Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    I'm not convinced Cabaye is a good choice, especially as a player to play alongside (rather than instead of) Carrick. With the pursuit of players like Fabregas, it would seem very much like a step down.
    I'm taking the piss out of the constant transfer rumours and pointless discussion/speculation, to be honest, and also the likely disappointment of getting the one or two world class players. I'm not suggesting these are my choices.

But Cabaye is a quality player when he's not playing in a team that, despite having some great talent, is asked to play hoofball.

ReputationRep:
    De Gea has produced some absolutely awesome saves in this game. Januzaj has also came close to scoring. Still 1-0 down though :/

ReputationRep:
    1-1 after an excellent run from Zaha and a simple finish from Lingard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    1-1 after an excellent run from Zaha and a simple finish from Lingard!
    great skill by Zaha.. am so tired of valencia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I'm taking the piss out of the constant transfer rumours and pointless discussion/speculation, to be honest, and also the likely disappointment of getting the one or two world class players. I'm not suggesting these are my choices.

But Cabaye is a quality player when he's not playing in a team that, despite having some great talent, is asked to play hoofball.
    I'm convinced that Utd will get one big name player this summer, though I'm not convinced that we wont be linked with half a dozen different midfield players, and at the end the big name player will be another striker.

A lot of Cabaye's drop in form was due to how awful Newcastle were, I agree. I'm not saying I would mind having him in the side, but I feel as though if he was the only CM signing for Utd this summer, that half a dozen better 'possible' signings had already been missed (though with so much rumour going around, it's hard to know who is a genuine target).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    If you are pursuing Cesc, pretty much everyone is a step down.
    Well I wouldn't be disappointed if after persuing Fabregas, Utd signed Modric or Gustavo or even Felliani (to name a few rumoured players who seem realistic enough signings).

ReputationRep:

There is something quite amusing about seeing the highs and lows of people expecting the transfer to come and then the player doesn't come *cough* ledley *cough.

Personally, I'm not too bothered if we were to get Cabaye or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    Well I wouldn't be disappointed if after persuing Fabregas, Utd signed Modric or Gustavo or even Felliani (to name a few rumoured players who seem realistic enough signings).
    Really? Fabregas to Fellaini would be a massive disappointment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Really? Fabregas to Fellaini would be a massive disappointment
    I rate Fellaini fairly highly, and the transfer would feel like progress considering the current options in Utd's midfield. I'm not saying he's quite at the level of Fabregas, but he's certainly one of the best midfield players in the Premiership.

ReputationRep:
    Fellaini is only being lauded as one of the best midfielders in the league based on his performances in an advanced AM position. I think we can do better for the DM role we would be playing him in.

ReputationRep:

I was actually thinking about Cabaye yesterday. How good is he defensively. Would be good if he's more aggressive and tenacious than carrick is. Personally there are enough players for you guys to buy tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Are you watching the game guys? our central midfield is poor.. this is the last time i want to see the Cleverly - Anderson partnership. I thinks the winger situation is much better than last season.. no more welbeck on the wing Zaha plays better on the wing IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    no more welbeck on the wing
    Remember that Rooney and Hernandez aren't there, and Kagawa has only just got there. We'll see where/if Welbeck starts once the squad is all together again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Because there is still a HUGE difference between Fabregas and Gundogan. Fabregas is Premier League proven, and a certified match-winner. He is someone that in my opinion, would be a huge step towards success in the league. As for Gotze, I thought he decided to go once Bayern activated his buy-out clause?
    (Original post by CB91)
    Bayern paid Gotze's release fee, they had no choice. The chances of Gundogan leaving are virtually nil tbh.
    Somehow I managed to miss that fact they had paid his release clause, I seem to remember being on a train when I heard about it so it might have just been in passing. I can't believe his clause was so low, usually they are just silly money. I did read Gundogan had a similar clause of ~£20m, it was denied by Dortmund, but I guess they have no obligation or reason to want it confirmed. Meh, perhaps they is the answer to my own question why we or anyone else hasn't made a move.

(Original post by Zerforax)
    Well that only works if the player actually wants to leave? Usually to a club he's a fan of or bigger club or more money.. but here Fabregas hasn't come out to say any of that (if anything, he did the opposite in the past by forcing a move to Barcelona).
    That is a basic principle of any transfer, you can't complete a move only you want, in private or public.

Agreed that every club would like to get a player like Fabregas but if after this protracted saga, the player stays at Barcelona then the club look silly to having chased him for weeks on end?
    I don't think keeping this quiet makes you look less silly, Arsenal never look silly in their pursuits? I think getting rejected by small fry perhaps, but not successfully acquiring a high profile player is hardly looking silly.

Tbh most high profile moves which are done publically are usually the player saying he wants to move or agents putting information into the public but rarely do you see a buying club say we've made a bid unless the player has basically told them he wants to move to them.
    I think that is what you are trying to achieve though, by making it public you switch the focus and people will start asking questions. The chances of a deal going through in private are minimal, if that is your strategy then most of time you are going to leave, not looking silly, but ultimately empty handed.

I can't imagine Fabregas has told the club he wants to leave after such a drama about going back to his boyhood club..?
    I can't, but unless he or Barca want it, the deal stands zero chance of ever happening. Moyes and United know that, so they must feel that one of those is true, that one of the parties is open to the move. Whether that is true is speculation.

I'm more interested to know who his other targets are, hopefully not Fellaini and Baines. I'm not really sure other than midfielder where we are short? As someone kept saying I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with an Everton player by the end of the window, wouldn't mind making of move on Ross Barkely.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: You guys have been absolutely disappointing today. I guess it's a weakened team and pre season friendlies don't mean much tbf. But it doesn't look too promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    :rofl: You guys have been absolutely disappointing today. I guess it's a weakened team and pre season friendlies don't mean much tbf. But it doesn't look too promising.
    Last game they looked pretty shocking too, the touches and just general creative flair just looked terrible.

ReputationRep:
    just watched the whole game and we were very poor, im not sold on moyes at all... im sure he will probably do well but he just comes across as a very negative manager

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    It wasn't that weak a team tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Not a good team performance today.

Although, Zaha and Januzaj played well again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.