Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Rooney trending. Someone, somewhere has said Chelsea bid £30m, I haven't bothered to look into where that came from. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true though, Jose did say he wanted him. That £50m they paid for Torres shouldn't be so easily forgotten, especially considering the form he was in at the time. I'd expect a lot more for Rooney before I'd even consider it, and even then we'd need replacements sorted first.
    £25m is a complete joke when you consider that's what we paid for him 9 years ago. It's obviously been done to try and unsettle him but it doesn't matter what they offer, selling him to a domestic rival is title suicide. He'll still be a Manchester United player when the transfer window closes. What possible situation does selling him to Chelsea benefit the club? There isn't one.

ReputationRep:
    Letting him go to Chelsea would be foolish, it would weaken us whilst improving them, Rooney is still a very good player and could be deadly for Chelsea like he was with us. I'd like Moyes to tempt Madrid with a cash plus Rooney bid if he really wishes to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    £25m is a complete joke when you consider that's what we paid for him 9 years ago. It's obviously been done to try and unsettle him but it doesn't matter what they offer, selling him to a domestic rival is title suicide. He'll still be a Manchester United player when the transfer window closes. What possible situation does selling him to Chelsea benefit the club? There isn't one.
    Oh I just meant I'd expect a lot more money for him in general, from any club. I don't want to sell him to Chelsea, of course. It'd be best to send him off abroad somewhere if he doesn't want to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    If Chelsea hit £35m I take that for Rooney. I've already said I don't think he's a good prospect in his later years, and not for the money he's wanting. Getting 8 seasons out of him and then shifting him at a profit at his peak is pretty good business. Perhaps he's hoping to play Rooney up top but with Lukaku seemingly set to star as the forward, someone in that front 3 isn't going to get much playing time with Schürrle arriving too. Perhaps negotiating a deal for one the amigos as has been said, one of them has to be surplus if Rooney and Lukaku are to play major roles.
    Rooney would be played as a striker for us the majority of the time, with Lukaku as 2nd choice, as although he's already looking very good we'd be a lot better off with an established striker as our first choice rather than relying on a 20-year old with Torres and Ba as backups. Schurrle won't play as a striker unless we have an injury crisis, he'll be playing on the wing, probably rotating with Hazard on the left the most as that's his preferred position.

-------------Rooney/Lukaku/Torres----------
    Hazard/Schurrle--Mata/Oscar--KDB/Moses

Is what I assume we'll be going for should we get Rooney, offloading either Torres or Ba, probably Ba. Although unless he hands in a transfer request I don't see why you'd sell him.

ReputationRep:
    Just a little question to you all, how much do you think Lukaku is worth on the current market?

Hypothetically, would you accept a straight swap Rooney for Lukaku (even though it won't happen ha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Dan)
    Just a little question to you all, how much do you think Lukaku is worth on the current market?

Hypothetically, would you accept a straight swap Rooney for Lukaku (even though it won't happen ha)
    I'd value him around £20m and no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    I'd value him around £20m and no.
    yeh I'd probably agree there. 16-20mil'ish

I think I'd take him though, as a player he looks like a massive talent who is only going to improve in quality and value! Can't wait for this season nonetheless, despite being out of the country for 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like Rooney is going to go, even if we couldnt swap him for rooney + cash for ronaldo but failing that id swap him for modric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Rooney would be played as a striker for us the majority of the time, with Lukaku as 2nd choice, as although he's already looking very good we'd be a lot better off with an established striker as our first choice rather than relying on a 20-year old with Torres and Ba as backups.
    How often does Rooney play as a true striker for United? He played to the side in the front 3 in the Ronaldo era, played as a forward in 09/10, behind Hernandez in 2011, behind Welbeck in 2012, and behind RVP in 2013. He hasn't lead the United line for a while. A lot of money to get a player who you are then going to play out of position.

