Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Cannot see how Cesc warrants such a bid price tag of 40mil at 26, Madrid seem to be keen on Vidal which could give us a shot at Modric and Marchisio has also expressed a desire to come to us, and Gustavo seems to be heading out of Bayern, if Cesc doesn't want to leave Barca I see no reason why we should bid so high for him and make a fool out of our club.
    Vidal ain't going madrid. Juve won't let him go and madrid have bought illaramendi for 34 million. Meaning for the two DM spots they have alonso, modric, khedira and illaramendi and have just bought isco for the winger/AM spot so really a bid for vidal makes no sense.

Marchisio said he liked man united iirc but never said that he'd want to leave juve for united. Plus I reckon he'd play there till the end of his career like del piero anyway. Gustavo is a good one though. With the decreased gametime(unless martinez plays CB and he sells 2/3 CBs) he'd defo want to be there for the worldcup, add the fact that sandro will be fit and competing for that position and lucas potentially he'd be looking over his shoulder and would want gametime. Gustavo would be a good player but a Box to box player like vidal/marchisio quality would be more important imo.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot see how Cesc warrants such a bid price tag of 40mil at 26, Madrid seem to be keen on Vidal which could give us a shot at Modric and Marchisio has also expressed a desire to come to us, and Gustavo seems to be heading out of Bayern, if Cesc doesn't want to leave Barca I see no reason why we should bid so high for him and make a fool out of our club.
    Why should we bid so high for Cesc? Because he's one of the best players in the world. Top 10 in my book.

If hypothetically Vidal went to Real Madrid, no way Juventus would let go of Marchisio too.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Gustavo currently negotiating with another German club?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Why should we bid so high for Cesc? Because he's one of the best players in the world. Top 10 in my book.
    This.

Yeah, he's 26 but he's got everything to be able to slot straight in to any team. If anyone could buy him now and keep him going for 6 years, it's good value in my book.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Ok.

I have said for a long time (outside TSR) that Man Utd need a top class CM to take them to the next level. I know a lot of you guys feel the same way.

But how many new CMs do you want? And what type of CM(s) would you like at Man Utd?
    Well we only really have Carrick in CM and Cleverly who's fairly average but can be a decent squad player. Anderson is our only other proper CM and he's useless. We should be looking at bringing in a DM and a more creative CM. We have Powell as well who I'd like to see get a bit of game time in the carling cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Isn't Gustavo currently negotiating with another German club?
    I don't know why we wouldn't be in for him if he's on the move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Well we only really have Carrick in CM and Cleverly who's fairly average but can be a decent squad player. Anderson is our only other proper CM and he's useless. We should be looking at bringing in a DM and a more creative CM. We have Powell as well who I'd like to see get a bit of game time in the carling cup.
    Agreed. If you could have gotten Fabregas, it would have been perfect for Man Utd (MU). I feel MU have needed a CM who has creativity and can help the team keep possession.

A mobile DM with a physical presence in the midfield and the ability to play possession football would be helpful in games where you don't want to be overrun in midfield. Especially considering Carrick isn't the most mobile of midfielders.

We'll see whether Moyes addresses the problem eventually or not.

How do you feel about Kagawa? I thought Rooney might leave, meaning that Kaga would be able to play in his best position (CAM). But since Rooney's staying, I imagine Moyes would start him more often than Kaga in the CAM/SS position unfortunately.

How can Kaga fit into MU? Can he start on the left wing and interchange with Rooney during the match? Should Moyes change MU's football to fit Kagawa's game more? And I imagine Kaga's type of football would suit RVP a lot.

What about Hernandez? I think he's a good striker and I'm a tad upset that RVP's arrival pushed him out of the first XI. Should he be loaned to another club to improve his game, rather than wasting time on the bench? Or do you think he'll get a lot of games in cup tournaments and against weak teams in the PL?

Also, who would you prefer as a striker? Hernandez or Welbeck? And why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Vidal ain't going madrid. Juve won't let him go and madrid have bought illaramendi for 34 million. Meaning for the two DM spots they have alonso, modric, khedira and illaramendi and have just bought isco for the winger/AM spot so really a bid for vidal makes no sense.

Marchisio said he liked man united iirc but never said that he'd want to leave juve for united. Plus I reckon he'd play there till the end of his career like del piero anyway. Gustavo is a good one though. With the decreased gametime(unless martinez plays CB and he sells 2/3 CBs) he'd defo want to be there for the worldcup, add the fact that sandro will be fit and competing for that position and lucas potentially he'd be looking over his shoulder and would want gametime. Gustavo would be a good player but a Box to box player like vidal/marchisio quality would be more important imo.
    Alonso is wanting a move I believe which could cause Madrid to go all out for Vidal. If Moyes or Wenger let Gustavo go to Wolfsburg it'll be ridiculous work by both of them, even Chelsea could do with Gustavo rather than De Rossi.

