Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Why do people always want Kags on the left?? Here's an idea put Rooney on the left... Let Kags grow in his preferred position... Not accommodate an attention money grabbing person like Wayne Rooney.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rooney on the left wouldn't work as well as it used to, he's lost pace and his work rate while good isn't what it used to be. What I'd like to see though is the two interchanging positions during the match reckon if you could get them two and van persie linking up well then I'd pray for premier league defenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    That article is bull ****, it praises City to spend 30mil on Fernandinho but says that Fabregas is just a glamour signing for us at the same price, has he seen our midfield compared to City. Also it praises Bayern for taking a hostilic approach, but they spent lots last season on Martinez and unnecessarily brought Thiago and Gotze this year.
    Tbh bayern bought sensibly last year and buying martinez, shaqiri and dante won them the treble for a reason(even if shaqiri didn't get loads of games). This year they've only bought luxury signings, I could see a need for gotze, weakening your rivals, strengthening your winger depth if kroos is injured if they but I struggle to see the need for thiago bar the rationale that 'guardiola thinks he's a good player'

Bayern last season were a perfect example of team harmony. Man city have bought smartly personally. They know what they're doing. He did say in the article
    Theirs has been a calm, coherent spree. Perhaps, given the determined Luddism that still governs large parts of English footballing culture, "holistic" wasn't the wisest choice of words, but as others snatch at stars, they have taken a major step towards the harmonious style that has brought success to Barcelona and Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeIBD)
    Also I don't recall how his relationship was with Moyes when he left Everton?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It took a downward spiral when he left with a book he published that was critical of Moyes, the latter sued Rooney and eventually came to a settlement and the pair resolved their differences. It seems that is in the past but the discussions already had, and yet to be had on Rooney's future, suggests their renewed relationship might be put to the test again.

Rooney in midfield won't happen as he wants the number nine role. He did OK in that midfield position on a temporary basis when we lacked numbers or depth in quality but atm, don't see him as that role. If he stays, and he matures (mentally) to realise he can contribute deeper as he gets older then for sure but not atm. We shouldn't be shifting players into the midfield role because we've been unable to solve the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh bayern bought sensibly last year and buying martinez, shaqiri and dante won them the treble for a reason(even if shaqiri didn't get loads of games). This year they've only bought luxury signings, I could see a need for gotze, weakening your rivals, strengthening your winger depth if kroos is injured if they but I struggle to see the need for thiago bar the rationale that 'guardiola thinks he's a good player'

Bayern last season were a perfect example of team harmony. Man city have bought smartly personally. They know what they're doing. He did say in the article
    Weakening your opponents is not always the best idea when the league becomes too easy, imagine if Bayern get knocked out of CL in the QF and are 15 points ahead of their closest rival, players get bored and want to go to a more competitive league, one of the reason Ronaldo left us, we had won 3 PL titles in a row and if he had been here you'd have to guarantee we wouldn't have lost the title by a point against Chelsea and by goal difference against City, that would've meant 7 PL titles in a row. Gotze and Thiago could harm the development of Kroos and Shaqiri as well as anger Robben/Ribery/Muller due to lack of playing time, Martinez will also not be to happy with having to play at CB and that can also cause a rift with the current CB. One was a reasonable buy but buying both seems greedy.

City have improved their squad and tactical opposition but for 100mil they haven't exactly improved their starting 11 much, especially when you consider Tevez leaving

ReputationRep:
    That article is bull ****, it praises City to spend 30mil on Fernandinho but says that Fabregas is just a glamour signing for us at the same price, has he seen our midfield compared to City. Also it praises Bayern for taking a hostilic approach, but they spent lots last season on Martinez and unnecessarily brought Thiago and Gotze this year.

The couple of comments I made about the article in the original post didn't show up for some reason.

Firstly, I'm not 100% sure of the quality of the city signings this summer, sure all of them have good records in their respective leagues before city but they might just as easily flop in the premier league as we see with so players coming from abroad who just can't handle the prem. I really doubt (and I'm praying I don't get proven wrong here) that they're gonna set the premier league alight like the likes of silva/aguero/toure did. But it surely is a step in the right direction for them rather than splurging money on players they don't need and breaking every financial FairPlay regulation as they used to. Obviously I don't like that they've become more sensible but well done to them I guess. Just will have to see if the players will live up to expectations.

