Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    So beating Wigan 2-0 will propel Moyes to the EPL/UCL/FA? :rolleyes:

Its simply a glorified pre-season friendly.
    It will give him self belief, it's like doing well in a mock exam you'll then believe you can smash the real thing

Or failing and then being totally deflatred

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, though.

If United lost today, every non-United fan would be in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    **** me, not worried about Moyes at all are we? Nice and chilled vibe around Utd atm.

Fair play for winning the CS but take it for what it is
    Not worry but faith is the word I'd use.

So if this current Arsenal team, which doesn't have a single player who has won a trophy, won the CS, you would still say it's a glorified pre-season friendly? No talk of how important it could be for their mental development to actually lift a trophy in the air; have a winners medal because it is not valued. I think you'd be saying the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    It will give him self belief, it's like doing well in a mock exam you'll then believe you can smash the real thing

Or failing and then being totally deflatred
    So there's potential downside but not really any upside in both cases.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people comparing Wenger and Moyes? Honestly United fans that think of this as a trophy (like a real trophy) need a reality check. They need to understand that the end of SAF is bringing the end of United as one of England's most competitive clubs. Their pre-season (and only a 2-0 win over a hardworked Wigan side) is further proof of the obvious!

ReputationRep:
    did I hear zaha was taken off with an injury? - missed the second half, but thought I heard that on the comentary at the end?

ReputationRep:
    Evra was brilliant today. Just as he was for the majority of last season imo. People who think we should still be after Baines are just the worst!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    did I hear zaha was taken off with an injury? - missed the second half, but thought I heard that on the comentary at the end?

Yep he did. Seemed a minor knock though, i think he'll be fine for the next match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashingPumpkinP)
    Why are people comparing Wenger and Moyes? Honestly United fans that think of this as a trophy (like a real trophy) need a reality check. They need to understand that the end of SAF is bringing the end of United as one of England's most competitive clubs. Their pre-season (and only a 2-0 win over a hardworked Wigan side) is further proof of the obvious!
    Key word Pre-season its just that. Its only there for fitness and new tactics and giving the young ones some playing time. I know you're just trolling anyway.

They might find it harder without SAF but Jesus there isn't a manager who could just come in and be expected to do wonderfully well, besides wait till Moyes plays a few "proper" games before you judge him.

ReputationRep:
    Where are these United fans that are thinking we've won a major trophy today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Evra was brilliant today. Just as he was for the majority of last season imo. People who think we should still be after Baines are just the worst!
    Definitely was today. I wouldn't say he was brilliant last season, but far better than he was the prior 2/3 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    So there's potential downside but not really any upside in both cases.
    The upside is self belief, something which can take you a far way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Key word Pre-season its just that. Its only there for fitness and new tactics and giving the young ones some playing time. I know you're just trolling anyway.

They might find it harder without SAF but Jesus there isn't a manager who could just come in and be expected to do wonderfully well, besides wait till Moyes plays a few "proper" games before you judge him.
    For the record I'm not trolling (who trolls? :L). Pre-Season is for fitness you're right, but when you're new tactics are resulting in only winning 3 out of 8 pre-season games or something, it's clear it's not going to be the biggest season for the club. Plus look at the United squad, SAF I think was the best manager of all time and he and RVP single handedly carried that squad. Moyes is an OK manager, nothing special and it's an OK squad. But City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all look stronger with Arsenal and Spurs having better foundations. This could very much be the beginning of the end for United!

ReputationRep:
    For the record I'm not trolling (who trolls? :L). Pre-Season is for fitness you're right, but when you're new tactics are resulting in only winning 3 out of 8 pre-season games or something, it's clear it's not going to be the biggest season for the club. Plus look at the United squad, SAF I think was the best manager of all time and he and RVP single handedly carried that squad. Moyes is an OK manager, nothing special and it's an OK squad. But City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all look stronger with Arsenal and Spurs having better foundations. This could very much be the beginning of the end for United!
    Pre-season means little, clubs have poor pre-seasons and then go onto have good seasons all the time. So Arsenal and Spurs have better squads and you're not a troll? Okay mate. The chances of either finishing the season ahead of United are slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Pre-season means little, clubs have poor pre-seasons and then go onto have good seasons all the time. So Arsenal and Spurs have better squads and you're not a troll? Okay mate. The chances of either finishing the season ahead of United are slim.
    Lets go through a combined XI for all 3 shall we?

GK: Lloris
    RB: Walker
    CB: Koscielny
    CB: Vert
    LB: Evra
    RM: Walcott
    CM: Wilshere
    CM: Carrick
    LM: Bale
    ST: Van Persie
    ST: Podolski

United have very few World Class Individuals left in their team. Most of the team is past it and no one wants to join a sinking ship (Thiago, Fabregas).

ReputationRep:

United have very few World Class Individuals left in their team. Most of the team is past it and no one wants to join a sinking ship (Thiago, Fabregas).
    Get Podolski and Walker out of there :rofl:

Also put Rafael and either Rooney or Soldado there. Vidic should probably be in there as well but injuries I guess could say not him.

Not sure though why you put Bale in but not Rooney? DDG should be ahead of Lloris as well.

ReputationRep:

Player for player comparisons mean very little, and thats a really, really bad one anyway.

Arsenal have no world class players. Spurs have one who will be staying with them for one season max.

ReputationRep:

podolski has little place in the team.. - would not have him as the second striker by a long way.. I would take soldado, rooney, giroud etc. all over him.

Id take rafael over walker as well, - he was one of united most consistant performers last season, putting in some great games - and getting a few goals..

- its close, but i would also go for DDG instead of Lloris.. - Id rate them similar in terms of ablity currently, but DDG has so so much potential - he will be the best keeper this season..

(not a united fan..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Get Podolski and Walker out of there :rofl:

Also put Rafael and either Rooney or Soldado there. Vidic should probably be in there as well but injuries I guess could say not him.

Not sure though why you put Bale in but not Rooney? DDG should be ahead of Lloris as well.
    Actually yeah I guess Rafa deserves it more than Walker. But Soldado is still give and take. La Liga to EPL is a massive transition.

ReputationRep:
    Actually yeah I guess Rafa deserves it more than Walker. But Soldado is still give and take. La Liga to EPL is a massive transition.
    Michu, Mata, Aguero, Torres, Cazorla all beg to differ. Its not that big of a difference especially when the general state of EPL defending has gone down.

Rafael easily deserves it over Walker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.