Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread X Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Which should always be applauded. It makes for good entertainment.
    Forget entertainment, results are more important. Can't we be attacking with a bit of defensive solidarity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Forget entertainment, results are more important. Can't we be attacking with a bit of defensive solidarity?
    No! Barca are good enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    No! Barca are good enough as it is.
    Nah always room for improvement. Defensive coaches should be ashamed there.

ReputationRep:
    Nah always room for improvement. Defensive coaches should be ashamed there.
    True.

I've though of Barca as a team that plays 4-4-2, as in, 4 mid fielders at the back, 4 in the middle, 2 strikers.

I know it's not always the case, but you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM1987)
    Its probably because im jealous that we could never have that amount of money to spend but I think its stupid how Real Madrid and Barca as swooping up everyone... So many good players its crazy and with Saldado going to spurs their league is getting worse. Malaga were doing alright but have been torn up this summer. Same with Bayern and their league if they do get lewandowski they have just killed the league again with him and Gotze.

The prem remains the most competitive league in the world with a high amount of great teams with good talent but if only we had a couple of the spare players from madrid we would be fine. We should of struck for isco when at Malaga as soon as possible and should now go for Modric, Fabregas was silly from the start and its a bit embarrassing how we have gone about signings when you look at how city have handled things.
    Dortmund are still a force but damn they need to fire the guy who deals with their player contracts, they lost Sahin and Kagawa with year left on their contracts, Lewandowski will go for free next year, Gotze had a 32mil release clause and Reus their best player has a release clause of 30mil euros, a player that should warrant at least 75% of Bales price.

Real buying Bale would definitely put pressure on the Barca board to buy new players and selling Cesc would be unforgivable, it doesn't matter if we bid 5mil more each time because Arsenal still get 50% of the profits.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like me. Substance over style. Personally I liked man united in the second half of the season when vidic came back and the defence bucked up with him there. Tbh that's the spanish league for you. Two teams who win the league are extremely attacking. Under guardiola your defence was beasty even with a retard like valdes in goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Dortmund are still a force but damn they need to fire the guy who deals with their player contracts, they lost Sahin and Kagawa with year left on their contracts, Lewandowski will go for free next year, Gotze had a 32mil release clause and Reus their best player has a release clause of 30mil euros, a player that should warrant at least 75% of Bales price.

Real buying Bale would definitely put pressure on the Barca board to buy new players and selling Cesc would be unforgivable, it doesn't matter if we bid 5mil more each time because Arsenal still get 50% of the profits.
    Tbh there's not much dortmund can do, unless they destroy the wage structure and give bumper contracts. Love reus though my favourite german player after ozil. I think dortmund are just a selling club but are able to get valid replacements and use their youth system to full effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That sounds like me. Substance over style. Personally I liked man united in the second half of the season when vidic came back and the defence bucked up with him there. Tbh that's the spanish league for you. Two teams who win the league are extremely attacking. Under guardiola your defence was beasty even with a retard like valdes in goal.
    Exactly I like a bit of style but there needs to be some substance as well. Both Barcelona and Madrid were pretty awful defensively for all that offensive fire power.

Because we actually pressed and hardly gave opponents a chance to attack us as well as having 1 defensive full back and 1 offensive one.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly I like a bit of style but there needs to be some substance as well. Both Barcelona and Madrid were pretty awful defensively for all that offensive fire power.

Because we actually pressed and hardly gave opponents a chance to attack us as well as having 1 defensive full back and 1 offensive one.
    That reminds me, what do you think of adriano? And surely montoya should play a bigger part next season covering the full back positions.

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me, what do you think of adriano? And surely montoya should play a bigger part next season covering the full back positions.
    Love Adriano as long as he doesn't play CB. He was actually playing superb when he was covering for the injured full backs but he can't string 4 games together without tweaking an muscle.

Should have last season but Vilanova refused to turn to the youth but then threw them into the deep end. If Alves doesn't curb his attacking enthusiasm then I think Montoya will overtake but the end of this season.

Fabregas rumors still going on :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Love Adriano as long as he doesn't play CB. He was actually playing superb when he was covering for the injured full backs but he can't string 4 games together without tweaking an muscle.

Should have last season but Vilanova refused to turn to the youth but then threw them into the deep end. If Alves doesn't curb his attacking enthusiasm then I think Montoya will overtake but the end of this season.