ReputationRep:
    How often does Rooney play as a true striker for United? He played to the side in the front 3 in the Ronaldo era, played as a forward in 09/10, behind Hernandez in 2011, behind Welbeck in 2012, and behind RVP in 2013. He hasn't lead the United line for a while. A lot of money to get a player who you are then going to play out of position.
    Doesn't he want to be played as a striker though and consider it his best position? There's no way we'd be buying him to play behind a striker as we don't need him there at all. I'm not entirely convinced by us going after Rooney, Falcao/Cavani would have been excellent but obviously they were too expensive, although if Mourinho thinks he's worth chasing then I'm fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we sell Rooney for anything lower than Torres, wouldn't let Rooney go for anything under £50 mil to chelsea, Torres has only scored 34 goals for Chelsea whilst Rooney has scored that twice in a season, and Torres never scored 34 goals for Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't he want to be played as a striker though and consider it his best position? There's no way we'd be buying him to play behind a striker as we don't need him there at all. I'm not entirely convinced by us going after Rooney, Falcao/Cavani would have been excellent but obviously they were too expensive, although if Mourinho thinks he's worth chasing then I'm fine with that.
    I don't know what he considers his best position, but he's a bit impatient to play as a forward, he comes deep, not unusual to see Rooney tracking to around the box, that was okay when he was younger but I think he lost a step around 09/10 ankle injury, he's certainly more sluggish these days. Unless he's disciplined (:rolleyes:) then the need for play to come through him is going to be a problem as a forward. You don't need him there assuming Jose is happy with the players you have, he's kicked good players before. He's previously played with Deco, Lampard, Sniejder, Ozil there all goal scoring AM's, that is pretty much the Rooney role. In that role he is at times a world class player, not sure you could say that about him as a striker. 09/10 he got 26 goals playing for United, Lukaku got 17 last season playing for West Brom, not to mention he provides a physicality Jose likes. When I heard it, I assumed based on Jose's previous formations and style of players he'd want a 4-3-3 with a goalscoring attacker who play in going to go through behind a front 3 with one physical striker, so Rooney behind Lukaku.

Rooney isn't worth £50m, Torres wasn't worth £50m, Chelsea won't make that mistake again. Rooney at best is worth £40m, he's got 2 years left on his deal and its not being discussed at present. On current form he's not worth as much as Suarez who is worth £50m it would seem, on a longer contract and is younger with 2 clubs involved. With only Chelsea interested we aren't going to get the maximum I would think.

Rooney is a player who has always been massively affected by his feelings and personal life, he's not John Terry. If he's pissed off, clashes with Moyes, we'll lose out on £30m pay 250k a week for an average season so we can get mugged when he's got a year left on his deal. Quite frankly if we can find a replacement, I'd be happy to see him go for that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    Send him abroad for 25mil or ask Chelsea to pay an astronomical amount for him. He is very over-rated n well past his best anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med2K11)
    Send him abroad for 25mil or ask Chelsea to pay an astronomical amount for him. He is very over-rated n well past his best anyway
    It would be stupid to let him go for £25m and even stupider to sell him to Chelsea.

If Rooney is going then Moyes should offload him abroad, not to a rival.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest benefit to chelsea would not be that they have rooney as a player but that they have weakened us, if he does go then our board has again messed up because we will need another top player to replace him, imagine if RVP gets injured we would be in deep trouble. Or.... swap torres for rooney...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what he considers his best position, but he's a bit impatient to play as a forward, he comes deep, not unusual to see Rooney tracking to around the box, that was okay when he was younger but I think he lost a step around 09/10 ankle injury, he's certainly more sluggish these days. Unless he's disciplined (:rolleyes:) then the need for play to come through him is going to be a problem as a forward. You don't need him there assuming Jose is happy with the players you have, he's kicked good players before. He's previously played with Deco, Lampard, Sniejder, Ozil there all goal scoring AM's, that is pretty much the Rooney role. In that role he is at times a world class player, not sure you could say that about him as a striker. 09/10 he got 26 goals playing for United, Lukaku got 17 last season playing for West Brom, not to mention he provides a physicality Jose likes. When I heard it, I assumed based on Jose's previous formations and style of players he'd want a 4-3-3 with a goalscoring attacker who play in going to go through behind a front 3 with one physical striker, so Rooney behind Lukaku.
    Wasn't this whole "angry and confused" business because of Moyes telling him he was second choice striker behind RVP? Hence me thinking he preferred to be a striker but... :dontknow: I don't doubt for a second Rooney's ability to play extremely well behind a striker isn't viewed as a huge bonus in Mourinho's eyes, but we're already stacked with young players with plenty of potential in that position, I don't think we'd have bothered buying Schurrle if we weren't planning on playing Rooney as a striker. Judging from preseason it seems we'll be favouring a 4-2-3-1 as it seems to suits our players more, but will occasionally switch to a 4-3-3.

