing that with you guys and your Cesc saga.

You don't know that they haven't. The only reason people know about the first bid is because a Liverpool executive came out and told everybody, Arsenal always keep their deals under wraps. It has been reported by some newspapers like the Guardian and Telegraph that Arsenal have gone higher, but truth is nobody really knows. It took a almost a week for the media to fully catch on to our initial bid.
Original post by EmperorMustard
So as a fan you'd like a transfer window of false hope and broken dreams?

Well that's what I'm getting so far :tongue:

Again, that makes no sense, there's no logic behind it. All that would do is piss people off, hell, we're even seeing that with you guys and your Cesc saga.

You don't know that they haven't. The only reason people know about the first bid is because a Liverpool executive came out and told everybody, Arsenal always keep their deals under wraps. It has been reported by some newspapers like the Guardian and Telegraph that Arsenal have gone higher, but truth is nobody really knows. It took a almost a week for the media to fully catch on to our initial bid.

Would it piss people off? I know I'd much rather go into next season without a single signing knowing that my team had at least attempted at buying a player rather than doing absolutely nothing. That's true they could've made an improved bid, we'll see.
Well that's what I'm getting so far :tongue:

Would it piss people off? I know I'd much rather go into next season without a single signing knowing that my team had at least attempted at buying a player rather than doing absolutely nothing. That's true they could've made an improved bid, we'll see.

Don't worry I know the feel, that's why I find it hard to get all excited these days and just have a general disdain for the transfer window :P

I was going on the basis that the bid wasn't serious i.e. Arsenal bidding £30m knowing it would be rejected, otherwise I would agree in part with what you are saying. :smile:
Reply 6796
The mirror 'reporting' that we're gunna bid 60mil for bale.. Would like to see happen if Roo leaves... Plus would solve our winger problem and Bale would be perfect when interchanging with Kags.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Legend

[video="youtube;97GbpNHGlTo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=97GbpNHGlTo#at=48[/video]

Arsene Wenger:

“Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona. Unless he has changed his mind. I don’t know. But that’s what I have been told. We have the clause in his contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that’s not something we are after.”
Reply 6799
Rumours of Bale and Modric... guess my ideas of them wasnt that stupid after all, if we sell rooney it can easily happen

Latest