Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For all intent and purposes, he's been retired for a while now. Remembered watching him boss the old Division 1 during Fulham's promotion and who could forget the performance he put on against you guys on his PL debut with Fulham.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea may step up their bid for Rooney, especially if they want the CL, Madrid outclassed them and 3-1 was kind to them IMO.
    We would've been beaten if Madrid played like that against us as well, Modric and Khedira were bossing the midfield and Ronaldo was there to finish and Marcelo was great. Ronaldo will not be leaving this Madrid.

Gustavo, De Rossi and Fellaini are the only players out there obtainable IMO, and all of them are good enough. Gustavo and Fellaini are both the most likely, both offer different options, Fellaini wouldn't allow Toure/Dembele to boss our midfields via strength and improve us on set pieces, but Gustavo is better on the ball and knows how to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Chelsea may step up their bid for Rooney, especially if they want the CL, Madrid outclassed them and 3-1 was kind to them IMO.
    We would've been beaten if Madrid played like that against us as well, Modric and Khedira were bossing the midfield and Ronaldo was there to finish and Marcelo was great. Ronaldo will not be leaving this Madrid.

Gustavo, De Rossi and Fellaini are the only players out there obtainable IMO, and all of them are good enough. Gustavo and Fellaini are both the most likely, both offer different options, Fellaini wouldn't allow Toure/Dembele to boss our midfields via strength and improve us on set pieces, but Gustavo is better on the ball and knows how to win.
    De Rossi is getting on a bit, would rather get a younger guy. If we bring in Fellaini/Gustavo this season, we could always try with Gundogan next season?

ReputationRep:
    With the players who are obtainable now, I'm 100% okay with our current midfield. 100%.

Of course, Rooney leaving would change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    De Rossi is getting on a bit, would rather get a younger guy. If we bring in Fellaini/Gustavo this season, we could always try with Gundogan next season?
    why next season? they would consider a 35 mil bid. people underestimate how important central midfield is. Gundogan would be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    With the players who are obtainable now, I'm 100% okay with our current midfield. 100%.

I think a defensive midfielder is needed.

Gundogan has 2 yrs left on his contract, you'd expect him to have signed a new contract by next summer. We'd have to buy him this window.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the second thiago went to bayern fabregas was never going to be a target. He said he likes barca and wants to stay at the start of the saga but it's down to the club. I still think barca were trying to entertain you guys. What's the point of barca getting less than 5m profit on a 26 year old. Made no sense whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    As much as i'd love United to sign Gundogan this summer, I'm sure he has said he won't be leaving this summer?

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)

I think it depends who joins and leaves for the top 5 teams. If everyone around us improves their squad and we don't, then I would worry.

ReputationRep:
    someone please tell me why we didnt sign strootman?

ReputationRep:
    #MUFC on Fabregas: "We appreciate Cesc is a contracted player at Barcelona and completely respect everything Cesc has said today."

ReputationRep:
    Don't really see why we felt it necessary to come out with that. A new manager and a new MD was a mistake, very amateurish how we've gone about our transfers this window. Should have persuaded Gill to stick around for another year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Don't really see why we felt it necessary to come out with that. A new manager and a new MD was a mistake, very amateurish how we've gone about our transfers this window. Should have persuaded Gill to stick around for another year.
    Only make it public if there's a high chance of it happening or if you want to unsettle a domestic rival's player via the media(rooney). Simple rules man.

Do you expect to see any more transfer activity this window? Defence is sorted, attack is fine bar wingers who I think will buck up this season.

ReputationRep:
    If I were Moyes, I'd have a crack at Gustavo then leave it. We don't want to make any desperate buys. I'd rather have Cleverley, Powell or Jones than Fellaini. Baines would be a terrible signing as Evra is just as good, similar age and a huge part of our team.

Can't wait for the Wigan game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    De Rossi is such a beast though and still one of the best in his role. One of my favourite players, wouldn't want to see him at United, remember being pretty annoyed when you were linked to him a few years ago, would have been a great signing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    De Rossi is such a beast though and still one of the best in his role. One of my favourite players, wouldn't want to see him at United, remember being pretty annoyed when you were linked to him a few years ago, would have been a great signing.
    He's good and a few years ago would have been a cracking signing, but at his age now we would only have to get a replacement in a couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Where is Powell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    Where is Powell?
    Recovering from surgery.

ReputationRep:
    Selling Rooney (especially to another premier league club) would defy all logic. Without Rooney our team will be considerably weaker than lasts seasons, which is even more stupid when you consider the potential of both City and Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    Selling Rooney (especially to another premier league club) would defy all logic. Without Rooney our team will be considerably weaker than lasts seasons, which is even more stupid when you consider the potential of both City and Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, agree here. Only thing is that you can get an inflated fee, the fact rooney has 2 years remaining(take the cash now than get rubbish offers next season?) and that he's on high wages would make some sense for a transfer. I think Chelsea will put in 35 million late in the window and leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Only make it public if there's a high chance of it happening or if you want to unsettle a domestic rival's player via the media(rooney). Simple rules man.

Do you expect to see any more transfer activity this window? Defence is sorted, attack is fine bar wingers who I think will buck up this season.
    We'll probably end up with Fellaini or no one tbh. Even if Moyes doesn't like Gustavo for whatever reason, if we put enough money on the table then I'm sure Leverkusen would be willing to part with Lars Bender, who I think would be perfect for our midfield.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.