If hypothetically Vidal went to Real Madrid, no way Juventus would let go of Marchisio too.
    I don't see what he's done at Barca so well to warrant him in the top 10, he was class at Arsenal with a pass completion rate of 89% but hasn't produced performances of similar caliber at Barca consistently, Modric however was really good for Real once he settled in the second half of the season and if Vidal goes to Madrid he would be available for maybe 10mil cheaper than Cesc plus Ancelloti may prefer Kaka over him due to their previous relationship. Dunno would be over the moon with Cesc but Barca don't need/want to sell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Agreed. If you could have gotten Fabregas, it would have been perfect for Man Utd (MU). I feel MU have needed a CM who has creativity and can help the team keep possession.

A mobile DM with a physical presence in the midfield and the ability to play possession football would be helpful in games where you don't want to be overrun in midfield. Especially considering Carrick isn't the most mobile of midfielders.

How do you feel about Kagawa? I thought Rooney might leave, meaning that Kaga would be able to play in his best position (CAM). But since Rooney's staying, I imagine Moyes would start him more often than Kaga in the CAM/SS position unfortunately.

How can Kaga fit into MU? Can he start on the left wing and interchange with Rooney during the match? Should Moyes change MU's football to fit Kagawa's game more? And I imagine Kaga's type of football would suit RVP a lot.

What about Hernandez? I think he's a good striker and I'm a tad upset that RVP's arrival pushed him out of the first XI. Should he be loaned to another club to improve his game, rather than wasting time on the bench? Or do you think he'll get a lot of games in cup tournaments and against weak teams in the PL?

I really like Kagawa and I think he can be a great player for us, I think Rooney will be leaving but even if he doesn't I'd prefer him to be benched for Kagawa anyway. I love Hernandez but he's not good enough to be our main striker and he never will be, he's too limited. He's on low wages, has a fantastic record coming off the bench and seems to be very happy to play that role, loaning him out would be crazy. I prefer him to Welbeck who needs to sort out his goal scoring out, if he doens't then I don't think he will be much more than a utility player for us.

ReputationRep:
    Alonso is wanting a move I believe which could cause Madrid to go all out for Vidal. If Moyes or Wenger let Gustavo go to Wolfsburg it'll be ridiculous work by both of them, even Chelsea could do with Gustavo rather than De Rossi.
    Na, alonso is in the last year of his contract. Considering his age etc. I don't think Madrid will sell and would rather let his contract run down or offer an extension deal. Pretty much every team would do with gustavo I know thiago's a good player but I don't see why he was needed and why they'd get rid of gustavo in order to fit the man in the side. Especially since gustavo can also play at left back. Arsenal need him more than you tbh but he would be a good buy for pretty much every PL club bar city.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Kagawa and I think he can be a great player for us, I think Rooney will be leaving but even if he doesn't I'd prefer him to be benched for Kagawa anyway.
    Ok. We'll see.
    I love Hernandez but he's not good enough to be our main striker and he never will be, he's too limited. He's on low wages, has a fantastic record coming off the bench and seems to be very happy to play that role, loaning him out would be crazy.
    You see...I'm not sure about this. I keep hearing that Javier is limited. But in what way? It's not like he's severely limited.

He does the main job required of a striker, which is to put the ball in the back of net. Just ask Chelsea fans. Even when Torres was providing many assists, they were still slamming Torres for not scoring enough goals.

Javier's ball control is ok. He can hold up the ball reasonably well at times and bring others into play. I admit he has weaknesses and he's nowhere near the finished article. But if you give him experience, he'll be able to develop other aspects of his game to make him a better all round striker.

RVP didn't become as great as he is now just like that. He got experience, developed and refined different aspects of his game to become the top class striker he is now. I'm not saying Hernandez will ever be like RVP. But if he can get experience to improve other aspects of his game and refines his goal-scoring ability, he can be a world class striker, capable of replacing RVP when he retires.

You're entitled to disagree. But I get frustrated at Javier's lack of game time due to his role as a super sub or starting a few games against weak teams. He's got potential to be a world class striker. He should be getting more game time imo.

I prefer him to Welbeck who needs to sort out his goal scoring out, if he doens't then I don't think he will be much more than a utility player for us.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Ok. We'll see.

You see...I'm not sure about this. I keep hearing that Javier is limited. But in what way? It's not like he's severely limited.

He does the main job required of a striker, which is to put the ball in the back of net. Just ask Chelsea fans. Even when Torres was providing many assists, they were still slamming Torres for not scoring enough goals.

