Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread X Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Where do you think Manchester City will finish?

I've not watched them in pre-season but they've apparently been really bad and some journalist are saying that the players are finding it hard to adapt to Pelligrini's playing style. I know its only pre-season but if they can't play the way their manager wants then it looks like they're in for a difficult season.

The only reason there hasn't been much said about Manchester City is because the media are too engrossed at whats going on at United. But I can see United finishing second and City third at this rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    Where do you think Manchester City will finish?

I've not watched them in pre-season but they've apparently been really bad and some journalist are saying that the players are finding it hard to adapt to Pelligrini's playing style. I know its only pre-season but if they can't play the way their manager wants then it looks like they're in for a difficult season.

The only reason there hasn't been much said about Manchester City is because the media are too engrossed at whats going on at United. But I can see United finishing second and City third at this rate.
    Tbh, I think United, City and Chelsea have all looked pretty poor in pre-season from what I've seen of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Tbh, I think United, City and Chelsea have all looked pretty poor in pre-season from what I've seen of them.
    I'd say chelsea have been good in pre-season tbh. Bar the madrid match(poor tactics but a loss was expected), we've won every game. Roma game was edgy though but we dispatched the milan clubs with ease and played really well in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Yeah I agree although Chelsea haven't done too badly. But my point being is why people think City will finish above us. Yes they've strengthened their squad but they'll need time to adapt and play as a unit. And having a new manager who knows little about the League surely they shouldn't be second favourites to win the title this year. I think United have a better chance then some people are putting forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I'd say chelsea have been good in pre-season tbh. Bar the madrid match(poor tactics but a loss was expected), we've won every game. Roma game was edgy though but we dispatched the milan clubs with ease and played really well in them.
    Admittedly, I've seen Chelsea the least, and the Real Madrid match sticks out like a sore thumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    LMAO at Cleverley being on the same level as Wilshere. This is pure comedy gold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How many matches has Wilshere played in the last 2 years? Difficult to say that he's on the same level as he was back then before his injuries. Haven't really seen him influence a match since his return.

I'd say they're at about the same level at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    How many matches has Wilshere played in the last 2 years? Difficult to say that he's on the same level as he was back then before his injuries. Haven't really seen him influence a match since his return.

I'm guessing you didn't watch england vs brazil when he dominated them.
    The problem was that wilsheres run in form also coincided with arsenal being in poor form, so since he's not scoring goals and not an assister he's under the radar. But he's much better than cleverley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

forget it mate, questioning the second coming of Jesus/Pele and Marradona that is Wilshere is a crime against humanity on the internet.

when he fails to live up to the hype like most English youngsters it will be us laughing at them but hey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    forget it mate, questioning the second coming of Jesus/Pele and Marradona that is Wilshere is a crime against humanity on the internet.

when he fails to live up to the hype like most English youngsters it will be us laughing at them but hey.
    Arsenal fans do get too happy over Wilshere, but he is a very good player and he will live up to the hype IMO.

Other funny things I've heard are

- Koscielney is better than Vidic
    - Walcott is better than any winger we have (even though he's **** on the wing)
    - Arteta is better than Carrick
    - If they buy Suarez they'll be title contenders
    - We will finish 5th this season below them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Arsenal fans do get too happy over Wilshere, but he is a very good player and he will live up to the hype IMO.

tbh just Arsenal fans I could understand as he's their own player and they have little else to cling to these days, but all England fans doing it (including those who support other teams who think it makes them seem cool and "unbiased" to do so :rolleyes:) is just a joke though, playing the odd great game here and there and otherwise being crocked, banned or unfit/off form really isn't worth the hype he gets at all, I think it says a lot about some so called United "fans" how little they rate our own players as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)

Scores 21 goals almost all from the wing in a season.

'**** on the wing'

Seriously? I understand it's been vogue to hate on Walcott for the past 5 seasons now but this just shows how little of Walcott you watched last season (and the season before).

With regards to Cleverley/Wilshere, Wilshere is clearly a cut above. Cleverley is a tidy player, I actually thought they played quite well together against Brazil, but Wilshere has the ability to grab a game by the balls and drag a team to victory. Cleverley will keep you ticking but is less likely to produce a moment of magic to win a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Scores 21 goals almost all from the wing in a season.

