Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    um, that a world class CM was potentially available so it's worth making a couple of bids cause you never know he might have joined?
    The thing is, he was never "potentially available". We all assumed United must've known something because Fabregas was obviously not going to leave, but it seems United knew nothing either. And, in the meantime, it seems like they haven't pursued any other targets while this saga has been ongoing. It's made them look a bit clueless tbh.

ReputationRep:
    um, that a world class CM was potentially available so it's worth making a couple of bids cause you never know he might have joined? it's what top managers in top clubs do...

it's a shame we won't get Cesc but ah well, we move on, Fellaini and Baines are both heavily rumoured to join us, that would be an excellent double signing as Fellaini gives us the midfielder we need and Baines provides much needed competition for Evra or even playing further forward than that.
    Don't you think it seemed a bit...odd though? Barca and Cesc repeatedly came out and said they didn't want this deal to happen and yet Moyes persisted. To be honest there was no reason for Cesc to want to join United anyway, especially with Ferguson gone. Even then, with Wenger being a 'father figure' to Cesc I couldn't see him going there. Just a strange one all around.

ReputationRep:
    Fellani at that price is a bargain

ReputationRep:
    We didn't need Cesc anyway, his role is too advanced for what we're looking for.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Cesc you son of a *****

We might need to keep that fat scouser now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    it's a shame we won't get Cesc but ah well, we move on, Fellaini and Baines are both heavily rumoured to join us, that would be an excellent double signing as Fellaini gives us the midfielder we need and Baines provides much needed competition for Evra or even playing further forward than that.
    Don't want Baines anywhere near the club. Everton will want £15-20m, why pay that when we already have a better player in Evra? If Baines was 23 then maybe but he'll be 29 in a few months. Evra is a key figure within the dressing room as well, senior players like him will be vital to help Moyes for this coming season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Don't you think it seemed a bit...odd though? Barca and Cesc repeatedly came out and said they didn't want this deal to happen and yet Moyes persisted. To be honest there was no reason for Cesc to want to join United anyway, especially with Ferguson gone. Even then, with Wenger being a 'father figure' to Cesc I couldn't see him going there. Just a strange one all around.
    Fabregas kept quiet and Barca never released any official statements for quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Fabregas kept quiet and Barca never released any official statements for quite some time.
    From memory Cesc has come out 3 times and said he's staying at Barca (including today) - I don't know what else he needed to do, I think he'd made it pretty clear he didn't want to leave if it wasn't obvious already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I'd rather no one than Fellaini and Baines for the price we would have to pay. Saying that if I had to have one of the two it would be Fellaini.
    that's a bit unrealistic though isn't it? the current market I would say the rumoured £30m-£40m for the two combined is if anything pretty reasonable, Fellaini I would say is worth at least £20m on his own, Baines probably about £15-20m as well.

who else that we've been linked with do you think we realistically might buy? (not just question for you, but everyone here tbh), Fellaini and Baines I think are the most realistic, Ronaldo I think is just a pipe dream tbh, he might come back here in 2015 when his contract with Madrid ends, but I can't see it happening before then, Bale looks odds on to join Real and I doubt we would match their bid (nor imo should we, he isn't worth £100m)

(Original post by Idle)
    this. the first bid was probably testing the water, when Barca/Cesc didn't reply to deny it was a possibility he could move then the second bid made sense as well, I doubt there will be a third now though given Cesc has said he wants to stay, it's good that it's resolved now though as we can focus on signing other players.

ReputationRep:
    There was a lack of clarity from all sides, mainly from Cesc. Had he made his statement from the start he would have killed it off but obviously due to Tito's leaving, clarification about his role, meant it dragged on and we, maybe to his agent, felt he could be lured away. Let's move on.

Rather go for Fellaini than Baines but can't see Everton letting him go without £20m.

ReputationRep:
    also, Zaha, Carrick, Cleverley, Rooney, Wellbeck, Jones and Smalling all in England squad for Scotland match next week.

ReputationRep:
    When I see the new crop it really pales in comparison to our 'golden generation'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather we forget any transfers instead of settling for Fellaini in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing that could happen is we keep Rooney, sign Gustavo and forget about Fellaini/Baines.

Fellaini is good but he's isn't worth £20m+ and same goes for Baines.

I have no idea why we tried buying Fabregas, I know Moyes wanted a big name signing, but that one never made any sense since day one to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    When I see the new crop it really pales in comparison to our 'golden generation'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phil Jones > Butt
    Phil Jones > P Neville
    Phil Jones > G Neville
    Phil Jones > Scholes
    Phil Jones > Beckham
    Phil Jones > Giggs

You'll see

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do not want United to sign Baines at all. Too pricey and too old. If there is literally no one else, then we should just bring in Fellani

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    I'd rather we forget any transfers instead of settling for Fellaini in all honesty.
    Not sure we can. Assuming Fletcher isn't going to be fit any time soon, we have Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson in midfield. Three isn't enough for a whole season because of injuries and midweek games. Of course we have makeshift CMs in Giggs and Jones, but I don't think playing those two there often is going to end well for us. So, you'd assume we need to get someone in.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney being named in the squad shows his injury ain't that serious but will allow him to get game-time if he does end up staying and being in contention for the start of the season but also a chance for the Chelsea boys to continue their luring of the boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    There was a lack of clarity from all sides, mainly from Cesc. Had he made his statement from the start he would have killed it off but obviously due to Tito's leaving, clarification about his role, meant it dragged on and we, maybe to his agent, felt he could be lured away. Let's move on.

Rather go for Fellaini than Baines but can't see Everton letting him go without £20m.
    Cesc has been very clear though. He's always said he wanted to stay. Wenger confirmed this many times as well.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you all under the impression that Fabregas hadn't said he wanted to stay at Barca until today? He made a statement right at the start of the whole saga saying he was staying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Why are you all under the impression that Fabregas hadn't said he wanted to stay at Barca until today? He made a statement right at the start of the whole saga saying he was staying.
    He did, as did Barca, but recently Barca saying the decision was up to him could mean he was up for it? And the fact United kept bidding for him.

Saha has just announced his retirement at 35

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.