Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    It's shaping up to be an epic season
    The thing is with Chelsea getting Jose back, City spending 100mil, Spurs making crucial signings, all 3 of them have move forwards, whereas we have gone backwards in terms of SAF to Moyes, I'm unsure about Arsenal as even if they do sign Suarez, the lad is such a nut case that he could cause rifts in the side and miss a significant part of the season and leave them stranded. The positives for us is that De Gea finished the season brilliantly, Kagawa looked to have settled in the PL at the end of last season and was showing us what Klopp was talking about, and Nani, Valencia and Young can only move forwards from last season. I'm very excited to see what Moyes does with Nani if he gives him a chance. If we get Fellaini though it'll help our midfield out.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, Wenger's biggest fault
    There's a reason why he has 180m in the bank, he doesnt get ripped off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    The thing is with Chelsea getting Jose back, City spending 100mil, Spurs making crucial signings, all 3 of them have move forwards, whereas we have gone backwards in terms of SAF to Moyes, I'm unsure about Arsenal as even if they do sign Suarez, the lad is such a nut case that he could cause rifts in the side and miss a significant part of the season and leave them stranded. The positives for us is that De Gea finished the season brilliantly, Kagawa looked to have settled in the PL at the end of last season and was showing us what Klopp was talking about, and Nani, Valencia and Young can only move forwards from last season. I'm very excited to see what Moyes does with Nani if he gives him a chance. If we get Fellaini though it'll help our midfield out.
    It's true they have all improved, but they have to improve to make up that 11 point gap. It's interesting though because depending on how the rest of the transfer window goes, we could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th. That hasn't been the case for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    There's a reason why he has 180m in the bank, he doesnt get ripped off.
    He also doesn't win anything - it's just modern football that you sometimes have to pay slightly more than you really want to.

We actually have quite a lot of people who can play centre midfield. The problem Is a lack of quality
      Carrick - wrong side of 30
      Giggs - probably retiring next summer
      Jones - centre isn't his preferred position
      Cleverley - not at his potential yet
      Anderson - doesn't have a future at united
      Fletcher - wont be the same as a few years ago
      Powell - one for the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      He also doesn't win anything - it's just modern football that you sometimes have to pay slightly more than you really want to.
      Have to remember that the new stadium forced him to become tight as well. He's always had to sell to buy since 2004, before then he was able and willing to bring in players who were probably overpriced like Wiltord for 12m who still made a big impace. Still hopeful he'll revert to that this summer with Suarez etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Miller290596)
      We actually have quite a lot of people who can play centre midfield. The problem Is a lack of quality
      Carrick - wrong side of 30
      Giggs - probably retiring next summer
      Jones - centre isn't his preferred position
      Cleverley - not at his potential yet
      Anderson - doesn't have a future at united
      Fletcher - wont be the same as a few years ago
      Powell - one for the future

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Cleverley's turning 24 in 2 weeks, I don't think he'll improve much more tbh

Cleverley's turning 24 in 2 weeks, I don't think he'll improve much more tbh
        I put those it order of ability but I'd switch Anderson & Fletcher around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        Cleverley is a good player, just needs to polish his game up a bit

Carrick & Cleverley/Giggs to be the starting duo if we don't sign anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by NathanW18)
          Depends on the signings. I refuse to believe that we go through this window and don't sign a midfielder (we really need two), but we need some quality. If we're going to sign an average midfielder, then there's no point in bothering. I keep seeing people say, "Who would you prefer: Average player A or B?" People are trying their best to see the positives in signing somebody that would barely improve us. It's sad.

If we made at least one decent midfield signing, I'd have more hope for next season.
          Agreed. :yy:

I would love to see them buy Arturo Vidal from Juventus. He's a defensive midfielder who could win the ball and supply Carrick to use the ball. That's his job at Juventus but he wins the ball for Pirlo to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Miller290596)
            I would love to see them buy Arturo Vidal from Juventus. He's a defensive midfielder who could win the ball and supply Carrick to use the ball. That's his job at Juventus but he wins the ball for Pirlo to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Vidal isnt a defensive midfielder at all. Youve never seen him play have you? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Zürich)
            Difference is RVP doesnt give a **** who he plays for and that AFC had no leg to stand on with his contract situation(still 24m for a 29y old in his last year was a great price tbf) whereas neither Barca/Cesc want to talk to Utd. There's also David Moyes.
            At least Moyes is trying to bring in a midfielder, I don't think the Cesc saga was embarrassing, he's a top player and we wanted him so went for him, so what he didn't come thats football, we don't see Barca coming out and laughing at us but saying its a complement for them that a club of our nature want their player, I'd rather Moyes went out and bided for players like Cesc, Modric, Gundogan, Vidal and get rejected than accepting that they're not available/too expensive and accept mediocracy. We don't do that on the pitch, we always fight for a win on the pitch even if it means we may lose 6-1 when 10 men down, buts its because of that attitude we're the only british team to win the treble because we don't accept defeat on the pitch, and its about time we show some of that attitude with our transfers.

ReputationRep:
            Moyes:

"I couldn't tell you if there will be another bid [for Fabregas],"

"I never at any time said I knew we would get him. We will take stock and consider what we are going to do next."