'**** on the wing'

Seriously? I understand it's been vogue to hate on Walcott for the past 5 seasons now but this just shows how little of Walcott you watched last season (and the season before).

With regards to Cleverley/Wilshere, Wilshere is clearly a cut above. Cleverley is a tidy player, I actually thought they played quite well together against Brazil, but Wilshere has the ability to grab a game by the balls and drag a team to victory. Cleverley will keep you ticking but is less likely to produce a moment of magic to win a game.
    he wasn't played on the wing last season though, he played up front...you don't even know where your own players play :lol:

ReputationRep:
    he wasn't played on the wing last season though, he played up front...you don't even know where your own players play :lol:
    Huh? He played about 3 games up front. Giroud/Podolski/Gervinho all played more games up front than Walcott

ReputationRep:
    Tbf Walcott did only play up front briefly at the start of the season, he was mainly played on the wing. Walcott has the standard problem he's had for a long while, he have a blinder score a hat trick then decline for the next few games then bang in two in a game. If we are judging players on their ability in random games, then Nani is the best winger in the league. That said, our winger were abysmal last season but we didn't really play with wingers. Valencia did a job of sorts out wide, Young barely featured, same with Nani, Welbeck played a winger forward role, Kagawa out wide.

Cleverly isn't on the same level as JW, not even close. I would said he's probably in the second tier of European young CM's just behind Thiago and Kroos but alongside the likes of Pogba and Verratii. Clev on the other hand is second rate, much like Welbeck I question whether if he were not at the club already would we consider signing him.

ReputationRep:

Was anyone saying he was the next coming of Jesus, Pele or anyone else? No. It's quite clear the he's a better player than Cleverly though, who is also 3 years older. That doesn't mean he's not overrated by Arsenal fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Tbf Walcott did only play up front briefly at the start of the season, he was mainly played on the wing. Walcott has the standard problem he's had for a long while, he have a blinder score a hat trick then decline for the next few games then bang in two in a game. If we are judging players on their ability in random games, then Nani is the best winger in the league. That said, our winger were abysmal last season but we didn't really play with wingers. Valencia did a job of sorts out wide, Young barely featured, same with Nani, Welbeck played a winger forward role, Kagawa out wide.

Cleverly isn't on the same level as JW, not even close. I would said he's probably in the second tier of European young CM's just behind Thiago and Kroos but alongside the likes of Pogba and Verratii. Clev on the other hand is second rate, much like Welbeck I question whether if he were not at the club already would we consider signing him.
    I thought Walcott played so much better before he signed his £100,000 a week contract. But I agree Nani is better than any of our and Arsenals wingers when he is fully fit and not injured that is.

And I don't know why some United fans think Cleverly is better or at the same standard as Wilshere. Wilshere is way better whether they admit it or not. Yes his been injured most of the time but when fully fit he can change a game on his own which Cleverly simply can't do. I don't even know why we have this debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Was anyone saying he was the next coming of Jesus, Pele or anyone else? No. It's quite clear the he's a better player than Cleverly though, who is also 3 years older. That doesn't mean he's not overrated by Arsenal fans.
    I disagree, he has the potential to be better than Cleverley but right now I would say they are about level. (apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, he has the potential to be better than Cleverley but right now I would say they are about level. (apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)
    its not banned on the internet... just pretty commonly seen as ****ing stupid

I like both players, and both clubs pretty equally... but cleverly is still in the 'showing promise' phase

Whereas wilshire, when fit, just makes you sit back and admire.. some of his games (brazil, barca, etc) have been incredible.. - if it wasn't for wenger's bad management of him, then we would be seeing him a lot more, and all be praising him..

ReputationRep:
    (apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)
    as for this section.. its just plain silly..

Wilshire: 7 caps
    Cleverly: 9 caps

- though considering:

Cleverly is 3 years older,
    Wilshire was injured for 18 months..

-- the fact that he has anywhere near as many caps as Cleverly just shows how valued he is by the national manager..

ReputationRep:
    I think Wilshere is a very good player but overrated by Arsenal fans and some England fans as if hes the second coming of Jesus Christ. :lol:

However people underrate him as well thats for sure. Hes one of those where hes underrated at times and overrated as well.

Hes better then Cleverly thats for sure even if hes had injuries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.