Javier's ball control is ok. He can hold up the ball reasonably well at times and bring others into play. I admit he has weaknesses and he's nowhere near the finished article. But if you give him experience, he'll be able to develop other aspects of his game to make him a better all round striker.

RVP didn't become as great as he is now just like that. He got experience, developed and refined different aspects of his game to become the top class striker he is now. I'm not saying Hernandez will ever be like RVP. But if he can get experience to improve other aspects of his game and refines his goal-scoring ability, he can be a world class striker, capable of replacing RVP when he retires.

You're entitled to disagree. But I get frustrated at Javier's lack of game time due to his role as a super sub or starting a few games against weak teams. He's got potential to be a world class striker. He should be getting more game time imo.

Agreed.
    Hernandez is brilliant in the box but isn't much good outside of it (although he showed small improvements to his allround game last season), he's a classic 18 yard box goal poacher. A lot of the time it looks like you're playing with 10 men outside the box with Hernandez. It's his runs, his finishing and his aerial ability that make him such a good striker.

ReputationRep:
    Hernandez is brilliant in the box but isn't much good outside of it (although he showed small improvements to his allround game last season), he's a classic 18 yard box goal poacher. A lot of the time it looks like you're playing with 10 men outside the box with Hernandez. It's his runs, his finishing and his aerial ability that make him such a good striker.
    That is why I loved Van Nistelrooy. He'll always be remembered for his finishing inside the box, but his hold-up play when United were setting up attacks was just :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I know.

But what I'm saying is that with some coaching and some experience, he can develop other aspects of his game to become a better rounded striker.

And to be fair, when you're a playing a formation like 4-4-1-1, whereby it's supposed to be the CAM/SS who pulls the strings, all you really need of your striker is a fox in the box who will finish off your moves. But I agree it's better to have a striker who has other aspects to his game besides scoring goals.

And I believe Hernandez can get that with experience and coaching.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Sky saying he's considering his future and they have been very reliable

ReputationRep:
    That is why I loved Van Nistelrooy. He'll always be remembered for his finishing inside the box, but his hold-up play when United were setting up attacks was just :coma:
    Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddd!!!

I always loved it when the fans did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    I know.

But what I'm saying is that with some coaching and some experience, he can develop other aspects of his game to become a better rounded striker.

And to be fair, when you're a playing a formation like 4-4-1-1, whereby it's supposed to be the CAM/SS who pulls the strings, all you really need of your striker is a fox in the box who will finish off your moves. But I agree it's better to have a striker who has other aspects to his game besides scoring goals.

And I believe Hernandez can get that with experience and coaching.

What do you think?
    It's possible, he's still young and has a fantastic attitude. I think him and Kagawa could work really nicely together once Kagawa gets going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)

I don't think Hernandez should go out on loan at all. He's spent quite a bit of time on the bench yet when he is brought on, he's usually as sharp as he usually is, which is deadly sharp. Nevertheless SAF did actually give him a decent playing time after RVP came in my opinion.

For your last question, Hernandez no doubt. Welbeck has the finishing ability of a plug socket which is especially bad since he's supposed to be a striker. He's also selfish as well so if he thinks he can score he won't pass so of course with his impeccable finishing ability, no goal results.
    Hernandez does what a striker is supposed to do - score, and he does a lot of it. Yeah, maybe he hasn't got as much energy and strength as Welbeck but you then you can see that even though Hernandez doesn't have those 2 qualities, he's still much better at his job than Welbeck.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, he's still young and has a fantastic attitude. I think him and Kagawa could work really nicely together once Kagawa gets going.
    Yeah. With Hernandez's movement and runs, he and Kagawa would have a field day. I can imagine a lot of eye-pleasing 1-2s between them and Kagawa splitting defences to set up Javier.

What about your wingers? They were awful last season lol.

Who would you prefer to start on the wings? Is there anyone you would like to sell?

I personally would be looking to sell Valencia, if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Yeah. With Hernandez's movement and runs, he and Kagawa would have a field day. I can imagine a lot of eye-pleasing 1-2s between them and Kagawa splitting defences to set up Javier.

What about your wingers? They were awful last season lol.

Who would you prefer to start on the wings? Is there anyone you would like to sell?

I personally would be looking to sell Valencia, if I can.
    I'd keep Valencia just because of how absolutely devastating he was the year before last, and he has a good attitude and will be on lowish wages. I'd keep Nani as well as he can be fantastic and can play on both flanks, he wasn't really given a consistent run of games last season which always makes it harder. I'd get rid of Young if I could pick one to go, but with his wages I doubt we'd be able to find a buyer.

Zaha looks like he has everything he needs to be an incredible player.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.