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23482131

I have to say Moyes seems like the most clueless manager ever. The bid for Fabregas was horrendous. We're as likely to get him as Man City is to get Rooney. It's a stupid, stupid bid in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
            SAF was able to entice big name players to the club on the back of the success he had as a manager, i.e winning trophies on consistent basis over a number of years. Moyes hasn't won at all, not with us aswell so it's ludicrous to suggest that player will be coming in spite of him. The hard work SAF did over the 26 years has allowed the club name to be used as an attractive proposition to prospective player and atm, for reasons beyond Moyes' control, that is what is going to be used to bring players in. Hopefully once things settle and Moyes starts winning trophies then it'll help to bring players in on a more personal level ("I can do this for you etc) and create a bond whereas atm, he's probably going to have to use the club's history alot more. That's probably expected when a new manager comes in who hasn't had success.

In regards to the title, I don't think we'll win it but I expect us to be in and there abouts, competing for it, maybe in the end changing the direction of the title race (if we don't win it, we could help decide where it does go) but I think Moyes will do well in the domestic cups (FA Cup win would be lovely).

If you ignore all the hullaballoo over the transfer stories - I'm excited about the new season with Moyes and the season in general. Zaha, Januzaj, De Gea, Kagawa are all reasons why I'm optimistic, regardless of signings.

I'm more intrigued by how Moyes develops relationships with his players. SAF seemed to handle that side to a tee whereas with Moyes, he's always seemed fair, a taskmaster, but not sure whether he can develop those close personal relationships that SAF had and being able to get the players (the younger ones especially) on his side. I guess it will come with time but hope by giving them opportunities (Zaha over Valencia, Adnan to get more opportunities) that those relationships develop.
            • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Dobbyisafreeelf)
            [/I]YNWA
            Giggs 13 Gerrard 0

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by qasidb)
            I have to say Moyes seems like the most clueless manager ever. The bid for Fabregas was horrendous. We're as likely to get him as Man City is to get Rooney. It's a stupid, stupid bid in my opinion.
            That's a very OTT reaction tbh, in regards to the "clueless" comment. If that was the case, he wouldn't be in this job.

It's easy to get carried away but if you take a rational look at the whole situation, there's diffferent strands that have combined to make the transfer seems as ridiculous as it sounds.

Moyes takes over and I think the club probably wanted to back him but more importantly, show him that so they say he can buy Fabregas, Ronaldo - whatever he needs. The latter could be costly and the midfield does need sorting so he goes for Fab, who it seems he's admired from a distance. They make two bids (which were not, in the case of Liverpool/Arsenal over Suarez, rejected instantly) and possibly with some agent giving them a not so 100% representation of Fabregas' thoughts on what he wants to do, probably further encouraged them. Then stories emerge that Fab maybe looking at this options, including staying at Barca further gives confidence to Moyes/Woodward but that's finally been finished with Martino's comments.

It's frustrating especially when the midfield department needs heck of investment but transfers, of this magnitude, aren't as simple.

The only thing I would put at Moyes' door is managerial naiveity that they'd be able to lure him but again, I feel they've been led down the garden-path by someone who may have given a wrong impression that the deal maybe be possible.

ReputationRep:
            Had a dream that United drew 2-2 against Chelsea in our first home game. We went behind twice, only for Carrick the save us twice. The second equaliser coming in stoppage time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...dly-match.html

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by doggyfizzel)
            6 and 7th isn't midtable that solid form behind the top sides, there are 20 sides midtable is in and around 10th. He, SAF, Jose, none of them would be able to break the top with his squad, you can see how hard Spurs are finding it with a significant spend. The fact he can get 6th and 7th means most of the time he's winning, he's able to beat the team below him, and he's played some good game in the last couple of seasons against the top sides. Everton dropped points, but generally thats what happens when the squad is too small, United finish strongly because SAF is able to rotate and does so a lot. At Everton Moyes has to rely on the same players as he's got a limited pool of capable players, he's not Mancini bring Aguero off the bench, not SAF bringing on Chica, he's bringing Naismith. His ability to cope with injuries and fatigue is not the same as any of the teams above him. Again, its common sense he's going to approach big games conservatively Everton don't have the weapons to beat the top sides, which is why expecting top 4 from him is just stupid, it like complaining Chelsea played negatively against Barca, you play positive football when you can and play smart when you can't. He played a bit more positively last season as he had Fellaini who he could use aggressively, Baines and Pienaar. He's got some pressure, but I don't think its Mancini levels of pressure, most people seem to think United only have a top 4 squad, so he's hardly expected to deliver the title. I think he's a step down from SAF, but personally, I don't think there are any manager that wouldn't have been a step down from the greatest club manager in the PL history and the stability we had. That said, I don't think he's this bumbling fool people are making out that changes our fortunes drasitcally. Top 4 will be substantially closer if Arsenal get a striker too. United may well end up in a top 4 scrap, but I just don't think "Moyes has never been top 4" is a good reasoning for that prediction.

I don't think RVP will have a serious dip, he might not hit the same figures but his game is pretty consistent, he's looks at the peak of his career. I think he'll still hit 15+ league goals. Even with a few less, Rooney had a poor season, Welbeck was abysmal, as were Nani and Young, Shinji only played well in the second half but still was a step down from his German form, Hernandez didn't play enough but was on form. I think we'll see more goals from elsewhere in the forward line this season, I don't think RVP will be under the same pressure to score as many regardless of whether he does. Not to mention, I don't think we'll be shipping goals like the start of last season.
            Perhaps, we can speculate but we will just have to see, that's the beauty of opinion. He may do well and he may not.
            Didn't say Moyes is a bad manager I just think he's good at getting a certain thing and that is 7th/6th place. As to whether he has the ability for a title run is questionable and thus people are questioning it and why most predict it will be a top 4 scrap opposed to last years cruise- which is in most cases a good thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.