As for bayern, I agree with everything jam has said above. Martinez although overpriced was brilliant last season and he did a job for them also there wasn't a massive transfer saga and he isn't really a 'glamour' signing as such, compared to falcao, cavani etc. I think with Thiago, Pep just wanted to 'make his mark' on the team because Thiago knows Pep and understands his philosophy etc and he wants that to grow within the bayern players. I guess you could call that a glamour signing if you like. Also I think Thiago is long term for them and is going to replace some players who are going to be past their best in a couple of years but obviously Pep doesn't want to sell those players to their rivals yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Weakening your opponents is not always the best idea when the league becomes too easy, imagine if Bayern get knocked out of CL in the QF and are 15 points ahead of their closest rival, players get bored and want to go to a more competitive league, one of the reason Ronaldo left us, we had won 3 PL titles in a row and if he had been here you'd have to guarantee we wouldn't have lost the title by a point against Chelsea and by goal difference against City, that would've meant 7 PL titles in a row. Gotze and Thiago could harm the development of Kroos and Shaqiri as well as anger Robben/Ribery/Muller due to lack of playing time, Martinez will also not be to happy with having to play at CB and that can also cause a rift with the current CB. One was a reasonable buy but buying both seems greedy.

City have improved their squad and tactical opposition but for 100mil they haven't exactly improved their starting 11 much, especially when you consider Tevez leaving
    Probably yes. I wouldn't say that it was a lack of a challenge why ronaldo left you guys. If we actually look at the three seasons, you won by 6 points the first season, the next season you won by 2 and it was decided on the final day but would have probably won it on goal difference(stupid bolton didn't want to concede 10 goals ) and the third season you won by 4 points.

If madrid didn't come calling (would leave chelsea for madrid if I had the chance tbh) then I guarantee he would have stayed, also think it was slightly a money thing. He knew he was going to get big boy wages there, an agent payoff too so.
    Bayern's signings
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like I said, bayerns signings this season would have been great if he only bought thiago or only bought gotze but theres no need for both. Kroos is the finished product tbh He can play anywhere in midfield, probably could play false 9 too with the mans intelligence so there's no problem with him, I don't know about robben don't see any suitors for him though.

With city they spent a lot but tbh they didn't need to improve their starting 11 ratings wise. If they did then you'd be talking about them buying thiago silva. They bought what they needed and the squad is currently good enough to win the CL imo. I think we'll be seeing them in the latter stages this year if a guy like pellegrini got malaga 1 min away from a CL semi final then I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets man city there.

ReputationRep:
    Probably yes. I wouldn't say that it was a lack of a challenge why ronaldo left you guys. If we actually look at the three seasons, you won by 6 points the first season, the next season you won by 2 and it was decided on the final day but would have probably won it on goal difference(stupid bolton didn't want to concede 10 goals ) and the third season you won by 4 points.

If madrid didn't come calling (would leave chelsea for madrid if I had the chance tbh) then I guarantee he would have stayed, also think it was slightly a money thing. He knew he was going to get big boy wages there, an agent payoff too so.
    Bayern's signings
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like I said, bayerns signings this season would have been great if he only bought thiago or only bought gotze but theres no need for both. Kroos is the finished product tbh He can play anywhere in midfield, probably could play false 9 too with the mans intelligence so there's no problem with him, I don't know about robben don't see any suitors for him though.

With city they spent a lot but tbh they didn't need to improve their starting 11 ratings wise. If they did then you'd be talking about them buying thiago silva. They bought what they needed and the squad is currently good enough to win the CL imo. I think we'll be seeing them in the latter stages this year if a guy like pellegrini got malaga 1 min away from a CL semi final then I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets man city there.
    I don't think Ronaldo would've stayed if RM hadn't come calling because he just looked so bored the last season he was here at points, kind of like he right know at Madrid at points. I think the competition of barca/messi brought new life into him and made him a better player, don't think he'd been as good as he is now if he had stayed with us. I don't think it was for the money, as he was young and we would've matched Madrid if he wanted to stay, though you could be right about the agent pay off.