Fabregas rumors still going on :ahee:
    I remember adriano's beast goal vs valencia. Like him too and think he's a good squad player, like keita was, who I feel didn't get the credit he deserved I feel. Remember messi scoring a header in the 10/11 season against sevilla I think and a fantastic alonso like ball from keita set it up.

ReputationRep:
    Charity Shield tickets have arrived today ... anyone else off here going?

I've not been keeping up with pre-season this year as MUTV is a waste of money and the games are not only meaningless but totally tedious to watch in most cases. Good to hear Jesse and Adnan are getting a chance though, one thing that frustrated me about the last couple of seasons is how we dropped the ball with the class of 2011 in favour of bringing young players in from other teams. We've lost Pogba, Morrison and Fryers but we could still do something with Tunners, Lingard and Petrucci. I won't hold my breath but at least there's a chance now that we're not leaning heavily on older squad players.

I'm not concerned about transfers right now, our squad is good enough to retain the Premier League as it is and we seem to have all given up on Europe anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh there's not much dortmund can do, unless they destroy the wage structure and give bumper contracts. Love reus though my favourite german player after ozil. I think dortmund are just a selling club but are able to get valid replacements and use their youth system to full effect.
    I hope they adapt to the modern game and up the wages of their star players, or they'll become the Arsenal of Germany, they need to look at Barca and see how they moved on from players like Figo transferring to Real thinking it was bigger club to actually being seen by most fans/footballers at an equal prestige.
    Love Reus even more than Ozil, one of my favourite footballers to watch.

(Original post by IanDangerously)
    Charity Shield tickets have arrived today ... anyone else off here going?

I've not been keeping up with pre-season this year as MUTV is a waste of money and the games are not only meaningless but totally tedious to watch in most cases. Good to hear Jesse and Adnan are getting a chance though, one thing that frustrated me about the last couple of seasons is how we dropped the ball with the class of 2011 in favour of bringing young players in from other teams. We've lost Pogba, Morrison and Fryers but we could still do something with Tunners, Lingard and Petrucci. I won't hold my breath but at least there's a chance now that we're not leaning heavily on older squad players.

I'm not concerned about transfers right now, our squad is good enough to retain the Premier League as it is and we seem to have all given up on Europe anyway.
    My cousin sister booked a wedding the same day as the final whereas all of my uni mates are going. Hoping to make Crystal Palace and hopefully Chelsea before I go uni, and then hopefully some of the away games in and around London when at uni.

I'm concerned about our midfield more this season than last, Scholes has retired and Carrick is 32 now, we cannot play him to much or he'll start to tire out at then end of the season, I hope one of Cleverly or Anderson can stay injury free this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    "Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio insists he has never even considered a move away from the club, and wants to end his career with the Old Lady."
    "For the past seven years, my name has always come up when the transfer market was discussed"

"Obviously, I will not deny that I feel flattered when I see my name being linked with other clubs, including some of the most important and biggest in the world."

"This is proof that I'm doing a good job and that others value what I do. It makes me proud that there are teams that rate me."

"However, I have not talked to anyone and there are no concrete offers. I spoke with Juventus and they told me I'm still wanted. My desire is to stay here and win more trophies."

"Then again, you never know what will happen in football. I would not be the first player to leave his boyhood club..."

Source Goal

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for my tickets, excited though. Can't believe they were only £15!

ReputationRep:
    damn i missed out i assume they are sold out?

ReputationRep:
    oh dad hid them. Row 43, which is a decent distance up from the front. frikkkkkkkkkkin awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    Still waiting for my tickets, excited though. Can't believe they were only £15!
    I wanted to go but couldn't find anyone to go with..

ReputationRep:
    "I am very happy at Bayern. I have two years left on my contract, but you don't know what will happen until August 31."

Gustavo latest comments. When we got Moyes I was quite optimistic that we would sign a DM someone like Vidal was always going to be a stretch but I do think if Gustavo is willing to come we have to wake up and sign him, De Rossi is another player that could take us to another level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    "I am very happy at Bayern. I have two years left on my contract, but you don't know what will happen until August 31."

Gustavo latest comments. When we got Moyes I was quite optimistic that we would sign a DM someone like Vidal was always going to be a stretch but I do think if Gustavo is willing to come we have to wake up and sign him, De Rossi is another player that could take us to another level.
    Wolfsburg have already acted on Gustavo. They have informed Bayern about their interest and talked to his agent. Their sporting director has also came out and said he would be a great addition.

If Wolfsburg beat us to his signature, a lot of fans will be unhappy with Moyes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.