The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7640
Original post by IanDangerously
Well if its in the Manchester Evening Blues, it must be true. :rolleyes:

This.
The funny thing is MEN is actually reliable for Manchester news, City & United. Both City + United have current and past connections including ex chief sport writers working at each club. Both clubs recruit from them for their media & PR departments, meaning there is generally just a **** ton of connections going around. MEN will be used for both clubs for both true and false informaton as it goes directly to the match going fans, thats how the process works. If something is in MEN, it largely means its true, or someone at the club wants people to think its true.

But don't worry, just shoot it down by saying "this" as if you actually know anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7642
Nani interview, good to see him looking forward to a season with us.
"Of course there is a big difference when Sir Alex leaves the club and you can feel the change because you know how important he was to this club but the team is the same so we hope the manager comes with a lot of good ideas to help us win again," Nani told reporters.

"Everyone has to prove himself because it is a different manager, different ideas but he knows the players, he's seen us on TV all this year he knows the players. I think that in a couple of weeks, a couple of months the players will understand the personalities."

Plus: Manchester United Football Club (NYSE:MANU) and PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP) today announced a multi-year regional sponsorship agreement in Asia-Pacific.
Adnan Januzaj vs Kitchee SC

Zaha vs Kitchee SC

Original post by Tommyjw
The funny thing is MEN is actually reliable for Manchester news

Do you even read the MEN? Would rather listen to a Manc's opinion than yours to be honest.
A bit of a cringey interview

I'm getting frustrated at the Fab chase. It's actually a bit insulting that we keep just upping our bid by 5 mil more. Moyes should just leave it and look for someone else. There are plenty of very good midfielders out there who would fill that gap nicely. I guess it's just a bit of managerial naïvety on moyes part, but sure he can't be blind to the fact that barca don't want to sell and tbh, I don't think Fab really even wants to come unless he's told to do so.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7647
That interview seems so forced lol
Original post by Tommyjw
Its almost like thats exactly what happens in the normal bidding process.

Do you people expect the first bid to be high and get accepted in the majority of transfers or something? I think the fact that this is public is skewing peoples views of it.

This isn't the first bid. We're wasting time trying to low ball Barcelona. We're trying to buy a player that they don't want to sell. Unless Fabregas comes out and says he wants to leave, I don't see why we keep going in with small improvements.
Original post by NathanW18
This isn't the first bid. We're wasting time trying to low ball Barcelona. We're trying to buy a player that they don't want to sell. Unless Fabregas comes out and says he wants to leave, I don't see why we keep going in with small improvements.

This is just a FM mentality tbh. You don't just send over a cheque with x million and have it accepted.

Small improvements? Have we not gone from like £20/£25 to £30 to £35/40 ? A good 15/20% increase at a time or whatever? Not entirely sure what part of that is small..

£5m may not sound like a lot to you because of being used to all these £30m transfers, but £5m equates to quite a heavy percentage of a teams net profit, and these are businesses at the end of the day. Take half of that because of Arsenals clause and £2.5m would have increased Barcas net last season by .. what.. 7%? That isn't something a business just laughs away.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can't tell who you're linked to now. Is it still Fabregas? or Modric or Marchisio?

Keep hearing so many different players making my head spin :confused:
I think Modric or Marchisio are just suggestions of who we should target next, rather than any news of them actually being in the clubs sights. Tbh, I don't think he's as good as a player but Modric would probably be a better fit for us than Fabregas. Can't see much movement in the Madrid midfield though. I've always rated Marchisio but its worrying how many Juv fans wouldn't seem to be that bothered by his departure.
Original post by Tommyjw
This is just a FM mentality tbh. You don't just send over a cheque with x million and have it accepted.

Small improvements? Have we not gone from like £20/£25 to £30 to £35/40 ? A good 15/20% increase at a time or whatever? Not entirely sure what part of that is small..

£5m may not sound like a lot to you because of being used to all these £30m transfers, but £5m equates to quite a heavy percentage of a teams net profit, and these are businesses at the end of the day. Take half of that because of Arsenals clause and £2.5m would have increased Barcas net last season by .. what.. 7%? That isn't something a business just laughs away.

Everything you have said is irrelevant. Fabregas is a world class player and is at a destination club. His club has clearly said that he is not for sale. Fabregas has not come out publicly and said that he wants to stay or leave. For this reason, we have to pay a premium to get a world class player.

£30M doesn't get you elite players any more. Unless they're at a selling club and the player wants to leave or they're in the latter years of their contract. Even being at a selling club doesn't always bring the price down for elite players. We're wasting our time. Make a serious offer or forget it.

United offering Barcelona £25M for Fabregas is almost as big as a joke as Chelsea offering £20M for Rooney.

Bull****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think Modric or Marchisio are just suggestions of who we should target next, rather than any news of them actually being in the clubs sights. Tbh, I don't think he's as good as a player but Modric would probably be a better fit for us than Fabregas. Can't see much movement in the Madrid midfield though. I've always rated Marchisio but its worrying how many Juv fans wouldn't seem to be that bothered by his departure.

and how many Juventus fans do you actually know?
Original post by Manchester United

Probably referring to the ones on the forums...

http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/19220-Claudio-Marchisio/page1135
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Probably referring to the ones on the forums...

http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/19220-Claudio-Marchisio/page1135

Well, they obviously watch more Juve than me, but from what I know, Marchisio is a fantastic player and I would certainly take him for 27m. Great buy.
I think it's the Italians who we should be targeting. Marchisio and Candreva are two we've been linked with, and two that would improve our midfield. £40m between the pair of them I reckon.
Original post by Manchester United
There are a few I know from uni, and as has been said the online forums. I didn't say I didn't think he was good, but their knowledge probably better than mine, so that would worry me.
Reply 7659

Bale could be brought to prepare for life without Ronaldo next season if he doesn't sign a new contract but there is no way we will be able to match PSG offer for Ronaldo anyway.

Marchisio is quite inconsistent and plays with Vidal/Pirlo 2 of the greatest midfielders out there, he is nowhere near Cesc and unproven in England.

Oliver Torres is another option and one for the future.

Latest