Agree about the signings but wouldn't call Kroos a finished product yet, plus Kroos/Gotze/Thiago/Muller/Martinez/Gustavo are all hoping to get into the world cup whereas their competition for a spot such as Reus/Ozil & Cesc/Mata are guaranteed more playing time, which will cause someone to be unhappy at least.

Calculating the strength of City starting 11 is difficult, we don't really know if players like Silva/Hart/Toure/Kompany/Aguero overachieved in 11/12 or underachieved last year, plus upfront they're not as scary as they once were IMO, Tevez coming back revived their title challenge in 11/12 and is better than Jovetic, and out of the 5 above I only think Aguero will significantly improve. Though agree about Pellegrini improving them in the CL, though due to their rep with Uefa they could get a tough group again, but if they get into the knockout stages I expect them to do well.

ReputationRep:
    Sky proper quiet about fabregas these days. We really do need to make another bid

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Ronaldo would've stayed if RM hadn't come calling because he just looked so bored the last season he was here at points, kind of like he right know at Madrid at points. I think the competition of barca/messi brought new life into him and made him a better player, don't think he'd been as good as he is now if he had stayed with us. I don't think it was for the money, as he was young and we would've matched Madrid if he wanted to stay, though you could be right about the agent pay off.

Agree about the signings but wouldn't call Kroos a finished product yet, plus Kroos/Gotze/Thiago/Muller/Martinez/Gustavo are all hoping to get into the world cup whereas their competition for a spot such as Reus/Ozil & Cesc/Mata are guaranteed more playing time, which will cause someone to be unhappy at least.

Calculating the strength of City starting 11 is difficult, we don't really know if players like Silva/Hart/Toure/Kompany/Aguero overachieved in 11/12 or underachieved last year, plus upfront they're not as scary as they once were IMO, Tevez coming back revived their title challenge in 11/12 and is better than Jovetic, and out of the 5 above I only think Aguero will significantly improve. Though agree about Pellegrini improving them in the CL, though due to their rep with Uefa they could get a tough group again, but if they get into the knockout stages I expect them to do well.
    Ronaldo
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Personally I don't agree with the first paragraph. Mainly because ramos calderon said that ronaldo was a madrid player the last season in a revista de la liga interview and he told them that they signed an agreement the season before he left for real.how ronaldo left That's most likely why he was bored, because he knew he was madrid bound. Not because of the lack of competition. I'd say mourinho made him a better player because he moved him from Right wing to left wing and the fact that he's in a less physically demanding league meant that he'd score a bucket load of goals. Also I'd say that he's not as flairy as he used to be at united but more effective. Similar to lionel messi when he changed to a false 9 he's more lazy but more effective on the ball.

Kroos/world cup
    Spoiler:
    Show
    True with the world cup spot argument. Kroos did get a lot of games and can play in all positions, I guess he could still improve, but he's got one of the best passing rates in europe, drifts out wide, good dribbler, can play on both feet and has a ridiculous engine, I'd say that there's not much to improve on personally bar experience but I think that he could replace schweinsteigger in the future personally.

City
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The thing is City have struggled with inconsistency, but I do feel that they have a quality squad, I don't think they'll get much better(unlike chelsea/arsenal/liverpool) with their current squad due to their age group, but with a manager like pellegrini and the right tactics and city will be a force to handle. They've got rid of the main egos in tevez and balotelli and I reckon that there's more team harmony in comparison to how it was under mancini who didn't help with his interviews and angering of the media. I think they acheived at their required level tbh that season in the league. Last season was a clear disaster, mancini didn't know his first 11, tactics all over the place, lack of enthusiasm and signings that didn't improve the gaps in the squad but just increased the depth of the first 11. I'd say it's similar to real and mourinho only with less media backlash than he received and the players didn't fully revolt aganst him.