Rooney isn't worth £50m, Torres wasn't worth £50m, Chelsea won't make that mistake again. Rooney at best is worth £40m, he's got 2 years left on his deal and its not being discussed at present. On current form he's not worth as much as Suarez who is worth £50m it would seem, on a longer contract and is younger with 2 clubs involved. With only Chelsea interested we aren't going to get the maximum I would think.
    Yeah, completely agree. If we'd wanted to spend ~£50m on a striker we'd have gone for Cavani or Falcao. I think we're just slowly increasing our bids in the hope that Rooney requests a transfer. Wouldn't mind us spending £35m on him, perhaps £40m but no more.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't this whole "angry and confused" business because of Moyes telling him he was second choice striker behind RVP? Hence me thinking he preferred to be a striker but... :dontknow: I don't doubt for a second Rooney's ability to play extremely well behind a striker isn't viewed as a huge bonus in Mourinho's eyes, but we're already stacked with young players with plenty of potential in that position, I don't think we'd have bothered buying Schurrle if we weren't planning on playing Rooney as a striker. Judging from preseason it seems we'll be favouring a 4-2-3-1 as it seems to suits our players more, but will occasionally switch to a 4-3-3.
    I think Moyes' has had his words twisted anyway, I read it as him saying without RVP we would need Rooney in the team to fill the void rather than a statement that with RVP Rooney was surplus. To base Rooney as in the Rooney you have seen in recent season, that is Rooney as an AM, I personally don't think he has it to play as a true forward anymore, perhaps for a while, but the talk of him playing in midfield isn't for nothing. He just lacks the pace, the turn and agility he had 3 seasons ago, his ability to get on the ball in the hole, pass and such is what is valued now. That said, I would be interested to see how he would play as an all out striker. 4-3-3 was more a general statement, as in some form of 4-3-3 variant as Jose seems to favour.

Yeah, completely agree. If we'd wanted to spend ~£50m on a striker we'd have gone for Cavani or Falcao. I think we're just slowly increasing our bids in the hope that Rooney requests a transfer. Wouldn't mind us spending £35m on him, perhaps £40m but no more.
    I'd like to see us hold out for £35m personally, but I doubt we will get more than that unless Roman grows impatient. I can see Rooney handing in a transfer request tbh. IMO Moyes will have mishandled the situation if he does, being in that situation so late in the window. You can see from the end of the SAF era what would have happened to Rooney had SAF stayed, a flight to Madrid.

ReputationRep:
    I think Moyes' has had his words twisted anyway, I read it as him saying without RVP we would need Rooney in the team to fill the void rather than a statement that with RVP Rooney was surplus. To base Rooney as in the Rooney you have seen in recent season, that is Rooney as an AM, I personally don't think he has it to play as a true forward anymore, perhaps for a while, but the talk of him playing in midfield isn't for nothing. He just lacks the pace, the turn and agility he had 3 seasons ago, his ability to get on the ball in the hole, pass and such. That said, I would be interested to see how he would play as an all out striker. 4-3-3 was more a general statement, as in some form of 4-3-3 variant as Jose seems to favour.

I'd like to see us hold out for £35m personally, but I doubt we will get more than that unless Roman grows impatient. I can see Rooney handing in a transfer request tbh. IMO Moyes will have mishandled the situation if he does, being in that situation so late in the window. You can see from the end of the SAF era what would have happened to Rooney had SAF stayed, a flight to Madrid.
    Would Madrid of actually wanted Rooney? I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    **** off Mourinho with your ******** offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Would Madrid of actually wanted Rooney? I'm not so sure.
    It was more reference to what happens when you fall out with SAF than actually being a serious transfer option. Had SAF stayed on Rooney would have been frozen out and sold asap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.