ReputationRep:
    Man I love Man Utd although I am a Greek and the team that I primarily support is Olympiakos from Greece,However I have been to some Manchester Utd matches and Champions League and I still remember the 7 goals against Roma in 2007

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    Sky proper quiet about fabregas these days. We really do need to make another bid
    put two and two together and figure out why.

ReputationRep:
    You're either 14 or a troll. Which one are you?

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Personally I don't agree with the first paragraph. Mainly because ramos calderon said that ronaldo was a madrid player the last season in a revista de la liga interview and he told them that they signed an agreement the season before he left for real.how ronaldo left That's most likely why he was bored, because he knew he was madrid bound. Not because of the lack of competition. I'd say mourinho made him a better player because he moved him from Right wing to left wing and the fact that he's in a less physically demanding league meant that he'd score a bucket load of goals. Also I'd say that he's not as flairy as he used to be at united but more effective. Similar to lionel messi when he changed to a false 9 he's more lazy but more effective on the ball.

Kroos/world cup
    Spoiler:
    Show
    True with the world cup spot argument. Kroos did get a lot of games and can play in all positions, I guess he could still improve, but he's got one of the best passing rates in europe, drifts out wide, good dribbler, can play on both feet and has a ridiculous engine, I'd say that there's not much to improve on personally bar experience but I think that he could replace schweinsteigger in the future personally.

City
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The thing is City have struggled with inconsistency, but I do feel that they have a quality squad, I don't think they'll get much better(unlike chelsea/arsenal/liverpool) with their current squad due to their age group, but with a manager like pellegrini and the right tactics and city will be a force to handle. They've got rid of the main egos in tevez and balotelli and I reckon that there's more team harmony in comparison to how it was under mancini who didn't help with his interviews and angering of the media. I think they acheived at their required level tbh that season in the league. Last season was a clear disaster, mancini didn't know his first 11, tactics all over the place, lack of enthusiasm and signings that didn't improve the gaps in the squad but just increased the depth of the first 11. I'd say it's similar to real and mourinho only with less media backlash than he received and the players didn't fully revolt aganst him.
    You're right about CR7 then, maybe Ronaldo has signed a contract with us thats why he's so bored lately
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking of course

I think every top team in the league struggled with consistency bar us last season, Chelsea have struggled with consistency since Ancelloti left IMO, thats why they have such a good cup record compared to the league since he left but Jose should rectify that and it could be the same with all the teams next season as Fergie could've been the big factor in getting consistent performances that ensured our victory.

ReputationRep:
    You're either 14 or a troll. Which one are you?
    Neither I just want a signing

ReputationRep:
    You're right about CR7 then, maybe Ronaldo has signed a contract with us thats why he's so bored lately
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking of course

I think every top team in the league struggled with consistency bar us last season, Chelsea have struggled with consistency since Ancelloti left IMO, thats why they have such a good cup record compared to the league since he left but Jose should rectify that and it could be the same with all the teams next season as Fergie could've been the big factor in getting consistent performances that ensured our victory.
    Yeah, tbf I respect united for winning the league in such a fashion, especially with the basketball games earlier in the season.
    Tbh it was starting under ancelotti and looking back in hindsight, part of it was his fault. A great manager but he messed up when he didn't replace ballack, carvalho and deco, the fact he only had one first 11 and didn't use the youth(sturridge especially when we weren't getting goals 72 goals compared to 103 previous season) especially since we barely got past united last season he should have strengthened earlier or used the youngsters like AVB tried. Didn't deserved the sack though.

Should see a consistent chelsea and probably city too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone... Do you think we can go into next season without a signing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We really don't want to waste more precious time unless our bid is 45mil+ (who am I kidding that we would spend that) which might actually give them some sort of incentive to even thinking about selling. Instead we need to focus on targets who could actually potentially move frankly.

ReputationRep:
    FWIW

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....record-5384621

ReputationRep:
    Even if it's true, Barca have sold Thiago, had a lot of income from transfers and Xavi doesn't have that long left. They are going to want a premium that we simply wouldn't pay, at-least up until now.

ReputationRep:
    So...an extra £5M more than the last bid, then? :facepalm2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.